UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Five By the Kirkbys EP - Incredible Unreleased 1966 Recordings!

https://www.topsoundsrecords.co.uk/home.html

Re: Five By the Kirkbys EP - Incredible Unreleased 1966 Recordings!

Very cool release!

Not seeing this release on the web site. Something happen to it?

I didn’t see it on their website either, but I was able to track it down on discogs. Also there’s an earlier Kirkbys EP with several songs there, which I had been unaware of until I saw it there. So now I have two Kirkbys EPs, and there is a 23rd Turnoff LP I highly recommend under the 23rd Turnoff listing in Discogs. Taken together that means most of the material from the 23rd Turnoff CD that came out a while ago on RPM/ Bam Caruso is now available on vinyl for those of you like me who enjoy the sound of the needle hitting the wax!

The vinyl EP is a must alone for the 1966 version of "Keep Me Warm Til The Sun Shines," which is much different (think Paperback Writer riffing) than the Swinging Blue Jeans' more poppy cover version. Should have been a single.

Has anybody gotten a hold of this yet? Any comments on the music and the audio quality?

I got my copy (of both Kirkbys EP’s actually) and they both sound great. I really like the version of Michael Angelo with a different lead singer. I think one or two songs have a bit of an “acetate” sound, but overall good 60’s freakbeat stuff.

Well OK I'm biased as I put it out but the sound quality is superb, the acetates were not in that bad shape to start with so yes all the tracks sound great and musically - wonderful stuff! 'I'll Be Round' you may have heard before on the 23rd Turnoff CD and LP in fairly poor sound (probably dubbed from a cassette), this one is direct from a nice condition acetate. I'm getting some rave feedback from buyers. Incidentally the Top Sounds website is now updated where you can hear a soundclip.