UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nirvana(60s)-Secrets(unreleased recordings from 69 ,70,71 0r 72?I've no idea)

I own Secrets as part of the magnificent Songlife LP box from 2021, and although I don't hate it as much as you do, I agree that it should have stayed in the vaults. Or they should at least have been upfront with when it was recorded etc. Personally I don't consider it a part of the box set, and I will probably never play it again.

Re: Nirvana(60s)-Secrets(unreleased recordings from 69 ,70,71 0r 72?I've no idea)

Yeah, I bought the Songlife vinyl box too, and I didn’t dislike Secrets to any excessive degree. True, it’s not great, but some of the songs I enjoyed. I agree that Freedom Chaser is a bit of a mis-step, and the cover is pretty awful, but a few of the songs worked for me, and if I’m being honest, there are songs on All of Us that i find ridiculously twee and hard to enjoy. My favorite album might be to Markos III if I’m considering a complete listening experience from beginning to end.
The Local Anaesthetic album feels a bit like it was an EP stretched to an album, but it’s an interesting listen as the band is more progressive there.
My one complaint about the boxed set is they didn’t include a vinyl single with the unreleased but fantastic demo Goodbye Baby Bunting. That song is too good not to have a vinyl existence, and the boxed set would have been a great place for it. You can get it on the 2 CD Nirvana collection Rainbow Chaser The Island Years.