UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Psych Poll…but UK albums this time!

Hi Psych fans!

I’ve recently been asked if I would be doing any more UK Psychedelia Polls. I’ve done 3 “Greatest British Psychedelic Song” and broadcast the results on my Rose Coloured Glasses show. The last poll was heard a couple of years ago on the 500th edition of RCG.
Well the 600th RCG is due in May 2022, so to celebrate I think we should have another poll!
Only this time it’ll be the Greatest British Psychedelic Album!
In fact it needs to be two polls in one.
Firstly, i’ll be asking for votes regarding ‘Original’ albums as released back in the day (though I suspect most votes will be for 60s LP’s, there is no restriction on release dates).
The second section will be for the Best CD Compilations by individual acts (no various artist collections). There have been a wealth of ‘posthumous’ compilations by groups that never released an album back in the day…from Tintern Abbey to Turquoise, Dantalian’s Chariot to One in a Million etc etc dozens of them, and also there have been many collections of previously unreleased material by the more commercially successful bands, The Beatles’ Anthology being the most obvious example. It’s those releases that qualify in Section 2. (No straight Greatest Hits releases please).

So once again I’m asking for your Top 5 favourites, in order of preference please, as your Top pick receives 10 points, second pick 7 points, and on downwards 5, 3 and 1 point.
But obviously this time I want 2 lots of Top 5’s!

Voting is open now, and will stay open until midnight 30th April, so you have a whole month to ponder and revise your choices before sending them in.
Once you’ve decided then please send your votes to mickcapewell@yahoo.co.uk
Or send them by personal message to me on facebook.
Please don’t send them in public comments because i may very well miss them if they are scattered here there and everywhere.

Obviously get in touch if you have any queries…the most common one is always “what qualifies as British?” My answer to that is if the majority of a group’s members are British, they were based in Britain and they tended to record in Britain, then they are eligible…so that means The Jimi Hendrix Experience are in…but a Swedish band with an English bass player are out 🤔

Please pass this on to any of your Psych-loving friends as, obviously, I’d like to receive as many votes as possible.
It’ll probably take two 3 hour shows to broadcast the results this time, RCG #599 and #600, on Saturday nights in late May. The shows will, of course, then be uploaded to my Mixcloud page, where the previous poll shows still reside.
Anyway, i hope to receive your votes soon.
Ta very muchly 👍

Re: New Psych Poll…but UK albums this time!

Cheers Mick. Hope it's a success.

Thanks. It’s a bit of fun but people seem to like this sort of thing. So please vote Vote VOTE! 👍

A question Mick. Where does The Action-Rolled Gold sit when voting? It's an original album that didn't (but should have) get a release back in the day.
The Ultimate Action comp is easy to place, but I'm sure there are others that may be like this.

Hi, like i said, ‘posthumous’ collections of previously unreleased material such as Rolled Gold belong in Section 2. 👍

Mick Capewell
Hi, like i said, ‘posthumous’ collections of previously unreleased material such as Rolled Gold belong in Section 2. 👍
Hi Mick
This looks like fun!
The first part is easy, you just have to put each disk in its order. I only have the first one decided.
The second part is already more complicated, you have to know how to distinguish between rare things and good things.
Count on me!
José

Thanks Jose 👍