UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NEIL INNES-AN APPRECIATION.

Stu…you should get payment for that biographical article on Neil Innes! It’s an amazing amount of information and worthy of Sweet Floral Albion or Mojo or any music magazine. It’s more a musical retrospective, I suppose, than a biography, but I’m impressed by the thoroughness of your deep dive into the music of Neil Innes. For a long time I knew him as the Rutles guy, and then his solo album “How Sweet to Be An Idiot” which is pretty good. I recently stumbled upon his shot at mainstream group “The World” album. You’re right, Stu, it’s in the vein of Badfinger and early 70’s pop. I like it. It’s in the same category as the first album by the 70’s band Blue. Blue were a trio who made one really fine debut album. Their later albums went for a West Coast sound I don’t think really worked, but that first Blue album is quite good.
I also have to mention that Ollie Halsall, who played with Kevin Ayers and Neil Innes, also appears on an album by Terry Stamp called “Fatsticks” that I like a lot. Terry Stamp was in the band Third World War. I also really like Ollie Halsall’s playing on Michael D’Albuquerque’s album “We May Be Cattle But We’ve All Got Names”. It’s a good 70’s album by a bass player who was in Electric Light Orchestra for a while. His solo work doesn’t sound much like ELO though.

You should write liner notes, biographies or something Stuart.

Excellent article as alwyas, Stuart!
I would add the shortlived FREAKS band that performed at Top Gear and three songs co-signed by Innes on Brian Patten's Vanishing Trick

Thank you Joe,Greg,Gian
Nah guys,its all for fun and enjoyment,i think when you start writing for mags etc,the fun can go,as you're writing on demand and have timelines,though i did write a few pieces for SFA that they used,like others who still take part here,but man that's like over 15 years ago,it's peaks and troughs with me guys,i do it when i feel like it,but my motivation can fly out the window the following day.

When i do these things,like State of Micky and Tommy written Johnny Halliday songs,i listen to everything i have in my collection,just like the Neil Innes thing,sometimes it's very enjoyable to hear all those things again,other times it can be a drag,but its just for enjoyment that sometimes i put it down in writing,no matter how it turns out,and if any soul gets anything from it,thats a bonus.

i'm a non committal bloke,like to do things when i feel like it,thats the way i try and live my life day to day,hence im nearly 55,never been married have no kids,never drove,don't commit to any political ideaology,i like what i like,i think what i think.

So thank you for the nice words guys,you put a smile on my face tonight.