UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PETE DELLO AND FRIENDS Into Your Ears (Special 2CD Edition)

~~ New release coming out now! ~~

DISTRIBUTED BY LIGHT IN THE ATTIC (USA & CANADA), CODE 7 (UK), GUERSSEN (EUROPE-ROTW)

PETE DELLO AND FRIENDS
Into Your Ears (Special 2CD Edition)
(HPR-063CD)
Format: 2CD
Release date: December 2023
Order here (all orders will ship next week!)

- Special double CD edition. The first disc features the original 1971 Nepentha mix available for the first time on CD, and the second disc contains Hanky Panky’s 2005 edition that includes 10 bonus tracks (rare singles, demos & originally unreleased recordings).
- Notes by Andy Morten (Shindig! magazine) & Thomas Walsh (Pugwash).

The first and only solo outing from Honeybus founder member Pete Dello is a highly regarded album by not only Honeybus fans and '60's-'70's collectors, but by anyone who has been lucky enough to fall into its magic spell. Though reissued several times, this is the first ever reissue to feature the original album’s mix,on CD and as Thomas Walsh states in the liner notes, "it’s a different musical animal altogether. Some of the songs feature alternate vocals, different instrumentation, different lead and harmony vocal melody lines, extra brass, no brass...all in all a revelation."

This special double CD edition contains a second disc with Hanky Panky’s 2005 edition, that features the “reissues mix” of the album and 10 bonus tracks (rare singles sides and three originally unreleased recordings). The 20-page booklet includes two sets of liner notes: one based on a new interview with Pete Dello by Ivor Novello nominated songwriter Thomas Walsh (Pugwash) and another set by Andy Morten (Shindig!).

“A beautifully refreshing little album, if you like soft songs composed with a sense of humour, feeling for romance and old-fashioned charm… The tunes are almost all painfully simple; that’s their beauty. An outstanding album that’s been too long in coming” – Ray Coleman - Melody Maker, 1971

“It’s a well-produced, arranged and thought-out album, and just about the direction everyone imagined McCartney would have gone as a solo artist” - Disc & Music Echo, 1971

Tracklisting:

Disc One - The original 1971 Nepentha mix
1.- It's What You've Got 2.- There's Nothing That I Can Do For You 3.- I'm A Gambler 4.- Harry The Earwig 5.- Do I Still Figure In Your Life 6.- Uptight Basil 7.- Taking The Heart Out Of Love 8.- On A Time Said Sylvie 9.- A Good Song 10.- It's The Way 11.- Go Away 12.- Arise Sir Henry

Disc Two - The reissues mix
1.- It's What You've Got 2.- There's Nothing That I Can Do For You 3.- I'm A Gambler 4.- Harry The Earwig 5.- Do I Still Figure In Your Life 6.- Uptight Basil 7.- Taking The Heart Out Of Love 8.- On A Time Said Sylvie 9.- A Good Song 10.- It's The Way 11.- Go Away 12.- Arise Sir Henry
Bonus tracks:
13.- Uptight Basil (released as Magic Valley – B-side Penny Farthing PEN 701, 1969) 14.- Taking The Heart Out Of Love (released as Magic Valley – A-side Penny Farthing PEN 701, 1969) 15.- I'm A Gambler (released as Magenta – A-side Arista 5, 1975) 16.- Go Away (released as Lace – B-side Page One, POF 135, 1969) 17.- Working Class Man (released as Red Herring – B-side GM GMF 007, 1973) 18.- Tattered Robe (released as Magenta – B-side Arista 5, 1975) 19.- I’m A Gambler (released as Lace – A-side Page One, POF 135, 1969) 20.- Delighted To See You (originally unreleased. Original demo version) 21.- Hold Up, Fold Up (originally unreleased) 22.- Texas Candy (originally unreleased)

Re: PETE DELLO AND FRIENDS Into Your Ears (Special 2CD Edition)

Thanks for this Mark, I've never managed to get a CD copy of this, just a stream, so will be very glad to get this. Hanky Panky are a Spanish label I think, No doubt it will materialise with eTailers in the UK by next Spring. I am very intrigued by the bonus singles on disc 2 as well.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

I've got the Repertoire CD reissue of this fine album,but this 2 cd set Looks a must have!!

Funnily enough Paul its the Colin Hare album on cd I've never been able to track down.... when I do find it it's well above the price I can afford!!

I also wish someone would issue the Honeybus "Recital"album on cd, I do have some tracks from this album on on a double Honeybus cd competition from quite a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to have been fully available on cd!!

The demos with Honeybus and Bill Fay are excellent, I'd love to hear more if there was more recorded.....

Although this arrived on the 19th of December, I'm just listening to it now (started with the original 1971 Nepantha mix), and it is so much warmer than what we're used to. Seriously, Thomas Walsh sums it up so much better than I ever could in the liners notes:
"It’s a different musical animal altogether. Some of the songs feature alternate vocals, different instrumentation, different lead and harmony vocal melody lines, extra brass, no brass...all in all a revelation."

I'm listening to the second disc now, Hanky Panky’s 2005 edition - although I haven't got to the bonus tracks yet - and it is great and the way I'm accustomed to hearing it, but it sounds like an mp3 version compared to the Nepantha mix. In my opinion, it's worth purchasing just for the original mix alone.

The packaging is quite nice, three panel gatefold with the 16 page booklet in the centre. Lyrics are printed on the three inside panels of the gatefold, with the essays, photos and memorabilia in the booklet. All in all, a lovely addition to everyone who visits this site.

Thanks Mark, due on 12th Jan with Amazon UK and about the same time with Juno here, so will pick it up form one or the other (same price). Glad to hear it's a tri-panel card sleeve and not a jewel case. Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I have heard the 2005 version in a number of years so will be quite an interesting comparative listen. Do the liners say what the source is for the Nepantha mix?

PM
:relaxed:

Paul Martin
Thanks Mark, due on 12th Jan with Amazon UK and about the same time with Juno here, so will pick it up form one or the other (same price). Glad to hear it's a tri-panel card sleeve and not a jewel case. Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I have heard the 2005 version in a number of years so will be quite an interesting comparative listen. Do the liners say what the source is for the Nepantha mix?

PM
:relaxed:
Hi Paul,

It doesn't really state in the liners if the Nepantha mix is from the master:
"Original album released in 1972 as Nepantha 6437001...
DISC 1 mastered by Javier Roldón at Vacuum Mastering, May 2022"
Further on it says:
"Due to absence of original master tapes some tracks have been mastered from the best vinyl sources available, and have been included here for their historical significance."
But I think here they're referring to some of the bonus tracks.

I have heard no surface noise whatsoever on the Nepantha mix, so it may be from the master... but that is just my personal opinion, I could be wrong.