UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Darkening Violet

Jose,Clown recorded an album early 70/71,which saw a vinyl release in the last couple of years by a Greek label,i think it was Anazitisi records.It contains 12 tracks,and it's titled "Lord Of The Ringside",named after the song,which is of course included on this album.

I know absolutely nothing about this compilation , the copy I have is a bit hissy & only 192kb/s but still an enjoyable listen .

https://krakenfiles.com/view/lx4NlfKXVy/file.html

Enjoy ....

Thank you Stuart and Wanderer.
Thanks for info and the mp3. It looks like a comp. private titles are written in ballpoint pen on the paper of a CD-R, with scratches, which seem to be rectifications of the selection of the CD-R.
I have always been very interested in private compilations, since they have total freedom to choose the songs.
cheers
José

Darkening Violets was issued originally as a CDR (never an official or proper CD release) and was quite difficult to get hold of (pre-streaming days). Some copies had playback issues and the silver play sides did have marks and scratches on some copies. No idea who made it though. It had a dark mauve / violet cover with a typed track list on the back. It was made as a light hearted repost to the Fading Yellow series by pointing to the more progressive end of 60s music which was not that well reissued at the time.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

As much as Lord Of The Ringside is very good, unfortunately the rest of their output doesn't match it, imo.

Greg,Clown can sound like Audience in my opinion,not early Audience of the first 2 album Audience(69)and Friends,Friends,Friends(70),but the final 2 House On The Hill(71) and Lunch,certainly not as good as Audience,but i do think Lord Of The Ringside is one of their best numbers,and they do have quite a few others that i feel are as good,but i do find the use of sax can be irritating in prog or psych infused albums,but if this came out on cd,i'd buy it,as theres enough good material with that early 70s sound i like for me to put down some notes.