Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr Diana Brevan's Ponderings 1/11/19

Dr Diana Brevan’s Ponderings 1-11-19
Jesus is Lord Fellowship WWI
Where we make a difference in People’s lives

Ponderings from our very own Dr. Diana Brevan for today

Dear Partners World Wide, I bring to you my (Dr. Diana Brevan) ponderings this today. May the Lord richly bless you and yours as we go right into to today’s ponderings prayer and the Word.
Day One: What does it mean to be Born again

The words "born again" have always signified something of great importance to those who believe in the Bible. They are expressive of the new birth which follows the believer's death to, or separation from, sin, and delivers us into the kingdom of God.

The expression is heard frequently today. Many people claim to have experienced this unusual phenomenon. But what is it? What does it mean to say someone is born again? And, how does it happen? What is our involvement, if any, that causes this birth to occur?

These questions are important, and worthy of careful investigation. By examining what the Bible has to say about this matter, we should be able to find the answers.

In John 3, the Bible depicts a meeting that occurred between Nicodemus, a Pharisee and ruler of the Jews, and Jesus. During their conversation, Jesus said to Nicodemus: "(John 3:3 NIV) In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."." Nicodemus must not have understood what Jesus meant, for he asked: "(John 3:4 NIV) "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

Jesus answered: (John 3:5-8 NIV) Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. {6} Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. {7} You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' {8} The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

By answering this way, Jesus taught that physical birth is not the same as the new birth. The new birth was something quite different. Man had to be "born of water and of the Spirit."

Some have taken this to mean that in order to be born again you must first be born as a child is born (a physical birth), and then, later in life, be born in a "spiritual" sense, when the Holy Spirit miraculously comes upon you. According to this understanding, John 3 applies to two births which are separated by an expanded period of time. But Jesus answered Nicodemus' question in order to show that no aspect of a physical birth was intended. In addition, other Bible passages refer to the new birth as a single, not a dual, event. Thus, two births could not have been the object of Jesus' teaching.

What then is this birth of water and spirit? Though much could be said, we note only these three important truths about the new birth:

(1) The new birth allows us to see ((John 3:3 NIV) In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."), or enter ((John 3:5 NIV) Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.), the kingdom of God. In verse three, Jesus states that being "born again" allows one to "see" God's kingdom. That thought is explained, in verse five, when Jesus says that it is through the birth of water and the Spirit that one enters God's kingdom.

It seems obvious that the phrases "born again" and "born of water and the Spirit" refer to each other. When one is born of water and Spirit, he is born again.

Likewise, "seeing" and "entering" the kingdom are related. When one "sees" the kingdom, as Jesus intends it in verse 3, he enters the kingdom.

Consequently, understanding what it means to enter God's kingdom is crucial. That understanding is made clearer when we realize that the Bible equates the kingdom with the church that Jesus died to build. ((Matthew 16:18-19 NIV) And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. {19} I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."). It is a kingdom that the prophets of God foretold in the Old Testament ((Isaiah 2:1-4 NIV) This is what Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem: {2} In the last days the mountain of the Lord's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and all nations will stream to it. {3} Many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. {4} He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.; (Micah 4:1-2 NIV) In the last days the mountain of the Lord's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and peoples will stream to it. {2} Many nations will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.; (Daniel 2:44 NIV) "In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever.; (Joel 2:28-32 NIV) 'And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. {29} Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. {30} I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and billows of smoke. {31} The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD. {32} And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the LORD has said, among the survivors whom the LORD calls.).

In the second chapter of Acts we learn that the establishment of that kingdom (and thus the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy) was realized when the church began on the Pentecost following Christ's resurrection. Peter's preaching that day was a message of repentance and baptism and was obeyed by some 3000 souls who were "added" to something ((Acts 2:41 NIV) Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.). The last verse of the chapter teaches us that God added these souls to the church as they were being saved. That is to say that their addition to the church by the Lord occurred at the same time that they were being saved. Entrance into the church, then, is both simultaneous and synonymous with entrance into Christ's kingdom.

As a result, whatever adds one to the kingdom also adds one to the church, and vice versa. When one enters the kingdom of God, by means of the new birth, he enters the church. When one, by means of the birth of water and the Spirit, enters the church, he also enters the kingdom.

(2) The new birth includes baptism (immersion) in water. John the Baptist, the fore-runner of Jesus, was involved in heralding the kingdom of God. His message was "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!" ((Matthew 3:2 NIV) and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.") As part of his work in preparing the way for Christ, John baptized those who came confessing and repenting of their sins, for the remission of those sins ((Matthew 3:2-6 NIV) and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near." {3} This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'" {4} John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. {5} People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. {6} Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. (Mark 1:1-5 NIV) The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God. {2} It is written in Isaiah the prophet: "I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way"-- {3} "a voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'" {4} And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. {5} The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.; (Luke 3:1-8 NIV) In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar--when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, Herod tetrarch of Galilee, his brother Philip tetrarch of Iturea and Traconitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene-- {2} during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the desert. {3} He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. {4} As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him. {5} Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth. {6} And all mankind will see God's salvation.'" {7} John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? {8} Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.; (John 1:19-34 NIV) Now this was John's testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. {20} He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Christ." {21} They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" He answered, "No." {22} Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?" {23} John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.'" {24} Now some Pharisees who had been sent {25} questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?" {26} "I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. {27} He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." {28} This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing. {29} The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! {30} This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' {31} I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." {32} Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. {33} I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' {34} I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God."; (John 4:1 NIV) The Pharisees heard that Jesus was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John,). Though Jesus was sinless ((Hebrews 4:15 NIV) For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.), he, too, was baptized of John to "fulfill all righteousness." ((Matthew 3:13-17 NIV) Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. {14} But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" {15} Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented. {16} As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. {17} And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.")

Though many Jews relied upon their ancestry through Abraham, that is their physical birth, to save them, John corrected them: "do not think to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones." ((Matthew 3:9 NIV) And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.)

The new birth, then, is quite different than a physical birth. It is primarily a spiritual birth, occurring simultaneously with the act of baptism, or immersion, in water. Concerning this, note the following remark: "Water naturally suggested to Nicodemus the baptism of John which was then awakening such profound and general interest; and, with this, the symbolical purifications of the Jews, and the Old Testament use of washing as the figure of purifying from sin ((Psalms 51:2 NIV) Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin., (Psalms 51:7 NIV) Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.; (Ezekiel 36:25 NIV) I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.; (Zechariah 13:1 NIV) "On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity.). Jesus' words opened to Nicodemus a new and more spiritual significance in both the ceremonial purifications and the baptism of John which the Pharisees had rejected ((Luke 7:30 NIV) But the Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)). John's rite had a real and legitimate relation to the kingdom of God which Nicodemus must accept."

This simply means that baptism (immersion in water) was necessary for entrance into the kingdom of God. The physical act of baptism fulfills that part of the new birth which states that we are to be "born of water."

(3) The new birth includes our obedience to the word of God. While Jesus affirmed the necessity of baptism as an essential element of the new birth, he also affirmed the necessity of the spiritual element in that birth by instructing that such be "of the Spirit." The physical act without the spiritual element would have been meaningless. But what is this spiritual element? How are we born "of the Spirit?"

As we examine the Bible, we note at least these significant points concerning the Spirit:
• the Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead, which is also composed of God (the Father) and Christ (the Son),
• every attribute and characteristic of God the Father and God the Son applies with equal force to the Holy Spirit,
• each person of the Godhead has unique roles which often overlap those of the other two, and
• one of the unique roles of the Spirit centers around the message of God.

It is this last element of the Spirit's work that is of importance to us as we examine the meaning of the birth "of the Spirit." The Holy Spirit, in both Old and New Testaments, played a unique role in the revelation and the inspiration of the message of God. We will continue our next article in this series by focusing on that important function
We are a Life Changing Ministry,, a Going ministry and a growing Ministry and Praying Ministry, This is a Growing Ministry, a Ministry that Brings Results !

Thank you and may the Lord richly bless you

For full current Contact Details see our posting in the Fellowship Halls

Senior Pastor, Dr. Diana Brevan, headquartersjilfwwi@yahoo.com

You are invited to visit our various sites:-

Jesus Is Lord Fellowship WWI
USA Headquarters
PO Box2752
Inverness Florida 34451
352-637-3046

Deacon Matthew Helmich.

Matt76021@yahoo.com
WWW.Jesusislordfellowshipwwi.bravehost.com No Membership required. Everyone is welcome every moment of your day and night to visit us to click on the Icon Fellowship Hall and Receive Your Word of the day as you scroll for your day and your weekly message and Word of God. Please as you visit regular click on the guestbook and sign the guest book so we will know that you came to visit us and how you enjoyed your stay. God bless you and remember Jesus Is Lord!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jesusislordfellowship/ Membership is required to join the yahoo groups to enter our on line Fellowship Building to receive your daily and weekly Word.

JesusIsLordFellowshipBibleStudies-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Membership is required to join the yahoo groups to enter our on line Fellowship Building.

Contact Dr Diana Brevan at Headquartersjilfwwi@yahoo.com re Bible Studies

Now stand in agreement and Lets Praise Him Church Lets Praise Him! No Matter who you are what background you hold You are welcome to Worship with us and receive as well the Word in all of our Websites everyone that has breath is welcome to receive our weekly Bible Studies Everyone that has breath is welcome to Raise their hands and Touch The Hem of the Lords Garment In Prayer as we two or more gathered standing in agreement together!

To Join to our World Wide Prayer Warriors Websites: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/upperroomofprayer

Prayer Room World Wide Warriors on Facebook Site
https://www.facebook.com/groups/519140074816300/

Jesus Is Lord Fellowship World Wide Certified GPA Bible Studies Class Room on Facebook Site

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1155622584614925/

Dr Diana Brevan Founder/President/Senior Pastora