UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: the 2004 "Who Would Have Thought"3 cd bix set,what bloody happened??

Thank you Paul,for such a thoughtful and thorough reply,and providing the tracklist to Dream Weavers,the only one i've not heard of is both the Bill Ramsay songs,fortunately i do have all the other songs included.I was surprised at the choice of The Everly Brothers songs,i was expecting something later than 66 for some reason,but the song"The Collector"is a brilliant song,absolutely fabulous.

You mentioned Bobby Darin,yes both albums you mention are terrific,i was lucky to buy both twofer cds at the time off their issue,and i have saw that both cds are getting very expensive,plus their was a vinyl only release of this era of Bobby Darin a couple of years ago though.I recommend both those albums,to anyone whenever i get the chance too,as they will get the surprise off their lives,the same with Chubby Checker "Chequered" album,some people won't believe what they are hearing,very much like Del Shannons"Further Adventures of Charles Westover",albums that are all good and original works,from very unexpected acts,for those individuals to release a song or two of experimental sounds,i imagine would've been expected at the time......but whole albums of material that are mainly self written and utterly different from their usual fare,for me gives them extra kudos,and NOT bandwagon jumpers,that have been aimed at them.

I watched the small video ,it's based on the original Mojo article from near 20 years ago,as its the same artistes and albums mentioned in the video,the featured on that original Mojo magazine article.There is so much more.......it's a part off the psych era and after,that is very interesting,that mainstream acts ,got the time and chance to experiment and try something different,it's a part of music from this era,thats hardly been touched upon ,and everyone i've heard ,has at least been interesting,and in many cases excellent.Cilla Black did 2,fabulous songs Abyssinian Secret and a cover of Skip Bifferty number Follow The Path of The stars,both songs are so different from her usual material,but are excellent,having George Martin producing couldn't have been a hindrance.

Or Shirley Bassey with her"Something"album ,or Eartha Kitt"Sentimental Eartha"album which are both albums were both singers updated their sound,mainly their version off popular songs from the psych era,Basseys version off"Spinning Wheel"is ultra funky and groovy,and Earthas versions of Donovan songs are good and recorded and performed in her own way........i love albums like this.

Even a few years later,a teen group like The Osmonds,released the album"Crazy Horses",THAT album is very good,it's a good rock album,there is some fabulous guitar on this album,and mainly self written.They even did a sorta concept album titled "The Plan",which as you can imagine is rather mixed in its success.It shows me if a mainstream,chart friendly act is given the chance to do their own thing in a differnt sound,THEY can come up with some marvellous results,songs and sounds.

Some did get the chance,but for one or two songs,look at Roy Orbison B side track"Southbound Jericho Parkway",thats like 3 songs in one song,it's a fabulous creation,and he deserves kudos for such an experimental but successful creation.

One off songs from the likes of Mat Monroe with a sitar laden track,and Billy Fury recorded some marvellous songs,while with Parlophone,unfortunately ,many never got released,but since then,many have become available,he really could have put together a fine and different sounding album for that time.

Of course you have the likes of Demis Roussos,who did become a big household name,but his past with Aphrodites Child and his first solo album "The Greek Side off My Mind",sounds like a total LSD ridden hippie,instead of a housewives favourite wearing xxlarge kaftans.

It's just for me a fascinating,and very interesting subject,groups and singers,even orchestra leaders like James Last,doing "different"things with their music.In fact many orchestra leaders DID do different things in library recordings and soundtracks......some great music was recorded,with hammond,fuzzed guitars,and even sitar laced numbers.......the Italian library recordings from this time,some are absolutely brilliant,and for me as a whole,library recordings and soundtrack music,is a massively mostly untapped resource for psychedelia enthusiasts,companies like KPM and DeWolfe,but there where many throughout europe in the 60s and 70s who recorded marvellous groovy sounds,which where not meant for public release,but fortunately someone thought many were good enough to be made available for public consumption,and some are brilliant!!

Apologies i've prattled on Paul,but i'm enthusiastic about this little niche in my musical interests,mainstream goes odd........there are many ,many examples....only the tip off the iceberg has been chipped at!!!!