General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Remembering 'It's Psych'

nice to see you are still about Wallace olde chum

And nice to see you're still about Phil.

I never knew the forum but have just found this on a long gone music blog.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Anybody know what happened to "Its psych forum"?
Looking for It's Psych Forum.
If you know where it is

Jon said...

We're now a mailing list. Send an email to itspsych@gmail.com to join. Tell 'em Jon sent you!
January 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

13 years no wonder I'm hazy!

It's Psych had to relocate to 4 or 5 different forum host sites before it kinda fizzled out. But it was a vibrant music social media club for a while. We had a virtual drink lounge and everything. Lots of quirky music aficionados, acid heads, musicians, and occasional trolls. It became fairly well organized by genres and other topics. Time does fly. I think it had a motto like "gathering of the lost tribes" or something. Sound familiar?

phuzz

Ringing more bells now, was there a DIY comp called 'Gathering of the lost tribes' or maybe one of the rooms was called that? and was Jon the main administrator? - he has an abundance of musical knowledge and is held in high regard. Might be worth trawling through the email archives as I do recall going down that route.

Found some archived emails where I discussed migration with Jon Chapple back in 2010, there are also communications with estimable members such as Sir Psych & Remarkable Willy (who also ran the nederbeat forum Golden Beat Years, defunct?). A popular subject at the time was trying to get hold of u-spaces comps. lol.

Jon was the administrator. I think I'm still connected to him on Facebook along with a few others. I think Willy has passed on a while back unfortunately. It got hard to maintain the forum due to trolls and attacks from outside. Remember Hans devente? Interesting bizarre internet lore surrounding that fella and It's Psych members and the boarder music community online. Though it seemed at least partly manufactured drama from a really bored person.

I might have mixed up memories in regards to Gathering of the tribe phrase. You probably right about it actually coming from U Spaces. I ordered a custom cdr from them 2006ish. Random picked songs off their master list.
Old Melodies blog recently posted some U space comps. They had the Salvador Dali style artwork.
The last decade or so I've been listening to more punk, post punk, experimental, soft rock. Or a little bit of everything for short.

Thanks for jogging a few more memories Phuzz, am I right to recall there were rooms for different subjects ie US psych & pop / UK psych & pop / Euro psych & pop / Rest of the World psych & pop etc?
What I do remember is the emphasis on the introduction and posting of unknown and obscure tracks - this is one I remember contributing, from '66, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXmL9cjAGbc

Dr Gaz, Great song there.
It was pretty well organized by genres. The ones you mentioned plus progressive, folk, revival/neopsych perhaps? And a few others.
I used to make compilations composed of random sources like WFMU rips and share them there via rapidshare.
Sir Psych did the same only much better quality.
The forums had a little more atmosphere because folks would post psychedelic gifs, pics here and there.
Maybe someday there will be a reunion:)

Firstly, howdy all. Haven't been here on Regal Zonephone in eons, assuming i ever posted here at all. Thanks to a web search for the tracklist of Pop Cycles Series Sampler, I landed here and started poking thru recent posts.

Its Psych was a wonderful forum. Everyone so engaged and kind. No snarky posts (as long as Hans Devente's various aliases were blocked). I was originally invited to it by Paul Ellis via Soulseek, where we were both in a SS group. After several forum changes over the years I volunteered to create, migrate forum history & operate the last couple. Unfortunately after the final forum died in 2011 (the cloud provider closed pretty much with no notice), I moved Its Pysch to Google Groups, and posting activity slowly petered out over time by Jan 2016. It remains alive but other than an 'is this thing still alive" post in 2017, no activity.

Besides Paul, I fondly remember Johhny Rainbow's Sunshine & Rainbows compilation series, the EvenJo comps (I Will Play My Lute If You Will Play Your Flute, & Random Selection of Pop Gems among others), definitely Sir Psych's Presents series (which I think he still does via his website), Elliot Wilder posting not just obscure finds but his own music also, and other folks like lasjo, jon mitchell, Popcat, Jenerator, MEZ, furryoldgrover, Psy Guy, etc.

Great times and so fortunate to have participated.

Hi Michael hope you're doing fine, yes I remember trying to keep up with Elliot's output (sometimes 3 albums in the same month?) but didn't want to miss anything because of his consistent high quality songwriting. What was the motivation behind that malicious troll, was it a personal grudge? he just wouldn't let go.

If by malicious troll you mean Hans Devente, well he was (& may still be) quite well know all over the rock/psych/60s-70s forums/blogs world. He was evidently initially infamous for creating blogs sharing rare/obscure stuff, then killing them as soon as they started getting DL attention. Lately it seems he's now known for reporting on other bloggers, etc and getting their blogs killed. One search result sums him up correctly I think: "web-psychopath". Sad but true.