UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FOLLOW THE BUFFALO-Unreleased Shel Talmy produced album (1971)

Thanks to Gian for bringing attention to this!!And for Shel Talmy for making it available!

Fortunately the full album IS available of youtube.In great sound.

The history of this band is all over the late 60s UK music scene,including Anan,Les Fleur Dy Lys,Hopscotch and Five Day Rain.
They where a quartet:

Philip Reed
Peter Humphreys
Graham Maitland
Andy Gee

They where originally called The Ratfields,and on Shel Talmys Facebook page,he has a wee bit of humour concerning that name.Most of what info is provided there,i've shared in this post.
Unfortunately this unreleased album is NOT availaable on a physical product release,ONLY online.So NO cd or vinyl.I hope this IS rectified once more hear it.

It was recorded in December 1970,at Morgan Studios,and they where managed by Dave Howson,if i'm not corrrect,wasn't it he who was behind the Middle Earth club and record label,who issued Writing On The Wall"Power Of The Picts",Arcadium"Breathe Awhile" and Tam Whites self titled albums?Please correct me if i'm wrong!!

It's a fine 12 track album.As with most of Shel Talmys works,is a well produced effort,and the band where signed by Warners Brothers by Iam Samwell Smith.

This is the tracklist:
1.Atlantic Bounce
2.Airport(issued as 45 May 71)
3.Country Soul Band
4.Home Cooking
5.High Horse
6.Shagbag
7.September Song(issued as 45 May 71)
8.In Silence We Hold
9.Ludicrous Lena
10.Pull Your Hat Down
11.Long Gone Stayed At Home
12.Phoba's Wedding

Apart from the 2 songs issued as a one off single,all other numbers are unheard.They DO deserve to heard by many more late 60s/early 70s music enthusiasts,as its a very strong album with beautiful harmonies throughout,fabulous songwriting,marvellous playing and an overall upbeat vibe.

I could give a description of each song,but i don't want to spoil anyones first listening experience of it.
I will say as it was recorded in late 1970,the American influences of the likes of The Band,Poco,CSN&Y and the more acoustic side of say a band like Moby Grape, certainly rings in my ears.
UK bands like Bronco,Cochise,Help Yourself,Gypsy,Mason and others of course,i'd say could possibly fit in with this,but to my ears NOT as country infused as some of those,shel Talmy mentions country on his FB page,but i only hear a tiny tiny country influence,as this IS British,no doubt about it in sound,but i DO hear early Humble Pie also,as the instrumentation has some fabulous hammond organ,some wah wah guitar in some songs,a mix of acoustic strumming and electric leads,not too intrusive piano,and a hushed and a little dampened drumming, but the vocals and the harmonising certainly come from the US West Coast,they ARE absolutely marvellous.

LUDICROUS LENA-A COULD HAVE BEEN SINGLE?

A song like"Ludicrous Lena"has a definite British charm,and really could have been a single in my opinion,as it has a catchiness to it,and a repetetive line that will eat into your brain,with its rattytat drumstick parts,but as a whole it IS a fabulous maelstrom of swirling hammond organ,fabulous electric guitar leads,neat bass lines,heavier drumming,acoustic guitar strumming and magnificent catchy harmonious boys together chorus,that The Faces would have been proud of.I absolutely love THIS song!!!!

So find this album on youtube,and give it a few listens,there IS much to reward the listener!!

ANOTHER lost artefact in the tapestry of late 60s/early 70s music,and with quality like this,its an utter shame.

Re: FOLLOW THE BUFFALO-Unreleased Shel Talmy produced album (1971)

Yes, let's hope to see a vinyl/CD physical release one day

A few more info:

the May '71 single A side was not "Airport" but "Long Gone...", but actually it became a single in January 1973 for the next Graham Maitland band, Glencoe, where he found place for other two songs written with Philip Reed (maybe was he also with Glencoe at the beginning?), Look Me In The Eye and Lifeline.

FTB Airport and High Horse were not completely unheard, as they appeared on this Chrysalis promo
compilation https://www.discogs.com/release/4496011-Various-The-Chrysalis-Compendium-The-Sound-Of-Hush. By the way there are a few unheard Brian Chatton/John McBurnie (post-Justine, pre-Jackson Heights) songs there, it looks there are two albums' worth of unreleased material still in the vaults!