UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What you folks Think of Glam rock?

Hello peeps,im going through a phase at the moment,as i've been listening to some glam comps,and revisiting albums i have on cd,and i've come to the conclusion i absolutely love what is termed glam rock.The thumping beat,the handclaps,the fuzzy guitars,the catchiness of melodies,though it filled a rather short window of time,and bands got boxed into the glam tag involunteraly,as glam can cover a vast amount of sounds,and in truth it seemed to be a predominantly a 45 thing,as not many bands made glam albums,maybe one,but quickly moved on.

Anyone else a fan of glam??

Re: What you folks Think of Glam rock?

Big time Stuart. I have a big collection of 'junkshop glam' 45s and the CD comps as well. I quite agree about the components of glam records. It was I think a largely 45 phenomenon but there are more albums than you might think as well. Glam was also big in mainland Europe, there's no end of great 45s from there, especially the Netherlands. Check Plastic Feet's 'Big Blond Baby' on Youtube, a great Slade sounding record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCPNSIdTvMs

You probably know of the Cherry Red box sets 'Can The Glam' and the upcoming 'Teenage Glampage Can The Glam 2'. which are well worth getting. The older compilations were on RPM and one Sanctuary comp 'Glitter from the Litterbin' quite a few of them about though.

PM:relaxed:

Hello - "Keeps Us Off The Streets" 1976 is a stonking good glam rock album with all the right moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bC7mStoo2E&list=PLJTAVb1bdOBgOV3LVZpht0stCFAQhDzDW

Reissued in 2007 with 8 extra tracks.

PPP

Indeed it is and the first of their four albums in their 'The Albums' box on Cherry Red.

Here are some stompers to to exercise to on youtube:

The Jets – Yeah!
Jeff Britton & The Spitfires – Rub Out
Bill Case – I’m Your Hero
Mustard – Good Time Comin’
Change – Lazy London Lady
Giggles – Just Another Saturday Night
Harpo– My Teenage Queen
Heart (Netherlands) – Lovemaker
Iron Virgin– Rebels Rule
J.C. Livingstone– Momma Was A Steamroller Lady
Norah – The Battle For My Love
Pantherman – Pantherman
Barry Rolfe - Look The Business

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello Paul,
I hope you're well mate.
Yes i do have the cherry red glam box set,and i've preordered the follow up Paul,i also have the 2 three cd clamshell box sets,You Pretty Things issued on grapefruit and All the Young Droogs on RPM.

I was lucky a while back,i picked up a fantastic Glam book with loads of european glam 45s picture sleeves,titled"Wired Up-Glam,Proto Punk and Bubblegum European Picture Sleeves 1970-76" authored by Jeremy Thompson & Mary Blount,in a charity shop,just stoating about,and popping into each charity shop i come across,i stumbled upon it,and thought man that looks interesting,never seen that before,when i opened it up,imagine my delight when it turned out to be a book chock full of glam 45 picture sleeves.....i couldn't pay for it quick enough.....lol.....a marvellous find,my one and only decent find ever from a charity shop!!!

Also a couple of weeks ago i bought Children Of The Revolution -The Glam Rock Story 1970-75 book from Dave Thompson,this is a marvellous book on UK glam releases,of singles and albums,in chronological order,absolutely fascinating stuff,as i had NO idea there was so many albums and singles released in the UK between those years.

It's certainly is a genre i'm growing more interested in,and enjoying it more, the more i hear.Many acts can be traced back to many old psych acts a few year earlier,and i find the actual sound on many glam records still (it might just be me)having a melodic late 60s pop vibe with fuzzy guitars,compression and studio sound.Also the catchiness of many songs that sink into the brain,and go round and round for days.

I agree Mark,that Hello"Keeps Us Off The Streets" album is killer stuff,i do have the cd with bonus tracks.I also have both The Rats cds,also got the Blackfoot Sue box set,Geordie box set,Dead End Kids-Breakout cd,A Raincoat-Digalongamacs cd.........anyway,you get the idea, i'm really enjoying most of it,and it makes me cheery,as it's just good fun and mainly feel good music,to me anyway.

I look forward to investigating more of this sound.........thanks Paul and Mark.

Good find on the book in the charity shop Stuart! I know the guy who co-authored it, got my copy via him when it came out. Not the sort of thing you expect to find in a charity shop, so a very good find! I agree on the sound, both on 45s and CD, the recording values in the early mid 70s had a really wide confident and loud without brick walling sound. I think 8 track recording might have come in around 1970 or so giving a wider sound pallet to work with. You notice how many of these 70s sides jump right out at you and bash your ears!

Paul

Really Paul?The chap Jeremy Thompson?Compliments to him and his co author for finding many brilliant looking picture sleeves,its an absolute beezer of a book,and i've never seen it before on any internet site,or even on Amazon,e-bay etc.So when i saw the thick book in the shop,and had a closer look,i saw the word glam......i instantly picked it up,and so glad i did,as you say,i certainly didn't expect something like this to be in a charity shop.......but why not?.....when you think about it,its published in 2012........so 10 years to find its way into a charity shop....someone elses reject is certainly my find,.

Yes, but it is not exactly a Barbara Cartland novel is it! There was not that wide a distribution of it over here, it was an American initiative I think, Jeremy Thompson being a big collector of glam 45s. So whoever donated it to the charity shop must have put a bit of effort into looking for it originally.

Paul:relaxed:

Three used copies on Amazon UK from £179!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired-Up-Bubblegum-European-1970-1976/dp/0615488765

Paul

Wow!!!!!!Really.....that is absolutely ridiculous,but it certainly hits it home what an absolute bargain i got it for.....and obviously the evaluator for Oxfam obviously had little idea of its value or its niche audience,as lets put it this way,i handed over a blue note and change for it...but as i said earlier,its the only thing i've picked up at a charity shop that was actually worth having.
As you say,it's not exactly a Jackie Collins novel,and an unlikely find in an unlikely place,but sometimes there is still little diamonds to be found among all the muck,but as years have gone by,actually finding a bargain in charity shops concerning music has become less and less as the charities get more wise to the "actual"value of things,and i certainly hear less stories of music enthusiasts picking up bargains...of little known albums that turn out to be of value in monetary terms and rarity terms.
Mind you i'm saying it's the only thing ....i did pick up the Ladies W C cd,the South American psych group from late 60s for a quid,a few years back,it was the Shadoks cd reissue,which at that time was selling for £10......i was looking for Richard Clayderman goes a go go,or Roger Whittacker whistles lets go psychedelic albums....lol......

Indeed - and if you want a new copy, there's one going on ABE Books for a mere....£428!!!

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780615488769/Wired-Glam-Proto-Punk-Bubblegum-0615488765/plp

Plus a couple of used copies again at c.£140 each. So it was a great find for a fiver, well done! It was a one-time private print run so it's not been commercially available for ten years. A volume 2 would be nice!

Paul