UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaughan Thomas (lack of) reissue

hello everyone,

I don't know if RZ is the right place to ask.

Trying to listen to Vaughan Thomas output online today (and not succeeding!) I told myself that it was one of the last great UK pop artists that really deserved the complete reissue treatment with album, singles and hopefully unreleased tracks, demos etc.

I remember a post in one of the old yahoo group where someone was mentioning that Cherry Red tried to get him to reissue his music on CD but that he was not interested.

Is someone in the know about that or about other attempts at reissuing his music?

There're comments on some of the youtube videos for his songs where people are talking about the town where he lives now so locating him seems possible and I'd glad to contribute to get his music out.

I really love Vaughan Thomas music, the perfect example of the "Tea & Symphony"/"Come join my orchestra" sound.

BiteItDeep blog on VT

Cedric

Re: Vaughan Thomas (lack of) reissue

Mark Frumento in the US may know more as he was very into getting VT's stuff out as well (similar time to when he was in contact with Mark Wirtz and all the music that came out of that). I don't know what his email is these days though or if he still reads RZ posts. I have the original 1971 VT LP on Jam and several of the singles (on Columbia I think and Jam, I used to keep an eye for them). There was a move to get his back catalogue re-issued at one time but as you say he wasn't interested which is a real shame, it's great pop. I often think artists do their old recordings down without re-listening to them, they just have an issue not usually music related that seems to put them off. Sometimes it is because of how they were treated by record labels, managers etc. that causes upset to recall, especially if the records didn't sell well so feel it all best left alone.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

I also had asked Cherry Red... just got their answer :unamused::

> Tim Madgwick
> jeu. 13 oct. à 11:41
>
> Hi Cedric,
>
> Thank you for your email to Cherry Red.
>
> We consider lots of project we eventually opt not to pursue. My colleagues are not convinced there sufficient sales in this release to justify a reissue but maybe it could be included within a larger project.
>
> We'll consider that as an option.
>
> With best wishes
> Tim @ Cherry Red

Hello Cedric,yes there have been individuals who work with Cherry Red and a certain magazine who had approached Cherry Red quite a while back now,as in years,concerning a John Bromley like collection that Revola did issue,and THAT was a fab release.......their was a suggestion of a similar release for Vaughan Thomas,including the Mike Batt produced album ,pre album and post album singles........buy unfortunately,was caboshed,for what reason,i was not told......but this suggestion is not new to Cherry Red,and this was from individuals who do work for Cherry Red.....but it makes you wonder,Grapefruit issued a 6 cd box set of Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts featuring Terry Dactyl and the dinosaurs.....which leaves you thinking,who was that for,what was their targeted audience with that box set?I understand Cherry Red have rights to Sonet Records,which covers this box set,but i'm sure there is much more demand for a Vaughan Thomas collection or anthology,so possibly there could be a legal issue with different publishing,different record companies,licensing hassles......ya don't really know,maybe its not worth the outlay for Cherry Red,as many of those old record companies are now owned by big multiconglomerate businesses,who see no good or big profit in letting their musical vaults be looked at,never mind being unearthed and released......so independents like Cherry Red can only get access to stuff that is available to them....and lets not forget some artists hate their early recordings as its over 50 years ago.......so i'll be surprised if its simply" we dont think theres enough interest"...i smell possible unavaliability in this issue at this time.Possibly THAT choice has not even been available to Cherry Red??

Thanks Paul and Stuart for your answers. I agree with everything that's been said.

I managed to contact Mark Frumento too, here's his message:

"The only thing I know is that Andy Morten said he found VT, spoke to him and he wasn’t interested in a reissue of his material. I never really pursued it myself. It’s a shame because it’s great stuff. VT also had a record out under the name REM or something like that and it’s not bad. The only other option would be to go through Mike Batt but my understanding is that Batt expects too much money for tracks he worked on. Sadly I think it’s a lost cause".

I won't give up but it seems it won't be easy!:thinking_face: I'll try to reach him again through the youtube people and in the meantime, I'll contact Universal Music that seems to currently have the rights for all of his material to see what's possible or not.

I'll let you know.

Cc

Yes there was a recent Mike Batt interview in Shindig Magazine,where VT was mentioned,and Mike Batt had nice words to say about Vaughan Thomas,but NO mention of his material seeing the light of day in the cd age,it's strange how some artistes have NO interest in their early recordings,particularly when it seems they've been mostly inactive musically in recent years.Of course it could be bad feelings to the company that "owns"the rights to their creations,and have NEVER received royalties owed to them,so to give a nod to a anthology of sorts may only see the company gaining any financial gain from its release,or the publishing company......so i DO understand their total hesitance for ANY early material to be reissued in the age of cds and streaming.Again THAT seems to be a common story from the 60s and 70s,and possibly all it does is cause inner grief for the artiste?

Hence this is when bootleg companies make their money,by issuing unavailable material,not been available to the public since their original releases,and AGAIN it's the artiste who gains nothing from it. Music lovers,in particular something as niche as VT ,and other 60s and early 70s pop,psych,prog,folk ,will snap up those bootlegs,even though in many cases they can be mediocre vinyl drops,with poor sound,but music enthusiasts WILL atttempt to get what they want,either by a legit way or by one of the bootleg labels who spew out cds in an industrial size,under different label names.Its ALWAYS been the predicament when talking about little known albums or artistes,whos back catalogue is unlikely to be mined by a legit label,buy the bootleg,or DON'T have the music at all.......i know which option most 60s and early 70s music enthusiasts will opt for!! So in reality it can be a no win for the artiste,no matter what!!

Or it could be simply,the artiste sees that material as irrelevant,embarassing,part of their musical past they's rather see vanish.....Tom Newman from July,used to detest the July album,i've saw interviews where he says he's mortified whenever he hears it,or anything from it,or even someone mentioning it,as its decades ago,and as we all know Tom Newman DID go on to what he may consider much better things.He seemed to have realised there are MANY who love the July album,hence he later used the July name to play live shows and the eventual release of a JULY box set,so if artistes can be persuaded to realise their youthful forays in music can be viable,be appreciated,and can make a small financial gain for them,plus recognition of their creation,their writing,and ultimately be more popular now than back then.....could possibly persuade them to give the nod to a official reissue......
look at Bill Fay,unheard of for decades,then his 2 albums are reissued,hes recording again and being given the acclaim both those albums desrve,but his newer material is too,so im sure it surprises many off those artistes who released a sole album like Vaughan Thomas to realise 50 years after its release,many people are talking and raving about their work.Many have no clue until they go on the internet!!!
Ian A Anderson is another,who was behind the folk label Village Thing,he reissued nothing from his catalogue for years,including Village Thing albums,as i think he still hold the rights to Village Thing recordings,but a box set of his early albums was reissued last year,and other bits n bobs from the Village Thing label have saw cd releases.....so the artistes attitudes can change!!

So i'll be positive,and hope that one day Vaughan Thomas may just give the nod,and the legalities etc concerning his work can be done......but i'll not hold my breathe, Unfortunately it's not untill the artiste sadly passes,that their past works become available,THAT is a sad way to have someones work and creativity to be heard generations after their original issue.