Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: psych bands (albums,specific tracks) referencing a novel/short story

Donovan - Lord of The Reedy River.

It's based upon Leda & the Swan ...... But delving deeper

There's a Cicely Mary Barker illustrated Children's book circa 1940 entitled -

'Lord of the Rushie River'

About a child and Swans... I can imagine Donovan reading this, fits with the Gift and HMS aesthetic.

Barker is best known for her Flower Fairies books. Could it be that Donovan substituted Rushie for Reedy to avoid being sued by Flower Fairies?

Thanks One Shed Phil. I once lived in a shed for a year. Then again for a few months. Different shed. Shed Dwellers Survival Forum anyone?

It begs the question of whether you are content with one shed, hanker after more, or if it's an obscure martial art.

Re: psych bands (albums,specific tracks) referencing a novel/short story

There are surely a lot more, especially American

Poe Through The Glass Prism. Long time since I heard this, but either Poe's poems set to psych pop music, or very heavily influence.

Wind In The Willows - Debbie Harry's first hippy pop band from 1968, I think there is a track with narration from the book, but I could be wrong.

Mr Flood's Party. Brilliant US psych LP, named after the book of poetry by Edwin Arlington Robinson, though not sure if further connections in the songs.

David Axelrod - Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience - 2 LPs 'inspired by' William Blake's poetry volumes, likewise The Priests Of The Raven Of Dawn by The Open Window.