UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The well is dry, Jimmehs

Hmmm,i read this thread of posts,and realised the original post was 2 years ago......i'm going to be the dissenter here.........but i do understand many will think it's drying up.......i personally don't!!

The internet has spoiled us,it's made many albums that are impossible to find,more accessable,to even hear those albums,it could take years ....but now with many it's a 1 minute search,and that elusive album from 69 is in front off you........if you are happy with a download,thats fine,but like most on here ,i want a physical product in my hand,i don't buy vinyl,i only buy cds,so from my point of view,there are going to be many albums i'd love to see on cd,but aren't.

Personally i don't have a massive trawl like Wallace,yes i read all the reference books,but i have not written a huge list off albums to trawl youtube or any other music search like spotify etc......i just don't do it,for me personally it takes much fun from the idea of "discovering"an album....i like surprises,and yes a "surprise" can be crap and costly,but on cd it's mainly not,buying vinyl it can be!!I NEED that element in my collecting,so i did not read the list Wallace wrote,obviously if an album on cd is recommended from someone else,i will possibly order it,but i remember a big part of collecting music was that element of anticipation to hear this for the first time.........everyone must remember that??Or am i a freak?

I will NOT let the internet spoil that for me..it's what you make it,it's whatever you want from it.Personally in my experience,i have found many collectors "greedy",there's never enough for some people,they want it all NOW,with the internet,those people can have a lot NOW!!!It's not for me,i DON'T download music,it does very little for me,maybe i'm an obsessive,but it's like a ritual for me,ordering a cd,the anticipation waiting for the postie,it arrives,the unwrapping off it,taking the cellophane off it,then put it on the cd player,and wait for the first notes,and if you're lucky to have a booklet,read while it plays........if it's a disappointment,it's part off the game for me,or it can be the opposite,im ecstatic at the enjoyment i get,THAT is what collecting for me is about!!

I feel guys like Wallace,want it ALL...if he wants to trawl the internet for hundreds off albums,and finds the majority crap,fair enough,that's his prerogative,and ONLY his opinion on those albums.....but he writes as if his word is the final word......it isn't ,it's HIS opinion!!That is all!!WE all have our things in music we like or hate......so i found this post,rather depressing,the sage Wallace telling us all its dry out there,if YOU want it to be,possibly!!Its AGAIN personal choice.......for me i know there are thousands off albums i still want to hear and if ever available on cd to purchase,and i have the funds i will,but i don't always have the funds,and i accept that,when i was younger i found that frustrating,and in the days of cdr trading,i took part in that......with many folks who are still taking part on here.BUT if an album came out on cd,with artwork,booklet etc,the cdr would get dumped,i like a physical product in my hands!!It's what YOU are happy with as an individual.

So Wallace,if you're trawling hundreds off albums on the internet.....where are you doing this?Are you listening to the whole album and NOT skipping through them?Do you see the artwork ?Are you only listening to them once?There's so many things to take into consideration with this type of post Wallace started!!There are many albums i did not care much for at first,but love now,it's all perspective,its all mood,it's all circumstance.......so this original post for me is not true,it maybe is for Wallace.......which is no surprise ,if hes trawling through lists of albums!!

HIS opinion,and i've disagreed with his opinion many times on here,so i'll take this with an enormous pinch of salt.......music and collecting is what YOU want from it,and i certainly don't want it the way Wallace is doing it.......but that's just me,a middle aged bloke,who doesnt want it all NOW,in my younger days when this type of music was totally NEW to me......of course i was hungry for more......even insatiable........but after many years,i'm not in such a hurry to hear it all and have it all,then tell everyone its mostly all crap left.....i'll discover that for myself,it's part off this i love,discovering.............so wallace can stick his "all crap left"up his crapper!!!

Amen.