Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Testament Bible Reading 05-19-2023

Old Testament Bible Reading 05-19-2023

Genesis 41-42
New King James Version
Pharaoh’s Dreams

41 Then it came to pass, at the end of two full years, that Pharaoh had a dream; and behold, he stood by the river. 2 Suddenly there came up out of the river seven cows, fine looking and fat; and they fed in the meadow. 3 Then behold, seven other cows came up after them out of the river, ugly and gaunt, and stood by the other cows on the bank of the river. 4 And the ugly and gaunt cows ate up the seven fine looking and fat cows. So Pharaoh awoke. 5 He slept and dreamed a second time; and suddenly seven heads of grain came up on one stalk, plump and good. 6 Then behold, seven thin heads, blighted by the east wind, sprang up after them. 7 And the seven thin heads devoured the seven plump and full heads. So Pharaoh awoke, and indeed, it was a dream. 8 Now it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled, and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. And Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was no one who could interpret them for Pharaoh.

9 Then the chief butler spoke to Pharaoh, saying: “I remember my faults this day. 10 When Pharaoh was angry with his servants, and put me in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, both me and the chief baker, 11 we each had a dream in one night, he and I. Each of us dreamed according to the interpretation of his own dream. 12 Now there was a young Hebrew man with us there, a servant of the captain of the guard. And we told him, and he interpreted our dreams for us; to each man he interpreted according to his own dream. 13 And it came to pass, just as he interpreted for us, so it happened. He restored me to my office, and he hanged him.”

14 Then Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they brought him quickly out of the dungeon; and he shaved, changed his clothing, and came to Pharaoh. 15 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that you can understand a dream, to interpret it.”

16 So Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, “It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh an answer of peace.”

17 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph: “Behold, in my dream I stood on the bank of the river. 18 Suddenly seven cows came up out of the river, fine looking and fat; and they fed in the meadow. 19 Then behold, seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and gaunt, such ugliness as I have never seen in all the land of Egypt. 20 And the gaunt and ugly cows ate up the first seven, the fat cows. 21 When they had eaten them up, no one would have known that they had eaten them, for they were just as ugly as at the beginning. So I awoke. 22 Also I saw in my dream, and suddenly seven heads came up on one stalk, full and good. 23 Then behold, seven heads, withered, thin, and blighted by the east wind, sprang up after them. 24 And the thin heads devoured the seven good heads. So I told this to the magicians, but there was no one who could explain it to me.”

25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has shown Pharaoh what He is about to do: 26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good heads are seven years; the dreams are one. 27 And the seven thin and ugly cows which came up after them are seven years, and the seven empty heads blighted by the east wind are seven years of famine. 28 This is the thing which I have spoken to Pharaoh. God has shown Pharaoh what He is about to do. 29 Indeed seven years of great plenty will come throughout all the land of Egypt; 30 but after them seven years of famine will arise, and all the plenty will be forgotten in the land of Egypt; and the famine will deplete the land. 31 So the plenty will not be known in the land because of the famine following, for it will be very severe. 32 And the dream was repeated to Pharaoh twice because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.

33 “Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, to collect one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years. 35 And let them gather all the food of those good years that are coming, and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities. 36 Then that food shall be as a reserve for the land for the seven years of famine which shall be in the land of Egypt, that the land may not perish during the famine.”

Joseph’s Rise to Power

37 So the advice was good in the eyes of Pharaoh and in the eyes of all his servants. 38 And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?”

39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you. 40 You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word; only in regard to the throne will I be greater than you.” 41 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “See, I have set you over all the land of Egypt.”

42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring off his hand and put it on Joseph’s hand; and he clothed him in garments of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. 43 And he had him ride in the second chariot which he had; and they cried out before him, “Bow the knee!” So he set him over all the land of Egypt. 44 Pharaoh also said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, and without your consent no man may lift his hand or foot in all the land of Egypt.” 45 And Pharaoh called Joseph’s name Zaphnath-Paaneah. And he gave him as a wife Asenath, the daughter of Poti-Pherah priest of On. So Joseph went out over all the land of Egypt.

46 Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt. 47 Now in the seven plentiful years the ground brought forth abundantly. 48 So he gathered up all the food of the seven years which were in the land of Egypt, and laid up the food in the cities; he laid up in every city the food of the fields which surrounded them. 49 Joseph gathered very much grain, as the sand of the sea, until he stopped counting, for it was immeasurable.

50 And to Joseph were born two sons before the years of famine came, whom Asenath, the daughter of Poti-Pherah priest of On, bore to him. 51 Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: “For God has made me forget all my toil and all my father’s house.” 52 And the name of the second he called Ephraim: “For God has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.”

53 Then the seven years of plenty which were in the land of Egypt ended, 54 and the seven years of famine began to come, as Joseph had said. The famine was in all lands, but in all the land of Egypt there was bread. 55 So when all the land of Egypt was famished, the people cried to Pharaoh for bread. Then Pharaoh said to all the Egyptians, “Go to Joseph; whatever he says to you, do.” 56 The famine was over all the face of the earth, and Joseph opened all the storehouses and sold to the Egyptians. And the famine became severe in the land of Egypt. 57 So all countries came to Joseph in Egypt to buy grain, because the famine was severe in all lands.

Joseph’s Brothers Go to Egypt

42 When Jacob saw that there was grain in Egypt, Jacob said to his sons, “Why do you look at one another?” 2 And he said, “Indeed I have heard that there is grain in Egypt; go down to that place and buy for us there, that we may live and not die.”

3 So Joseph’s ten brothers went down to buy grain in Egypt. 4 But Jacob did not send Joseph’s brother Benjamin with his brothers, for he said, “Lest some calamity befall him.” 5 And the sons of Israel went to buy grain among those who journeyed, for the famine was in the land of Canaan.

6 Now Joseph was governor over the land; and it was he who sold to all the people of the land. And Joseph’s brothers came and bowed down before him with their faces to the earth. 7 Joseph saw his brothers and recognized them, but he acted as a stranger to them and spoke roughly to them. Then he said to them, “Where do you come from?”

And they said, “From the land of Canaan to buy food.”

8 So Joseph recognized his brothers, but they did not recognize him. 9 Then Joseph remembered the dreams which he had dreamed about them, and said to them, “You are spies! You have come to see the nakedness of the land!”

10 And they said to him, “No, my lord, but your servants have come to buy food. 11 We are all one man’s sons; we are honest men; your servants are not spies.”

12 But he said to them, “No, but you have come to see the nakedness of the land.”

13 And they said, “Your servants are twelve brothers, the sons of one man in the land of Canaan; and in fact, the youngest is with our father today, and one is no more.”

14 But Joseph said to them, “It is as I spoke to you, saying, ‘You are spies!’ 15 In this manner you shall be tested: By the life of Pharaoh, you shall not leave this place unless your youngest brother comes here. 16 Send one of you, and let him bring your brother; and you shall be kept in prison, that your words may be tested to see whether there is any truth in you; or else, by the life of Pharaoh, surely you are spies!” 17 So he put them all together in prison three days.

18 Then Joseph said to them the third day, “Do this and live, for I fear God: 19 If you are honest men, let one of your brothers be confined to your prison house; but you, go and carry grain for the famine of your houses. 20 And bring your youngest brother to me; so your words will be verified, and you shall not die.”

And they did so. 21 Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.”

22 And Reuben answered them, saying, “Did I not speak to you, saying, ‘Do not sin against the boy’; and you would not listen? Therefore behold, his blood is now required of us.” 23 But they did not know that Joseph understood them, for he spoke to them through an interpreter. 24 And he turned himself away from them and wept. Then he returned to them again, and talked with them. And he took Simeon from them and bound him before their eyes.

The Brothers Return to Canaan

25 Then Joseph gave a command to fill their sacks with grain, to restore every man’s money to his sack, and to give them provisions for the journey. Thus he did for them. 26 So they loaded their donkeys with the grain and departed from there. 27 But as one of them opened his sack to give his donkey feed at the encampment, he saw his money; and there it was, in the mouth of his sack. 28 So he said to his brothers, “My money has been restored, and there it is, in my sack!” Then their hearts failed them and they were afraid, saying to one another, “What is this that God has done to us?”

29 Then they went to Jacob their father in the land of Canaan and told him all that had happened to them, saying: 30 “The man who is lord of the land spoke roughly to us, and took us for spies of the country. 31 But we said to him, ‘We are honest men; we are not spies. 32 We are twelve brothers, sons of our father; one is no more, and the youngest is with our father this day in the land of Canaan.’ 33 Then the man, the lord of the country, said to us, ‘By this I will know that you are honest men: Leave one of your brothers here with me, take food for the famine of your households, and be gone. 34 And bring your youngest brother to me; so I shall know that you are not spies, but that you are honest men. I will grant your brother to you, and you may trade in the land.’ ”

35 Then it happened as they emptied their sacks, that surprisingly each man’s bundle of money was in his sack; and when they and their father saw the bundles of money, they were afraid. 36 And Jacob their father said to them, “You have bereaved me: Joseph is no more, Simeon is no more, and you want to take Benjamin. All these things are against me.”

37 Then Reuben spoke to his father, saying, “Kill my two sons if I do not bring him back to you; put him in my hands, and I will bring him back to you.”

38 But he said, “My son shall not go down with you, for his brother is dead, and he is left alone. If any calamity should befall him along the way in which you go, then you would bring down my gray hair with sorrow to the grave.”

Footnotes

Genesis 41:22 Heads of grain
Genesis 41:26 Heads of grain
Genesis 41:34 overseers
Genesis 41:35 Lit. hand
Genesis 41:36 Lit. supply
Genesis 41:36 be cut off
Genesis 41:40 In charge of
Genesis 41:45 Probably Egyptian for God Speaks and He Lives
Genesis 41:47 Lit. by handfuls
Genesis 41:51 Lit. Making Forgetful
Genesis 41:52 Lit. Fruitfulness
Genesis 41:56 Lit. all that was in them
Genesis 42:7 harshly
Genesis 42:9 Exposed parts
Genesis 42:16 Lit. bound
Genesis 42:17 Lit. gathered
Genesis 42:28 sank
Genesis 42:30 harshly
Génesis 41-42
Reina Valera Actualizada
José interpreta los sueños del faraón

41 Aconteció después de dos años completos que el faraón tuvo un sueño: He aquí que él estaba de pie junto al Nilo; 2 y del Nilo subían siete vacas de hermoso aspecto y gordas de carne, y pacían entre los juncos. 3 Pero he aquí que otras siete vacas salían del Nilo, detrás de ellas, de mal aspecto y flacas de carne. Estas se pusieron junto a las otras vacas a la orilla del Nilo. 4 Entonces las vacas de mal aspecto y flacas de carne devoraron a las siete vacas de hermoso aspecto y gordas. Y el faraón se despertó.

5 Se durmió de nuevo y soñó por segunda vez; y he aquí que siete espigas subieron de un solo tallo, gruesas y hermosas. 6 Pero he aquí que detrás de ellas brotaron otras siete espigas delgadas y quemadas por el viento del oriente. 7 Entonces las espigas delgadas devoraron a las siete espigas gruesas y llenas. El faraón se despertó, y he aquí que había sido un sueño.

8 Sucedió que por la mañana su espíritu estaba perturbado, por lo que mandó llamar a todos los magos de Egipto y a todos sus sabios. El faraón les contó sus sueños, pero no había quien se los interpretara al faraón. 9 Entonces el jefe de los coperos habló al faraón diciendo:

—Ahora haré mención de una falta mía. 10 El faraón se enojó contra sus siervos y me echó en la cárcel de la casa del capitán de la guardia, junto con el jefe de los panaderos. 11 En una misma noche él y yo tuvimos un sueño, y cada sueño tenía su propia interpretación. 12 Y estaba allí con nosotros un joven hebreo, esclavo del capitán de la guardia. Se lo contamos, y él interpretó nuestros sueños; a cada uno le interpretó su propio sueño. 13 Y aconteció que tal como él nos lo interpretó, así sucedió: A mí el faraón me restableció en mi puesto y al otro lo hizo colgar.

14 Entonces el faraón mandó llamar a José, y lo hicieron salir apresuradamente de la mazmorra. Se afeitó, se cambió de ropa y vino al faraón. 15 Entonces el faraón dijo a José:

—He tenido un sueño, y no hay quien me lo interprete. Pero he oído hablar de ti, que escuchas sueños y los interpretas.

16 José respondió al faraón diciendo:

—No está en mí. Dios responderá para el bienestar del faraón.

17 Entonces el faraón dijo a José:

—En mi sueño yo estaba de pie a la orilla del Nilo. 18 Y he aquí que del Nilo salían siete vacas gordas de carne y de hermoso aspecto, y pacían entre los juncos. 19 Pero he aquí que otras siete vacas subían detrás de ellas, delgadas, de muy feo aspecto y flacas de carne. Jamás he visto otras tan feas como aquellas en toda la tierra de Egipto. 20 Entonces las vacas flacas y feas devoraron a las siete primeras vacas gordas. 21 Estas entraron en su interior, pero no parecía que hubieran entrado en ellas, porque su apariencia seguía siendo tan mala como al comienzo. Y me desperté. 22 Vi también en mi sueño siete espigas que subieron de un solo tallo, llenas y hermosas. 23 Pero he aquí que detrás de ellas brotaron otras siete espigas, secas, delgadas y quemadas por el viento del oriente. 24 Entonces las espigas delgadas devoraron a las siete espigas hermosas. Se lo he contado a los magos, pero no hay quien me lo interprete.

25 Entonces José respondió al faraón:

—El sueño del faraón es uno solo. Dios ha mostrado al faraón lo que va a hacer: 26 Las siete vacas hermosas son siete años; y las siete espigas hermosas también son siete años. Se trata de un mismo sueño. 27 Las siete vacas flacas y feas que salían detrás de las primeras son siete años, y las siete espigas delgadas y quemadas por el viento del oriente son siete años de hambre. 28 Como dije al faraón, Dios ha mostrado al faraón lo que va a hacer. 29 He aquí que vienen siete años de gran abundancia en toda la tierra de Egipto, 30 pero después de ellos vendrán siete años de hambre. Toda la abundancia anterior será olvidada en la tierra de Egipto. El hambre consumirá la tierra, 31 y aquella abundancia pasará desapercibida en la tierra, debido al hambre que vendrá después, porque será muy grave. 32 El hecho de que el sueño del faraón haya sucedido dos veces significa que la cosa está firmemente decidida de parte de Dios, y que Dios se apresura a ejecutarla.

33 »Por tanto, provéase el faraón de un hombre entendido y sabio y póngalo a cargo de la tierra de Egipto. 34 Haga esto el faraón: Ponga funcionarios a cargo del país que recauden la quinta parte del producto de la tierra de Egipto durante los siete años de abundancia. 35 Que ellos acumulen todos los alimentos de estos años buenos que vienen, que almacenen el trigo bajo la supervisión del faraón, y que los guarden en las ciudades para sustento. 36 Sean guardados los alimentos como reserva para el país, para los siete años de hambre que vendrán sobre la tierra de Egipto. Así el país no será arruinado por el hambre.

José es hecho señor de todo Egipto

37 El plan le pareció bien al faraón y a todos sus servidores. 38 Entonces el faraón dijo a sus servidores:

—¿Podremos hallar otro hombre como este, en quien esté el espíritu de Dios?

39 El faraón dijo a José:

—Puesto que Dios te ha hecho saber todo esto, no hay nadie tan entendido ni sabio como tú. 40 Tú estarás a cargo de mi casa, y todo mi pueblo será gobernado bajo tus órdenes. Solamente en el trono seré yo superior a ti. 41 —El faraón dijo además a José—: He aquí, yo te pongo a cargo de toda la tierra de Egipto.

42 Entonces el faraón se quitó el anillo de su mano y lo puso en la mano de José. Lo vistió con vestiduras de lino fino y puso un collar de oro en su cuello. 43 Luego lo hizo subir en su segundo carro, y proclamaban delante de él: “¡Doblen la rodilla!”. Así lo puso a cargo de toda la tierra de Egipto, 44 y el faraón dijo a José:

—Yo soy el faraón, y sin tu autorización ninguno alzará su mano ni su pie en toda la tierra de Egipto.

45 El faraón llamó a José Zafenat-panéaj , y le dio por mujer a Asenat hija de Potifera, sacerdote de On. Y José salió a recorrer toda la tierra de Egipto.

46 José tenía treinta años cuando empezó a servir al faraón, rey de Egipto. Saliendo José de la presencia del faraón, recorrió toda la tierra de Egipto. 47 La tierra produjo a montones en aquellos siete años de abundancia. 48 Él juntó todas las provisiones de aquellos siete años en la tierra de Egipto y almacenó los alimentos en las ciudades, llevando a cada ciudad las provisiones de los campos cercanos. 49 José acumuló trigo como la arena del mar, tantísimo que dejó de calcularlo, porque era incalculable.

50 Antes del primer año de hambre, le nacieron a José dos hijos, los cuales le dio a luz Asenat hija de Potifera, sacerdote de On. 51 José llamó el nombre del primogénito Manasés , porque dijo: “Dios me ha hecho olvidar todo mi sufrimiento y toda la casa de mi padre”. 52 Al segundo lo llamó Efraín , porque dijo: “Dios me ha hecho fecundo en la tierra de mi aflicción”.

Comienzo de los años de hambre

53 Se terminaron los siete años de abundancia que hubo en la tierra de Egipto, 54 y comenzaron a llegar los siete años de hambre, tal como José había anunciado. Había hambre en todos los países, pero en toda la tierra de Egipto había qué comer. 55 Pero cuando el hambre se sentía en toda la tierra de Egipto, el pueblo clamaba al faraón por alimentos. Entonces el faraón dijo a todos los egipcios: “Vayan a José y hagan lo que él les diga”.

56 El hambre se extendió a todos los rincones del país. Entonces José abrió todos los depósitos de grano y vendía provisiones a los egipcios, porque el hambre se había intensificado en la tierra de Egipto. 57 También de todos los países venían a Egipto para comprar provisiones a José, porque el hambre se había intensificado en toda la tierra.

Los hijos de Jacob acuden a Egipto

42 Viendo Jacob que había provisiones en Egipto, dijo a sus hijos:

—¿Por qué se están mirando unos a otros? 2 —Y añadió—: He aquí, he oído que en Egipto hay provisiones. Desciendan allá y compren para nosotros de allí, para que vivamos y no muramos.

3 Diez de los hermanos de José descendieron a comprar trigo en Egipto. 4 Pero Jacob no envió con sus hermanos a Benjamín, hermano de José, porque dijo:

—No suceda que le acontezca alguna desgracia.

5 Fueron, pues, los hijos de Israel entre los que iban a comprar provisiones, porque había hambre en la tierra de Canaán. 6 Y José era el gobernador de la tierra, el que vendía provisiones a todos los pueblos de la tierra. Entonces llegaron los hermanos de José y se postraron ante él con el rostro a tierra. 7 Y al ver José a sus hermanos los reconoció, pero simuló serles extraño y les habló con dureza. Luego les preguntó:

—¿De dónde han venido?

Ellos le respondieron:

—De la tierra de Canaán, para comprar alimentos.

8 José reconoció a sus hermanos, pero ellos no lo reconocieron a él. 9 Entonces José se acordó de los sueños que había tenido acerca de ellos y les dijo:

—¡Son espías! Para ver los lugares desprotegidos del país han venido.

10 Ellos le respondieron:

—No, señor nuestro. Tus siervos hemos venido para comprar alimentos. 11 Todos nosotros somos hijos de un mismo hombre. Somos hombres honestos; tus siervos no somos espías.

12 Él les dijo:

—No, sino que para ver los lugares desprotegidos del país han venido.

13 Ellos respondieron:

—Tus siervos somos doce hermanos, hijos de un mismo hombre de la tierra de Canaán; pero el menor se ha quedado ahora con nuestro padre, y el otro ya no está con nosotros.

14 José les dijo:

—Eso es lo que he dicho al afirmar que son espías. 15 En esto serán probados: ¡Vive el faraón que no saldrán de aquí, sino cuando venga aquí su hermano menor! 16 Envíen a uno de ustedes y que traiga a su hermano, y ustedes se quedan presos. Así se comprobarán sus palabras, si la verdad está en ustedes. Y si no, ¡vive el faraón, que son espías!

17 Los puso en la cárcel por tres días, 18 y al tercer día José les dijo:

—Hagan esto y vivirán. Yo temo a Dios. 19 Si son hombres honestos, quede preso en su celda uno de sus hermanos. El resto vayan, lleven las provisiones para saciar el hambre de sus casas. 20 Pero han de traerme a su hermano menor. Así serán verificadas sus palabras, y no morirán.

Ellos lo hicieron así. 21 Y se decían el uno al otro:

—Verdaderamente somos culpables con respecto a nuestro hermano, pues a pesar de ver la angustia de su alma cuando nos pedía compasión, no lo escuchamos. Por eso ha venido sobre nosotros esta desgracia.

22 Entonces Rubén les respondió diciendo:

—¿No os hablé yo, diciendo: “No pequen contra el muchacho”, y no me escucharon? He aquí, también su sangre nos es demandada.

23 Ellos no sabían que José les entendía, porque él hablaba con ellos por medio de un intérprete. 24 Y apartándose de ellos, lloró. Después volvió a ellos y les habló; y tomando de entre ellos a Simeón, lo tomó preso a la vista de ellos. 25 Después José ordenó que llenaran sus costales de trigo y que a cada uno le devolvieran su dinero colocándolo en su costal. También ordenó que les dieran provisiones para el camino. Y así se hizo con ellos.

Benjamín es llevado a Egipto

26 Ellos pusieron sus provisiones sobre sus asnos y se f