UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nirvana(60s)-Secrets(unreleased recordings from 69 ,70,71 0r 72?I've no idea)

Thanks for that Stuart as I was toying with the idea of getting it. Will prioritise:relaxed: other things now instead.

Paul

Re: Nirvana(60s)-Secrets(unreleased recordings from 69 ,70,71 0r 72?I've no idea)

I had a feeling others on here may have been thinking of buying this,but alas it's a rotten product all over mate,from the awful sleeve design,whch really should have told me,this IS a release that should have stayed in the can,even the most ardent Nirvana obsessive will find very little to give plaudits to this......Nirvana products certainly have a questionable history of mixing old recordings with modern overdubs or modern tweeks,i remember a Nirvana number on a 60s uk psych comp,which was precisely this,a mix of old with modern overdubs,also the 3 cd box set"Chemistry"has moments that sound like a mix of old recordings with modern tweeks and additions....and on that box set,no dates are given to any of the recordings,though the 3 cds are seperated by Orchestral,Acoustic and rock/pop concept,and the years covered are 67-99,and it was licenced from Patrick Campbell Lyons....so maybe he is adding the modern bits,and tweeks.....as many musicians can't help themselves in messing with old recordings from their younger days,and try to fix any mistakes or parts they've never been happy with.......but music collectors and enthusiasts,dislike this,even when remixes are done to original recordings,i dislike that too,as it changes what the original was!!!
It seems some musicians,the OCD takes over when hearing old recordings,and those mistakes cant be ignored.........ooffttt

I own Secrets as part of the magnificent Songlife LP box from 2021, and although I don't hate it as much as you do, I agree that it should have stayed in the vaults. Or they should at least have been upfront with when it was recorded etc. Personally I don't consider it a part of the box set, and I will probably never play it again.

Yeah, I bought the Songlife vinyl box too, and I didn’t dislike Secrets to any excessive degree. True, it’s not great, but some of the songs I enjoyed. I agree that Freedom Chaser is a bit of a mis-step, and the cover is pretty awful, but a few of the songs worked for me, and if I’m being honest, there are songs on All of Us that i find ridiculously twee and hard to enjoy. My favorite album might be to Markos III if I’m considering a complete listening experience from beginning to end.
The Local Anaesthetic album feels a bit like it was an EP stretched to an album, but it’s an interesting listen as the band is more progressive there.
My one complaint about the boxed set is they didn’t include a vinyl single with the unreleased but fantastic demo Goodbye Baby Bunting. That song is too good not to have a vinyl existence, and the boxed set would have been a great place for it. You can get it on the 2 CD Nirvana collection Rainbow Chaser The Island Years.