UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr. Strange keeps appearing…

I saw this blog about Pink Floyd, and how Dr. Strange shows up on the cover of Saucerful of Secrets (scroll down a bit to see where the mystical entity is hidden!)
https://www.thepopverse.com/marvel-pink-floyd-references-comics-music-song-movies-tv-film

It made me wonder how many times Dr. Strange appears in songs.

I have this so far:
Pink Floyd- Cymbaline
T. Rex- Mambo Sun
Peter Hammill- Time for a Change
Country Joe and the Fish- Superbird

I imagine there are others, but that’s all I could come up with…

Re: Dr. Strange keeps appearing…

By the Crimson Rings of Cytorrak and The Ragged Rings of Raggador !

Similarly for 10 years I've been compiling appearances in rock lyrics by-

Pansy Potter The Strongman's Daughter

the list so far -

I’m assuming there has to be a band called The Crystal Bands of Cytorrak…πŸ˜€
Or maybe just Cytorrak?

Oops..Crimson Bands of Cytorrak. I hate typing in my phoneπŸ˜‚

I read the original ditko/lee doc strange comics religiously in UK weekly reprints and the orig usa comics whenever I could find them when I was 6 or 7 yrs up, from memory those phrases were 2 spells he used, possibly I've mangled them a bit.

Stan Lee was a master of alliteration.

The later issues drawn by Frank Brunner were beautiful, I had a thing for Stranges girlfriend Clea.

They would make fab band names.

There is of course the band Dr Strangely Strange.

And technically the words are used in Damnation Alley by Hawkwind but as part of "Doctor Strangelove" as per Kubrick.

All the orig Lee/ditko issues are available in 2 "omnibus" edition hardbacks for about £45 apiece on Amazon, there's also an enormous book collecting the earliest issues, I mean a huge nearly 3ft high book, it's called "Ditko Is Strange" it's out of print but prob on Amazon for £80+.

Maybe there's a Doc Strange track on The Marvel World of Icarus lp ? Or was he left out

Thanks for that info! I have a feeling a Dr. Strange compendium is in my futureπŸ˜€πŸ‘

On your recommendation I tracked down that huge Ditko is Strange book! It humungous!!!!😜
But fun to read and to stand up next to my records.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜›

I'm glad you found it, Marvel discontinued those large " monster size" books and I doubt they'll ever be reprinted due to the costs, they are now hard to find and they'll keep increasing in value. I have 5 of them but unfortunately not the Doc Strange. I paid for one but it never arrived!

They are totally impractical and near impossible to read, but sensational. It would be interesting to read one on a train or the Underground to see people's reactions.

Doc Strange comics were published in this order -

Strange Tales - 110, 111, 114 - 168

Doctor Strange - 169 - 183 (continued numbering from Strange Tales)

Marvel Premiere - 3 - 14

Doctor Strange - 1 - 81 this began in 1974.

And various other series after that to present day.

Starting in the Marvel Premiere issues Steve Englehart writer and Frank Brunner artist took on the title, continuing into the first few issues of the 74 series. These are stunning seventies prime Marvel, great writing and Brunner is a brilliant artist, he used themes from Alice in Wonderland and had Strange conversing with the Marijuana Smoking Caterpillar. I don't think these issues have been collected into a hardcover yet. But may may up a Doc Strange Vol 3 Omnibus edition. They are well worth checking out.

Here's a classic image of Strange by Brunner, with Clea (sigh) in the foreground -

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/364369426074848760/

Ha! Now I want to take my Dr Strange book on a subway! That would be hilarious!
Thanks for that info, I have a feeling i’ll end up hunting down the Omnibus series as well.
I have four of the Third Eye Black light posters from the 70’s. Medusa, Hulk being grabbed by the giant hand, Hela being revived (So Shall it Be!) and Dr. Strange and Infinity:
https://co.pinterest.com/pin/168885054756402621/
It’s the later Dr. Strange with the mask, but it’s still a cool image.
i like the Frank Brunner image you linked to. Very trippy!

Hello There Joe,
Remember the album "The Marvel World Of Icarus"from 1972,by UK act Icarus,it has the Hulk,Captain America and all the other Marvel Comics characters on its artwork,and looking at the titles of songs,Spiderman,Hulk,Iron Man,Thor,Black Panther,Silver Surfer,Captain America and such......so its a little curio for Marvel related items,and a BIG plus,its a good bloody album,a bit strange,but to my ears its certainly in that psych/prog crossover vibe.I enjoy it anyway!!

Hi Stu,

I can’t remember where I’ve seen the cover of that album. but i know i have. Maybe in Tapestry of Delights or a book like that. I’ll have to check that out because I’ve never heard it! Good reminder…πŸ˜€πŸ‘
Thanks!