UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Graham Gouldman Thing(68) & Tony Hazzard Sings Tony Hazzard(69).....2 of the same kind??

Secret Psychedelic Society
Two great pop LPs with period flavours. Another couple I would file next to them are the John Bromley LP and the US only Mike Hurst LP called Home.
Two great composers without a doubt.
Graham Gouldman has always been one of my three favorite British composers, along with John Pantry and Daniel Beckerman.
I like his Lp a lot, but I think his compositions shine more for other artists.
When asked what my favorite song from the sixties is, my answer is quick: "Impossible Years", sung by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.
"Pamela, Pamela" is possibly my second favorite song. I've always liked teenage songs and the lyrics take me back to years full of innocence... that won't come back.
I also agree with "Secret Psychedelic" that the "John Bromley" album is in the same category.
Regards
José

Re: The Graham Gouldman Thing(68) & Tony Hazzard Sings Tony Hazzard(69).....2 of the same kind??

About Tony Hazzard, it does seem to have a parallel with Gouldman, many good songs that led other artists to success, but I like that transition from more pop sounds to these baroque songs that I like so much. For me his best song is "The princess and the soldier" that his friend Richard Barners interpreted wonderfully.
On Bandcamp is the Demonstration album with two tracks not included on their 1969 Lp

That Mike Hurst 1970 album"Home"album is a baroque pop delight,or certainly a chamber pop influenced beauty ......its a rather little known,or even unknown album to many who are late 60s/early 70s uk pop lovers,i bought a cd with another of his albums"In My Time"from 1971 on it issued by Angel Air,the musicians on "Home"are impressive,with Rod Argent,Big Jim Sullivan,Herbie Flowers,Jon Lord,Tubby Hayes,John Paul Jones and marvellous strings and things arrange by Phil Dennys...,mostly self written songs by Mike Hurst,with only 1 cover,the Buffalo Springfield"Hung Upside Down"which was writtemn by Stephen Stills!!

A worthy mention Mr Secret,and an album that MUST be heard by many on here.If not already done so.

I think the Tony Hazzard Sings album is one of the best underappreciated 60’s pop albums. It plays like a Greatest Hits. The Graham Gouldman album is fine as well. “Fade Away Maureen” on the Tony Hazzard album is so great. It beats the Cherry Smash version imho.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've listened to both albums and thoroughly enjoyed them. And I agree the Tony Hazzard is a near masterpiece.