UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
End Of An Era: Compilation Freebie

Hi Psychsters

I've put together a comp called "The End Of An Era" It's more of a compilation with psych tracks than a psychedelic compilation per se. There's mod, glam, stoner, electronic, pop and weird stuff included and features some of the artists mentioned in my posts and many all time favourites of mine. I've thrown in a smattering of covers and songs you'll be familiar with.

The compilation starts off with lighter, 'playful' tunes and transcends into heavier and more 'weirded' stuff. So don't say you wern't warned. 60 tracks in total should provide you with 3 - 4 hours listening. Hopefully there is more to like than dislike but feel free to cherry pick the stuff you like and ditch the rest. (I'll never know) Cover art included. You can download here:

https://krakenfiles.com/view/FNZXxEA4of/file.html

Tracklist
01. John Pantry - Glasshouse Green. Splinter Red
02. Men Without Hats - On Tuesday
03. Jesus Sixto Rodriguez - Sugar Man
04. Aphrodites Child - The Four Horsemen
05. Jackie Lee - Theme From White Horses
06. The Appletree Theatre - I Wonder If Louise Is Home
07. Beth Orton/Chemical Brothers - Where Do I Begin?
08. Chemical Brothers - Hanna's Theme
09. Hangman's Beautiful Daughters - Love Is Blue
10. Dry Ice - Mary Is Alone
11. Ed Askew - Love Is Everywhere
12. The Dead Poppies - Vote Of Confidence
13. Silk Winged Dream - Hometown
14. The Jetset - Wednesday Girl
15. Collapsable Heart Club - Easy Street
16. Men Without Hats - Jenny Wore Black
17. The Electric Crayon Set - Kitty Ruxpin
18. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Fishing For Fishies
19. The Raveonettes - Love In A Trashcan
20. Surprise - Maybe I'm Wrong, Maybe I'm Right
21. Norma Tenega - You're Dead
22. The Weltons - Hang 10 Hang 10
23. Bubbles - This Is Where The Hurdie Gurdie Heebie Geebie
Greenie Man Came In
24. Hello - Another School Day
25. Ananda Shanka - Jumpin' Jack Flash
26. Thievery Corporation - The Fogotten People
27. Goat - Talk To God
28. Ramayana Soul - Rhakasa
29. Anton Barbeau - Love Is Onion
30. The Lovely Eggs - Magic Onion
31. Milo Black - The Magic Seaweed Song
32. Anton Barbeau - Heavy Psychedelic Toilet
33. Stump - Charlton Heston
34. WAR - Spill The Wine
35. The Liminanas - Migas 2000
36. L'Epee - Dreams
37. Les Pomme De Lune - Les Chimeres
38. Dry Ice - Ocean
39. The Magic Mushroom Band - Pictures In My Mind
40. Hawkwind - Right To Decide
41. Wall Of Voodo - Mexican Radio (Dub Mix)
42. Devo - Human Rocket
43. Caesars - Jerk It Out
44. Parquet Courts - Dust
45. Dressy Bessy - Tiny Lil Robots
46. Starcrawler - Bet My Brains
47. Monkey 3 - Numb
48. Plasticland - Elongations
49. Baby Woodrose - Blows Your Mind
50. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Robot Stop
51. Sheep On Drugs - Uberman
52. Devo - R U Experienced
53. Beautiful People - Get Your Mind Together
54. FAB featuring MC No 6 - The Prisoner (Free Man Mix)
55. Unireverse - Brainticket (Edited)
56. Chemical Brothers - The Devil Is In The Mix
57. Fischerspoon - Emerge
58. The Normal - Warm Leatherette
59. Killing Joke - Turn To Red
60. Pierre Henry/Christopher Tyng - Psyche Rock/Futurama Mashup

Enjoy
PPP

P.S. Comments (good, bad or indifferent) are welcomed.

Re: End Of An Era: Compilation Freebie

Ohhh,you've been busy old chum.

I see you have a mix of older 60s and 70s stuff and more recent(if 30 years is recent?)neo psych and other tastes of sounds.........i do see there are legit comps with old and newer psychedelia on the same menu,in particular the French comps of psychedelia that have been recently issued,and featured in reviews in Shindig magazine.

I admittedly in general don't listen to much newer psychedelia,and i mean from 80s and after,but i'm even quite picky with my interest if its later 70s psych.Though i absolutely loved Kula Shaker,Inspiral Carpets,The Charlatans and Supergrass,though not really psych possibly,but all certainly influenced by 60s sounds.Even today in 2022 i still mentally look upon them as new music......go figures when its near 30 years ago.......heehee.

As for mixing old and new,it's a concept i don't like when it comes to legit comps,i'd rather have a complete comp of either 60s 0r 70s.......but not mixed with 80s,90s,or 2000s,maybe its the obsessive compulsive side of me,where i personally would never mix them on any comp i did.

For me i love that analogue,4 or 8 tracked heavily compressed sound from 60s studios,which has never been bettered since the introduction of more and more tracks,from 4 tra ck to 16 track happened very quickly,then onto 32 track......then impressive developments for home recording,and then of course onto unlimited technology with digital....i personally think many 80s recordings sound horrible,with awful drum sound and just too slick sounding making many 80s recordings sound more dated than many 60s recordings.

so my twisted brain would not relate to those different sounds,and would certainly not have a uniformed sound that many analog recordings have,in my mind and ears,its like mixing oil and water,it doesn't mix!!

I do appreciate some bands do attempt to sound 60s,like original psychedelic recordings,even turning to using analog mixing consels and recording equipment.....but still i wouldn't mix them with older psych,maybe THAT says more about me and my quirks,and oddities.....?

Hey,thats just me,and i maybe the oddity in this crowd.

Hi Stu

No worries bud, each to their own. I'm just grateful for an opinion. I think I've said before in other posts that I don't get 'stuck' in particular genres, decades or artists as I find it too limiting. Psychedelic music is more of a theme that runs through the plethora of musical styles that I listen to.

If there was an aim in putting this together and sharing it was simply that the tunes presented are ones I really like and I thought that there's a chance that some might be being heard for the first time and might illicit a similar response. Nobody (apart from me) will like them all and I encourage people to ditch what doesn't suit and keep the rest. I frequently do that with other peoples comps/recommendations.

Listening to the DIY compilations offered on RZ (and I've gone through all of them) I can't ignore the fact that many consist of 60's Pop, Freakbeat, Soft Rock, Garage etc and not much that I would consider psychedelic, which is somewhat ironic considering that they are being offered on a "Psychedelic Discussion Forum". This is NOT a judgement on the content therein but rather a statement of fact, and I commend the effort involved in researching, acquiring, compiling and sharing. As anyone who has ever attempted this task knows it takes a heck of a lot of time.

I note that this comp has been downloaded 25 times and this is the first acknowledgement. So many thanks for taking the time for 'putting pen to paper'. Seems the majority can't be bothered or maybe they're just being politely non-commital.
PPP

Hello Mark,
I was certainly not criticising anyones creativity in their putting together of comps,in particular your recent kind offering,i was just saying what i personally like,and the hang ups i have in this upside down world that is my brain.Also i though it worthy of commenting as you had taken the time to put it together,and share it...i don't know what's happening on here,as it's very quiet indeed,i also attempt to comment on others posts,as there's nothing worse than having something to say....and then nothing comes back at all in reply......as this IS a discussion group,but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much discussion....maybe peeps are just talked out??

I personally think at this time when the world is going nuts,it's good to get away from all that,and escape into musical territory,hence i do still frequent on here,and since a good soul pays to keep this up and running,the least i can do is still try and contribute,and attempt to get responses and some discussion going,and get a bit of life back into this place,but there seems to be a lack of interest...maybe others have too much going on in life,as i have in the past not took part as much as i used too,but much of that was down to bad health.

I personally dislike when people pop up out of nowhere,only to ask for copies of this or that,but NEVER contribute anything to the actual discussions,and you never hear from them again,i've found many music collectors,rather greedy,never appeased in their search for sounds,this want,want,want does my head in.....and there are good peeps like yourself who do make many things available,but receive no feedback at all..but i love it when new peeps ask about things on here,information about an artist or song,as it is a duscussion group....but DON'T ask for copies of this and that,realising a bit of etiquete and involvement in keeping this group ticking should occur BEFORE asking for anything to be shared to them musical wise.
THAT'S just my wee annoyances,irritations and peevs.

Some new blood would be welcome on here....but really it's such a niche thing what we discuss on here.There have been many through the years who have contributed here,it makes you wonder where all those people go?

Music is my only hobby or real interest,and there are 3 groups i do take part in,including here,but at one time,there were so many chat groups,it was at saturation point,and many of those groups were frequented by the same folks,but today i do think it is different,after Yahoo etc got rid of that discussion group capacity,so i take part on 2 FB music groups and here,unfortunately i get banned from taking part on FB by FB a fair bit,because of points of view i have,that do NOT conform with the views of FB,they call it misinformation and disinformation,but THAT is all bollocks.So there are months i can't contribute anything to those FB groups,and it can be bloody frustrating.

So i for one,appreciate this place,i've been coming here since day one really,when there was no 2 in the groups name.So i'm thankful it's still here,with the likes of yourself taking part and going beyond the call off duty,but sometimes i do wonder if it is appreciated as much by others....i don't know Mark........

First Stu, I read no criticism in your reply, just your statement of personal taste and certainly no offence taken. As you went on to explain in your reply the world is a changing place and people have become complacent when it comes to the exchange of their opinion. But you are right and I am often dismayed by the lack of discussion in what is ostensibly a "discussion group" and wish that more would join in. I invariably finish my posts by asking for feedback but you can only do so much and lurkers will be lurkers no matter what.

I've hunted for other similar groups but with little success. Could you please provide site details for the other groups you mentioned as I'd like to visit and try to draw in some "new blood"

Yes, I agree Crimblecrumble was very kind in renewing the group licence for another year and we should all do our utmost to support this gesture and not let it be a case of "if you snooze, you lose"

I can't imagine you getting "banned" from FB. Sure you can be controversial when you speak from the heart, but never offensive. FB on the other hand has a lot to answer for with it's so called 'privacy policy' allowing self harm groups, hate incitement and the likes to proliferate whilst making billions through unsolicited advertising but that's a rant for a different place than this.

To get back to the point, if any one is reading this having listened to the comp give us your '10 penneth worth' and let's get TALKIN'

PPP