UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acid Oranges & Circles Of Green: HELP

Hi Psychsters

As you might be aware AO&COG was released 10 years ago by the Secret Psychedelic Society. It contained numerous tracks by unknown artists. Recently some light has been shed on who these might be. Thanks to the detective work of Jose & Dr. Gaz I now present an updated track list. Jose and I would like to finalize the track listing and re-offer it on the database, fully tagged. Here is what we have currently:

1 - Unknown Artist = Kate - Love's A Spider
2 - Cromwell Music - I'm Not A Rock
3 - Small Faces - Green Circles
4 - Unknown Artist - Sleepy Head
5 - Family - Mellowing Grey
6 - Carter & Alquist - Say Goodbye To Yesterday
7 - Unknown Artist - Nanci
8 - Unknown Artist = Hratch ? - Beautiful Bareback Rider
9 - Blossom Toes - I'll Be Late For Tea
10 - Unknown Artist - Muffin Man
11 - Small Faces - That Man
12 - Welcome - The Flames Are Getting Higher
13 - Silver Unicorn - Autumn Leaves
14 - Unknown Artist = Offspring - Windfall
15 - Toby Twirl - You're The Only One
16 - Unknown Artist - Player's Choice
17 - Unknown Artist = The American Breed - Don't Make Me Leave You
18 - Blossom Toes - What On Earth
19 - Angle - Jamie
20 - Unknown Artist = Offspring - Deeper Magic
21 - Mother's Milk - Listen To My Eyes
22 - Small Faces - Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow
23 - Unknown Artist = Kate - Jessica
24 - Unknown Artist - Do You Want To Buy
25 - Unknown Artist = Hratch ? - Stranger Than Truth
26 - Factory - Try A Little Sunshine
27 - Toby Twirl - Good Girls
28 - Barclay James Harvest - Senses

We hope that the collective minds of the forum will be able to figure out some or all of the remaining "Unknowns" below as it's a really good comp.

04 - Unknown Artist - Sleepy Head
07 - Unknown Artist - Nanci
10 - Unknown Artist - Muffin Man
16 - Unknown Artist - Player's Choice
24 - Unknown Artist - Do You Want To Buy?

Thanks
PPP

Re: Acid Oranges & Circles Of Green: HELP

Here is a link to the CDR https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BhgcI0r8Nyr3aMZivMMZ3ihT5F6eOHYg/view?usp=sharing

PPP

No luck yet, but what I do know is that "Do You Want To Buy" is on a comp from 1994 titled "Rainbow Skys - Psychedelic Pop Of the 60's". Alas the track list omits the artist.... guessing they didn't know either DOH!!

Interestingly the download I grabbed from SS comes as Side A & B suggesting it was an LP rather than a CDR. The cover art however looks suspiciously DIY.

PPP

What makes it more frustrating is that so many of the tracks on Rainbow Skys are easily identifiable e.g. biscuit coloured overcoat - new faces / wigwam city - procession / now the flowers cry - kiki dee etc

I'm not going to be much help,but isn't Muffin Man a song by World Of Oz,included on their album,i know its on the cd reissue,it maybe a totally different song,as i've not listened to this particular comp you're investigating. Also "Sleepy Head"maybe Keith Hopwood and friends,ex Hermans Hermit,it's a guess,but for some reason seems to click with me.Plus "Who Wants to Buy"could be a Swedish group,as in Who wants to Buy these Wonderful Evils.....?
Good luck on the investigating.

The brief liner notes mention that it is not the World Of Oz track Stuart.

a few Muffin Men here...
https://www.45cat.com/45_search.php?sq=muffin+man&sm=tr

Just a bit more info to provide

1 - Yes, Kate. A different and earlier sounding acetate version of this appeared on ebay recently.
2 - Cromwell Music is typed on acetate label, but that is most likely the publishing company.
10 - Not the World Of Oz song, nor any others mentioned.
14 - Yes, Offspring. This and track 20 'Deeper Magic' are from a 10" acetate and most likely made for them to mime to on their LWT appearance. This is available on Youtube, though only Windfall - see below. 'Windfall' is a different mix to the 45 and Deeper Magic remains unreleased, though hopefully it will be out as part of their unreleased LP sometime soon.

Tracks 7 and 16 are 2 sides of the same Gold Star acetate. An American artist, I have heard it may be Bobby Paris.

And track 17 is not The American Breed. They did a version of it, but this is very different, slower and heavier with more guitar and no brass.

Thank you Mr Secret,what a fabulous song,and great footage......i know nothing of this band,Offspring,but you mentioned a unreleased album,if that is as good as this number,i would really look forward to a eventual release of that unreleased long player,on cd and vinyl.You know anything about if that is the case,or any murmurings of the unreleased album possibly seeing the light of day?Cheers.

Hi Stuart - the band are currently in discussions with a label to release the LP, so hopefully it will be out in the near future. I am privileged to have heard the whole LP and it is wonderful.

The Gold Star acetate of little miss nanci / players choice (7 & 16) has been put up on YT so we may get some answers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmIjbLjm8y8

Hi Mister Secret.....oh thank you for that wee bit of gossip,i'm intrigued to hear it as from what i've heard,and that's not much,they sound right up my street.So i really do hope it is picked up by a label,and made available on vinyl and cd.

Be fab if you could update if anything is happening with the album Mister Secret,that would be very much appreciated.Thanking You.

The tall chap playing with the drums in Offspring looks a lot like Will Self

Secret Psychedelic Society
Just a bit more info to provide

1 - Yes, Kate. A different and earlier sounding acetate version of this appeared on ebay recently.
2 - Cromwell Music is typed on acetate label, but that is most likely the publishing company.
10 - Not the World Of Oz song, nor any others mentioned.
14 - Yes, Offspring. This and track 20 'Deeper Magic' are from a 10" acetate and most likely made for them to mime to on their LWT appearance. This is available on Youtube, though only Windfall - see below. 'Windfall' is a different mix to the 45 and Deeper Magic remains unreleased, though hopefully it will be out as part of their unreleased LP sometime soon.

Tracks 7 and 16 are 2 sides of the same Gold Star acetate. An American artist, I have heard it may be Bobby Paris.
Can't believe a little band like Offspring had been filmed, while many "bigger" ones like Spirogyra or Trees just to make an example...nothing :disappointed:

That said, their single is really good and I can't wait for the unreleased album!