Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bible Study Preview for Luke Chapter 8

PREVIEW LUKE CHAPTER 8

Luke 8 - The Importance and Power of Jesus' Word

A. The parable of the soils

1. (1-3) Women who ministered to Jesus
a. Bringing the glad tidings is "preaching the good news"; Jesus' message was good news, not bad news, to people
b. Why does Luke specifically mention the women who followed and served Jesus? Because in that day, Rabbis generally refused to teach women and almost always gave them an inferior place, but not Jesus

i. Isn't it interesting that all of Jesus' enemies were men?
ii. On Mary Magdalene: "The Christian imagination has made free with Mary Magdalene, mostly seeing her as a beautiful woman whom Jesus had saved from an immoral life. There is nothing whatever in the sources to indicate this." (Morris)

c. We see the real humble nature of Jesus, who was willing to make Himself dependent upon others. He didn't have to; He could have just created all the money He would ever need. But was godly enough to receive from others.
i. Many of us are too proud to receive help from others. But sometimes the ability to humbly receive is a better measure of Jesus in our lives than the ability to give. Giving often puts us in a higher place, but receiving often in a lower place
2. (4-8) The parable of the soils
a. The word parable comes from the idea of "to set along side"; it is to set a spiritual truth along side a daily truth of living
b. In this parable, Jesus describes something they would all be familiar with: a farmer casting seed on the ground, and the seed falling on different types of soil

i. Why wouldn't the farmer only cast seed on good soil? Some would fall on a pathway by accident (some fell by the wayside), but most of the seed was sown on ground that would be plowed after the seed was cast - so you didn't know where rocks were or where thorns might grow
c. There were three areas where the seed fell without lasting success: on the pathway, on the rocky ground, and on the thorny ground. But some of the seed did fall on good ground
d. Though this is commonly called the parable of the sower, neither the sower or the seed changes, but the difference lies in the soils

3. (9-10) The purpose of parables
a. Parables are more like puzzles or riddles than illustrations; they can be understood by those who have right "key." The disciples, who wanted the things of God, were given to know the mysteries of the kingdom - they could be spoken to plainly. But often, others were taught with parables
i. In the Bible, a mystery isn't something you can't figure out. It is something that you would never know unless God revealed it to you. In the Biblical sense of the idea, you may know exactly what a mystery is, yet it is still a mystery, because you would not have known unless God revealed it
b. Jesus offered His hearers the opportunity to dig deep and find the truth, or to turn a blind eye to an interesting story. This would avoid a greater condemnation for having rejected a clearly understood truth
i. "So, that their guilt may not accumulate, the Lord no longer addresses them directly in explicit teachings during the period immediately preceding His crucifixion, but in parables." (Geldenhuys)
c. In light of this, how blessed are those who do understand the parables of Jesus; not only do they gain the benefit of the spiritual truth illustrated, they also display some measure of responsiveness to the Holy Spirit
4. (11-15) Jesus explains the parable
a. The seed is the word of God; 1 Peter 1:23 says that we have been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever
i. The natural tendency is for the audience to critique the preacher. But here, Jesus the preacher is critiquing His audience. How they will hear is the issue
b. Some people are like the ground on the pathway; they allow no room for the seed of the word in their lives - it never enters
i. This is Satan's preferred result; his desire is that the word take no place in a person's life, so they don't run the "risk" of being fruitful to God
c. Some people are like the ground that is rocky, but covered with a thin layer of topsoil; they receive the seed of the word with a flash of enthusiasm that quickly burns out
d. Some people are like the seed that fell among the thorns; they receive the word but allow the interests and cares of this world choke it out

e. Some people are like the good ground, and receive the word with a good and noble heart, they keep the word, and thus bear fruit, thus fulfilling the purpose of the seed

f. These four categories apply to those who hear the gospel of salvation, but they also apply to those who are already saved who continually hear the word of God. How do you hear it? Do you let Satan take it right away? Do you take it but then immediately ignore it? Do you allow the cares of this world to make your hearing of the word of no effect? Or do you keep the word and see it bear fruit in your life?

B. The responsibility of those who receive the word
1. (16-17) They are responsible to expose and publish the truth - that is, the word of God
a. Truth, by its nature was meant to be revealed; and God promises that it will be
b. If you have the truth of God, you have a solemn responsibility to spread that truth in whatever way God gives you opportunity, even as someone who has the cure for a life-threatening disease has the moral responsibility to spread that cure

i. One must either spread the word itself, or spread the influence of God's word by bringing others to a place where they will hear it; and you really should be doing both!
ii. God didn't light your lamp so that it would be hidden!

2. (18) When we hear the word, we become accountable; so we must take care how we hear
a. Jesus reminds us that spiritual growth follows momentum, positive or negative - when we have the godly habits of receiving the word and living it, more is built on to that. When we lose those godly habits, they are extremely difficult to get back
b. If we want to hear more from God, we must obey what we have already heard

3. (19-21) We show that we are close to Jesus by hearing and obeying His word
a. We might have expected that Jesus' family would have special privileges before Him; it almost surprises us that they do not
b. Jesus indicates that His closest family is made up of those who hear and obey God's word. How can I draw close to God? By hearing His word and doing it. You can pray or sing or fast all day long, but if you are not hearing His word and doing it, you aren't drawing close to God

c. Jesus plainly had many brothers and sisters; the Roman Catholic idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is in contradiction to the plain meaning of the Bible

i. The brothers of Jesus never seemed to be supportive of His ministry before His death and resurrection (John 7:5, Mark 3:21)
C. Jesus calms the storm
1. (22-23) The stormy Sea of Galilee
a. The Sea of Galilee is well known for its sudden, violent storms; the severity of this storm is evident in the fact that the disciples (many of which were experienced fishermen on this very sea) were terrified
b. Jesus' true humanity is shown by His sleep on the boat; He became weary, and would sometimes need to catch sleep wherever He could

2. (24-25) Jesus calms the storm
a. Jesus didn't merely quiet the wind and the sea; He rebuked the winds and the sea; this, along with the disciple's great fear, and what Jesus will encounter at His destination, give the sense that Satan had a significant hand in this storm
b. Jesus doesn't say, "Wow, what a storm"; instead, He says Where is your faith? The storm could not disturb Jesus, but the unbelief of His disciples could and did

i. What was the basis of their unbelief? Not that they were afraid of a fearful circumstance, but because Jesus had said Let us go over to the other side of the lake (verse 22), not "Let's do the best we can and maybe we'll all drown."
ii. Just because you are having a tough time in a tough circumstance doesn't mean that you are walking in unbelief. Unbelief is when you are ignoring or rejecting a promise or command of God given to your situation

iii. The disciples also should have known that God would not allow the Messiah to perish in a boat crossing the sea of Galilee. What? Do we think that the story of Jesus would end with Him drowning?

c. The total calm of the sea should have filled them with peace, but instead, they were just as afraid when He calmed the storm as when they were in the midst of it
d. The disciples ask a good question: Who can this be? It can only be the LORD, Jehovah, who only has this power and authority: O LORD God of hosts, who is mighty like You, O LORD? Your faithfulness surrounds You. You rule the raging of the sea; when waves rise, You still them. (Psalm 89:8-9)

e. This account shows the abiding care Jesus has for His people. "There are many Christians today who seem to think the boat is going down! I am tired of the wailing of some of my friends who take that view. The boat cannot go down. Jesus is on board." (Morgan)

D. The deliverance of the Gaderene demoniac
1. (26-29) The man is described
a. This is the most detailed description of a demon possessed man we have in the Bible; it is the classic profile of demonic possession. The man has been demon possessed for a long time; the effect was to cause this man to live like a sub-human, wild animal (wore not clothes . . . in the tombs . . . bound with chains and shackles . . . broke the bonds . . . driven by the demon into the wilderness)
i. Curiously, many Christians think that this is how the Holy Spirit works - by overwhelming the operations of one's body, and making one do strange and grotesque things
b. When this man came to Jesus (there met Him; Jesus did not seek out the man), Jesus commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man
c. When the man cries out What have I to do with You . . . I beg You, do not torment me!, it is the demonic spirit speaking, not the man possessed. The demon did not want to leave his "host"

i. Demonic possession is when a demonic spirit resides in a human body, and at times will exhibit its own personality through the personality of the host body
ii. Demonic possession is a reality today, though we must guard against either ignoring demonic activity or over-emphasizing supposed demonic activity

iii. We are not told specifically how a person become demon possessed, other than the inference that it must be by some sort of invitation, whether offered knowingly or not

iv. Superstition, fortunetelling, "harmless" occult games and practices, spiritism, New Age deception, magic, drug taking and other things open doors of deception to the believer, and real demonic danger to the unbeliever

v. People often get involved in the occult or demonic things because there is something there that seems to work; unfortunately, it is not a something, but a someone

d. Why do demons want to inhabit bodies? For the same reason why the vandal wants a spray can, or a violent man wants a gun - a body is a weapon that they can use in their attack against God
i. Demons also attack men because they hate the image of God in man, so they try to mar that image, by debasing man and making him grotesque
ii. Demons have the same goal in Christians (to wreck the image of God) but their tactics are restricted; in regard to Christians, demonic spirits were "disarmed" by Jesus' work on the cross (Colossians 2:15), though they can both deceive and intimidate Christians, binding them with fear and unbelief

2. (30-34) Jesus demonstrates His authority over evil spirits
a. Why did Jesus ask for a name? Probably so that we would know the full extent of the problem, knowing that the man was filled with many demons (Legion) not just one
i. A Roman legion usually consisted of six thousand men; this does not mean that the man was inhabited with six thousand demons, but that he had many
b. The demons inhabiting this man did not want to be imprisoned in the abyss, which is the bottomless pit described in Revelation 9:11 - apparently, a "holding cell" for certain demonic spirits
c. The idea that demons may inhabit the bodies of animals seems strange, but the idea is also shown in Genesis 3; it was also appropriate that these demons be cast into swine, being non-kosher animals

i. The destructive nature of demonic spirits is shown by their effect on the swine; they are like their leader, Satan whose desire is to steal, and to kill, and to destroy (John 10:10)
3. (34-37) The reaction of the bystanders to the deliverance of the demon possessed man
a. They were more afraid of a free man than a possessed man; when they see the man in his right mind, sitting at the feet of Jesus, they were afraid . . . and they were seized with great fear
b. They didn't seem to mind having this demon possessed, tormented man in their midst, but they did mind having Jesus around - so they asked Him to leave - and He did!

i. "It is clear that they attached far more value to their earthly possessions than to the salvation of the possessed man and their own salvation as well." (Geldenhuys)
c. When people are more afraid of what Jesus will do in their lives than what Satan is doing in their lives right now, they often push Jesus away - and He may very well leave if you ask Him to
4. (38-39) The reaction of the man who had been delivered from demons
a. First, he sat at the feet of Jesus (35); but then he just wanted to be with Jesus (he begged Him that he might be with Him)
i. This man didn't only want what Jesus could do for him; the true change in his heart was shown by that he wanted Jesus Himself
b. Why wouldn't Jesus let this man follow Him and be with Him? Because Jesus knew that he had a more important ministry with his own family and community
i. Many who desire to be used greatly by God should first give attention to being used by God right in their own house; though this truly is the hardest place to minister
c. This man had a great message to tell: what great things Jesus had done for him; this is a gospel we should all be able to preach
E. A woman healed, a girl raised from the dead
1. (40-42) A father's plea that Jesus would heal his only daughter
a. When the centurion came to Jesus in a similar situation (Luke 7:1-10), Jesus didn't even go to the centurion's house to heal the servant - He simply pronounced him healed from a distance
b. But here, Jesus does not demand that Jarius show the same faith as the centurion did; Jesus responds to the faith that we have

2. (43-48) A woman healed of her hemorrhage
a. This woman was in a desperate condition; her bleeding made her ceremonially and socially unclean; this would be quite a burden to live under for 12 years
i. Luke the physician also tells us that she had spent all her livelihood on physicians; he knew how doctor bills could take all that you had!
ii. According to the Jewish ideas of the time, if this woman touched anyone, she imparted an uncleanness to them, an uncleanness that would not allow them to take part in any aspect of Israel's worship

b. But when she touched His garment, Jesus wasn't made unclean; the woman was made whole. When we come to Jesus with our sin, and lay it upon Him, it doesn't make Him a sinner, but it makes us clean
c. How could this woman be healed by touching the border of Jesus' garment? Because even though her faith had elements of err and superstition, she believed in the healing power of Jesus, and the border of His garment served as a point of contact for that faith

i. There are many things that we could find wrong with this woman's faith; but more than anything, her faith was in Jesus, and the object of faith is much more important than the quality of faith
d. When the woman touched Jesus and was immediately healed, Jesus "felt" something happen: I perceived power going out from Me. Jesus had a sense that someone had just been healed
e. Because this woman was embarrassed, and thought that because of her uncleanness, no one would let her touch Jesus, she tried to do it secretly. But God always brings His work out into the open, even if it may start secretly

f. The woman saw that she was not hidden perhaps means that Jesus was looking right at her when He said Somebody touched Me; the woman had to come forth, because Jesus knew who she was

i. It isn't hard to see the woman, in frightened embarrassment, speaking quickly, describing the whole situation to Jesus, and being so glad she was healed
ii. Jesus doesn't correct her superstitious faith; her encounter with Jesus Himself has done that. Jesus wants to encourage her and build up her faith

g. What was Jarius thinking while Jesus took the time to minister to this woman's need? God always seems slow to the sufferer!
3. (49-50) Jesus calls Jarius to a radical faith with a radical promise
a. We can imagine how Jarius' heart sank when he heard this; he must have thought, "I knew this was taking too long! I knew Jesus shouldn't have wasted His time on this silly woman!"
i. We sometimes think that God has waited too long, and that things are beyond fixing; but God always knows what He is doing
b. Jesus gives Jarius two things to do: stop being afraid, and only believe. We often can't really believe in Jesus until we give Him all of our fears and concerns
c. But the only thing that Jarius had to believe in was Jesus' word; everything else told him that his daughter was gone forever. This is both the best place, and the hardest place, to be

4. (51-56) Jesus raises her from the dead
a. In that day, it was customary to hire professional mourners to add to the atmosphere of grief and pain at a death; but the professional mourners could only grieve superficially. Notice how quickly they turn from weeping to scornful laughter
b. Jesus will have nothing to do with these people who don't believe His promises; and He drives them out so that they won't discourage the faith of Jarius

c. Jesus, with the authority of God, speaks to the girl as if she were alive (because God gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did, Romans 4:17), and she is raised from the dead

d. Jesus didn't fail Jarius; and He didn't fail the woman who needed healing. But in ministering to both, He needed to stretch the faith of Jarius extra far

Last Name: __________________ First Name: _____________________

DOB: ____/____/______

Last Name of Spouse: ____________ First Name of Spouse: _____________

Spouse’s DOB: ____/____/______

Address: ____________________________________________________________

City: ______________________ State: ______ Zip: _____________________

Phone Number: ________________________ Cell Phone: __________________

Email Address: ______________________________________________________

Wedding Anniversary Date: ____/____/______

Those dependents that are living with you:

First Name: ______________________ Last Name: _______________________

DOB: ____/____/______ [__] Male [__] Female

DOB: ____/____/______ [__] Male [__] Female

DOB: ____/____/______ Male [__] Female

DOB: ____/____/______ Male [__] Female

We are a Life Changing Ministry, a Going ministry and a growing Ministry and Praying Ministry, this is a Growing Ministry, a Ministry that Brings Results!
Please send Us Your Prayer Requests Your Celebration of Praises, any letters or other to
JESUS IS LORD FELLOWSHIP WWI USA HQ
DR. DIANA BREVAN
PO BOX 2752
INVERNESS FLORIDA 34451
You Also are welcome to write to us to
Dr. Diana Brevan:
Pastora Diana Brevan Headquartersjilfwwi@yahoo.com
Deacon Matthew Helmich: Matt76021@yahoo.com
Rosemary Gutierrez rosemayv1197@gmail.com

WWW.Jesusislordfellowshipwwi.bravehost.com No Membership required. Everyone is welcome every moment of your day and night to visit us to click on the Icon Fellowship Hall and Receive Your Word of the day as you scroll for your day and your weekly message and Word of God. Please as you visit regular click on the guestbook and sign the guest book so we will know that you came to visit us and how you enjoyed your stay. God bless you and remember Jesus Is Lord!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jesusislordfellowship/ Membership is required to join the yahoo groups to enter our on line Fellowship Building to receive your daily and weekly Word.
JesusIsLordFellowshipBibleStudies-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Membership is required to join the yahoo groups to enter our on line Fellowship Building.
Now stand in agreement and Let’s Praise Him Church Lets Praise Him! No Matter who you are what background you hold You are welcome to Worship with us and receive as well the Word in all of our Websites everyone that has breath is welcome to receive our weekly Bible Studies Everyone that has breath is welcome to Raise their hands and Touch the Hem of the Lords Garment in Prayer as we two or more gathered standing in agreement together!
To Join to our World Wide Prayer Warriors Websites: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/upperroomofprayer
Prayer Room World Wide Warriors on Facebook Site
https://www.facebook.com/groups/519140074816300/
Dr Diana Brevan Founder/President/Senior Pastora