UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What you folks Think of Glam rock?

Really Paul?The chap Jeremy Thompson?Compliments to him and his co author for finding many brilliant looking picture sleeves,its an absolute beezer of a book,and i've never seen it before on any internet site,or even on Amazon,e-bay etc.So when i saw the thick book in the shop,and had a closer look,i saw the word glam......i instantly picked it up,and so glad i did,as you say,i certainly didn't expect something like this to be in a charity shop.......but why not?.....when you think about it,its published in 2012........so 10 years to find its way into a charity shop....someone elses reject is certainly my find,.

Yes, but it is not exactly a Barbara Cartland novel is it! There was not that wide a distribution of it over here, it was an American initiative I think, Jeremy Thompson being a big collector of glam 45s. So whoever donated it to the charity shop must have put a bit of effort into looking for it originally.

Paul:relaxed:

Three used copies on Amazon UK from £179!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired-Up-Bubblegum-European-1970-1976/dp/0615488765

Paul

Wow!!!!!!Really.....that is absolutely ridiculous,but it certainly hits it home what an absolute bargain i got it for.....and obviously the evaluator for Oxfam obviously had little idea of its value or its niche audience,as lets put it this way,i handed over a blue note and change for it...but as i said earlier,its the only thing i've picked up at a charity shop that was actually worth having.
As you say,it's not exactly a Jackie Collins novel,and an unlikely find in an unlikely place,but sometimes there is still little diamonds to be found among all the muck,but as years have gone by,actually finding a bargain in charity shops concerning music has become less and less as the charities get more wise to the "actual"value of things,and i certainly hear less stories of music enthusiasts picking up bargains...of little known albums that turn out to be of value in monetary terms and rarity terms.
Mind you i'm saying it's the only thing ....i did pick up the Ladies W C cd,the South American psych group from late 60s for a quid,a few years back,it was the Shadoks cd reissue,which at that time was selling for £10......i was looking for Richard Clayderman goes a go go,or Roger Whittacker whistles lets go psychedelic albums....lol......

Indeed - and if you want a new copy, there's one going on ABE Books for a mere....£428!!!

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780615488769/Wired-Glam-Proto-Punk-Bubblegum-0615488765/plp

Plus a couple of used copies again at c.£140 each. So it was a great find for a fiver, well done! It was a one-time private print run so it's not been commercially available for ten years. A volume 2 would be nice!

Paul