UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: psych bands (albums,specific tracks) referencing a novel/short story

Agreed it's a true classic, and the Piper chapter is unexpected and astonishing, like many at that time he was influenced by the Celtic Twilight and possibly the Order of the Golden Dawn.

His two books Dream Days and The Golden Age are also exceptional, although they are composed of short stories.

The comment about pre 1920 books being mostly Christian is a generalisation but fairly accurate, and just reflects prevailing beliefs in the 19th century. So the Christianity was intrinsic, which is very different to deliberate contrived attempts at conversion through insidious texts such as those of Tolkien and Lewis.

Piper didn't get mentioned because it's too obvious, as with White Rabbit by the Great Society/Jefferson Airplane.

This thread drew a large amount of views but it seems only 3 people contributed. We must assume other members have never read beyond Mojo or Record Collector, an unkind person might suggest they are thickos or illiterate. Other than Wallace and May Twitz,only the chap from Ithaca, Mr Howell, added some Hobbit related titles.

We have certainly only scratched the surface of this topic. Although it was an exercise in futility and had no real reason to be.

I leave it with the idea that A Book Of Record Covers That Look Like Books could make a ridiculous Taschen publication.

That Kirwan lp is pretty bad. I always liked the Future Games LP with the Kirwan tracks like Dragonfly when I was a child, the solo lp a serious disappointment.

Two songs by the late great Bob Hughes -

'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' (Richard Bach)
'Kerouac' (as in Jack)

Roy Harper meets Al Stewart -

Bob Hughes Jonathan Seagull. 74 views in 6 years. Give it a quick listen in memory of a great eccentric who wrote songs privately for 50 years

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11WajdOEdvI&pp=ygUSQm9iIGh1Z2hlcyBzZWFndWxs

An "unkind"person as you put it who thinks reading magazines and NOT the books you and Wallace(like authors using aliases) have read and spoke about here,would not only be unkind,but deemed judgemental,as faux intellectual with a degree of snobbery,possibly an inkling of elitism,as it IS ironically on a music forum dedicated to a niche in mainly 60s and 70s music and touches on that times youth culture,that the discussion has took place,basically the type of stuff in those mentioned magazines,that an unkind person could insult the intelligence of those who read and enjoy those said magazines.

Could it not be the case,that few have interacted with your discussion on those books as it may be subject matter uninteresting to those who come to a psych music forum?Who have little or no interest in either view from both yourself and Wallace on the books and political history you both have touched upon?Why not have that intellectual discussion on a group that IS knowledgable about those subjects,then attempt to be an "unkind"person by looking down on those who ONLY read Record Collector and the like,because i'm sure on those type of discussion groups,that "unkind" person will be quickly brought to heel on their superior intellect,by others with far more knowledge on said books,but that provides NO evidence that those who have more knowledge on said books are any more intellectual than the others,maybe on THAT subject,but that subject alone,as on other subject matter,they may be utterly unknowlegable,but that does NOT make them dumb now does it?

You get my drift?
Its great having those discussions on here,i personally wholeheartedly welcome them,and i have followed the whole discussion that has been had,in particular the music behind the so called iron curtain,under communist rule from USSR,and the comments made on the bands who did release albums under the puppet regime in old Czechoslovakia,as my brother has lived in the town of Brno,in the now Czech Republic for many years,with his Czech born wife and family,so that was of much interest to myself,as i have cd reissues of quite a few "state sanctioned"albums i think you remarked,of fake groups from this time who you state were disliked and deemed as rubbish,by most people.THAT was a fabulous discussion to follow,how much of what you said is true,i don't know,but it made interesting reading none the less.

What i DON'T like is when it veers onto faux intellectual snobbery with "unkind"people denigrating others for ONLY reading magazines and such,THAT i abhore,we are ALL individuals,with our OWN main interests,and good luck to everyone in their enjoyment in those interests,as someones garbage,is anothers passion...so ANY denigration that would be proper and right,would be self criticism and denigration,as for the "unkind"person to even think they're somewhow more intellectual because of a subject they have knowledge about,and possibly a passion for,and to use that to look down on others,with NO interest in that subject,is indeed a unkind,fake intellectual with high opinions of themself,and probably ARE total bores to be with......but only if that "unkind"person intentionally denigrates people,as unbeleivably there are those who are so up their own arse,common sense and decency has been lost.

top thread guys

Donovan - Lord of The Reedy River.

It's based upon Leda & the Swan ...... But delving deeper

There's a Cicely Mary Barker illustrated Children's book circa 1940 entitled -

'Lord of the Rushie River'

About a child and Swans... I can imagine Donovan reading this, fits with the Gift and HMS aesthetic.

Barker is best known for her Flower Fairies books. Could it be that Donovan substituted Rushie for Reedy to avoid being sued by Flower Fairies?

Thanks One Shed Phil. I once lived in a shed for a year. Then again for a few months. Different shed. Shed Dwellers Survival Forum anyone?

It begs the question of whether you are content with one shed, hanker after more, or if it's an obscure martial art.

There are surely a lot more, especially American

Poe Through The Glass Prism. Long time since I heard this, but either Poe's poems set to psych pop music, or very heavily influence.

Wind In The Willows - Debbie Harry's first hippy pop band from 1968, I think there is a track with narration from the book, but I could be wrong.

Mr Flood's Party. Brilliant US psych LP, named after the book of poetry by Edwin Arlington Robinson, though not sure if further connections in the songs.

David Axelrod - Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience - 2 LPs 'inspired by' William Blake's poetry volumes, likewise The Priests Of The Raven Of Dawn by The Open Window.