UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Guide To The DIY Compilations Of Regal Zonophone

Hi Psychsters,

Many of the DIY compilations offered on RZ have unfortunately been lost to time. Those offered can be hard to locate or end in deleted/dead links, leaving you little option but to hunt elsewhere or ask for help, which is far from convenient.

I am anxious that they are not forgotten and that they are accessible to anyone who wants a copy. To this end I have created a database listing as many RZ releases as I could find. The only exceptions to this are the U-Spaces compilations, as I feel they are musically important, frequently discussed on RZ and can be considered DIY, as they were never released commercially.

I've managed to source many titles (over 300 volumes). Many files have been retagged. Cover art, track lists and liner notes are included, if they were offered originally, others have been made afresh and there is a DOWNLOAD LINK for each title.

You can download as many as you like. All I ask in return is that you help to complete the database by supplying missing music files and providing missing data. I've tried to make this simple with colour coding to assist you. Green = Obtained Red = Needed.

The database resides on Google Drive. You don't need to be logged into a Google account to view it. It's a big document with 8 columns so don't forget to scroll right to see them all. I'd bookmark the page as you will undoubtedly want to make a return visit. All downloads links have been checked for accuracy and are working fine. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GWFYGXzKmEQKGcJF8hnGtNsqBxjLYUpA5DiViuhgbvM/edit?usp=sharing

Alternatively you can download as a PDF file from Google Drive (File>Download>PDF>Export) or an Excel file here https://www.mediafire.com/file/5th4yzcu5byn5ca/A_Guide_To_The_DIY_Compilations_Of_RZ.xls/file TIP: You could use the Excel file to enter missing information and mail it back to me.

If I might quote Donald Rumsfeld, "There are known knowns, (these are the ones on the database) then there are unknown knowns (these are not on the database and I'm asking for your help to inform me of them) then there are unknown unknowns" If anyone offers any "unknown unknown's" maybe you should cut down on the weed!

To make this clear I'm asking for help with TWO things:

1) ON the database: missing music files highlighted RED and missing info highlighted RED .
2) NOT ON the database: any titles you know of. The criteria are that they MUST be DIY and have been offered for share on Regal Zonophone. It's mostly titles pre 2010 as I could not access these earlier posts.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1. Hunt through your compilations. Rip & zip your disc(s) OR zip any folder(s), then upload the zipped file to a file share service. e.g. Kraken, Mega or Mediafire, and email me the link(s). Alternative methods of sharing are acceptable. e.g. Soulseek.
If you are not sure how, mail me and I'll send you a step-by-step guide.
2. Email me missing cover art, dates and authors
3. If you know of titles that are NOT on the database please provide as much information as you have. i.e. title, author, date, download link.
4. If you notice any errors on the database or disagree with content please let me know and I will correct it.

PLEASE USE THIS ADDRESS FOR ALL CORRESPONDANCE, USING THE EMAIL LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE regalzonecomps@gmail.com NOTE: This link is also on Google Drive (top left)

I realize it's a big ask but as the saying goes.... "Many hands make a big round of applause"

Talking of which, I'd like to thank Paul Martin, OneShedPhil & Stuart Robertson for their assistance. Special thanks go to Jose Kortozirkuito for his invaluable advice and technical expertise, without which this project would never have been realized. Jose puts a lot of effort and knowledge into his excellent blog site and I recommend that you pay a visit as there is much to read and download. Muchas gracias amigo. https://tommentonenlacuadra.blogspot.com/

DISCLAIMER: Wherever possible, I've contacted the author requesting permission to share their compilations publicly. However due to the fluctuating membership and deleted posts some contacts have been lost. In such cases I've made the decision to offer the download. If I receive notification that I am sharing without consent I will remove the download link within 24 hours. NOTE: Downloads are for personal use only. Unauthorized copying, hiring, lending, selling, public performance and broadcasting are NOT permitted.

Regards,
Mark Kupsz aka PPP

Re: A Guide To The DIY Compilations Of Regal Zonophone

Unfortunately I was unable to send an email copy of this post to the following people as either I didn't have an address or the one I had no longer worked. If you contact me I will add your details to my email list so that you are kept aware of news & future projects.

Trevor Bannister
JJ
Crystal Voyager
Dave Shackley
Flaxton
Perkins Purple
Planxty
Maurice

Anyone else who DID NOT receive the email is welcome to contact me and I will add you also.

Thanks,
Mark

What a task. Well done Mark and others.

Trevor Bannister? Not this one? Lovers From The Sky is one of thee great 60's psych tracks. Unfortunately due to all that was going on at Apple at the time it was never released.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/7172447-Trevor-Bannister-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KcAnIaoSxc

And would JJ be the person behind the Fading Yellow series?

Well done Mark a excellent job well done

Hi Mark. You've done a great job of putting all the links in one place, thanks for that. I did notice though that the link for Acid Oranges & Circles Of Green and the And What Do You Do? Occupational Songs From The 60's are the same. Could you please provide a link for the Acid Oranges comp? Many thanks.

Hi Zipper

Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now. I've added you to the email list so that you'll receive future notifications without having to visit RZ.

Enjoy
PPP

Since posting the database on Saturday Jose and I have been delighted with the response and the numerous thanks and messages of support we have received. We'd like to thank everyone who has contacted us with information and particularly those who have made the effort to supply us with music files and cover art or will be doing so in the near future.

Please keep checking back as download links to some of the titles currently missing will be added and new titles that we did not previously know about will also be added. We cannot emphasize enough that this project is a 'work in progress' and its completeness relies on YOUR imput. Please help us turn those red cells into green.

Don't be put off by not being sure of how to get stuff to us. I have prepared 'how to guides' explaining how to rip, zip and upload files and folders. Just send me an email and I'll get you sorted.

Recent additions include:
"Covered By Currents" Vols 3, 4, 5, & 8 supplied by Andy Shill. Does any one know if there was ever any cover art for these? If not how about getting creative and knocking some up? I did ask Doctor Gaz but he seems to have gone AWOL.
Glammish Rockish supplied by Gian aka Pink Moon
Wigout Vol 3 also from Andy. Anyone got Vols 1 & 2? Preferably with tagged files or failing that a track list.

Stay tuned for more news updates in the next few days.

Regards Mark & Jose

Hi Mark, sorry for delay I've been heavily immersed in various projects. If anyone wants to contribute album art for my c by c volumes - feel free and please submit them to the archive admin peeps. I'm hoping to knock out 2 more volumes of c by c for autumn soon, sometimes I hold out whilst waiting for certain tracks to materialise but then there's always next time.

Hi Gary

I'm a big fan of the C by C's. Great to hear that more are coming. Thanks for OK-ing the cover art.

Right folks the gaunlet has been thrown, who will take up the challenge?

Mark

Hi Folks

First I'd like to thank all the kind folk who sent messages of support and have offered help or indeed provided it already. The first week was a bit frantic with emails arriving hourly.

Through our combined efforts we have unearthed several previously unknown titles that have been added to the database and several more that we are yet to acquire. The fact that we can already offer 91% of the titles shared on RZ is amazing but wouldn't it be brilliant if we could make it 100%? With your help I'm sure that is possible.

I know that people have searched hard drives and rummaged through draws looking for long forgotten compilations and that effort is much appreciated. However the titles below are proving to be elusive. I kindly ask that if you haven't already done a search or have promissed to send stuff that you try your best to help us finish this important project.

Kind Regards,
Mark

Bee Gee Songs
Captain Groovy's Bubblegum Army
Circuses, Fairgrounds And Magical Things : Songs From Southern Lands
Cobwebs & Strange Vol 1
Discogadelia One : US Psych Pop And Acid Rock 45s
Feminesque
Femmes Down Under : Down Under Dolly Mixture Vol.1
Freak Vibrations Vol 2
Frog Prog Vol 1 : Balancement Clandestin Francais
Frog Prog Vol.2 : French Underground Rock (1969-1974)
Going Through A Phase Vols 1 - 5
Lysergic Southern Ditties : Love Songs From Down Under
Males Pop (1966-1974)
Michel Polnareff (1966-1972)
Paul & Barry Ryan : Magical Spiel: The Unreleased Ryans: A Sampler
Scrapbook Prog : Down Under Dolly Mixtures (x2)
Sixties Kitten Vol 1 & 2
Sous Les Paves, La Plage Aux Romantiques 22 Mor Songs (1969-1978)
Sweetness & Light, Hot ‘N’ Heavy
The Darkness Through The Smoke: Dark and Moody Sounds 1969 - 1974
U Spaces 10th Anniversary Compilation (2007)
U-Spaces Pop Works
We Can’t Face The Animals : Foppish Pop From Late 60's Britannia

If you haven't been checking the database for updates recently here is a list of titles added in the last month.

A Phase We're Going Through
Cobwebs & Strange Vol 1
Discogadelia One : US Psych Pop And Acid Rock 45s
Michel Polnareff (1966-1972)
Paul & Barry Ryan : Magical Spiel: The Un-reissued Ryans: A Sampler
Sweetness & Light, Hot ‘N’ Heavy
We Can’t Face The Animals : Foppish Pop From Late 60's Britannia
The Observations Of Evil Lighthouse Jim
Enter The World Of Evil Lighthouse Jim
Inside The Mind Of Evil Lighthouse Jim
Share The Visions Of Evil Lighthouse Jim
Covered By Currents Vol 9
Covered By Currents Vol 10

Enjoy
PPP

Hi Psychsters

It has come to my attention that some of the MediaFire links have become a little erratic/unreliable. In the first instance try the link on another day as download issues are often resolved. Failing that let me know and I will replace the link with an alternative.

The total list of downloads complete with available art is about 52Gb. You might want to archive these for future reference and enjoyment.

Greg is slowly supplying me with his extensive "Evil Lighthouse Jim" series of 70's prog rockers. So if that's your bag be sure to check the database for these new downloads.

I'm still chasing a few peeps regarding stuff they have promissed but not yet delivered... if you think that might be YOU!!... shake a leg, matey.

Finally, we are always up for NEW comp titles. So get creative and bang one out why don't ya? I will be offering up a new compie closer to Xmas for all the children who have been well behaved this year.

PPP