Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Testament Bible Reading 5-31-2023

Old Testament Bible Reading 5-31-2023
Exodus 15-16
New King James Version
The Song of Moses
15 Then Moses and the children of Israel sang this song to the Lord, and spoke, saying:
“I will sing to the Lord,
For He has triumphed gloriously!
The horse and its rider
He has thrown into the sea!
2 The Lord is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation;
He is my God, and I will praise Him;
My father’s God, and I will exalt Him.
3 The Lord is a man of war;
The Lord is His name.
4 Pharaoh’s chariots and his army He has cast into the sea;
His chosen captains also are drowned in the Red Sea.
5 The depths have covered them;
They sank to the bottom like a stone.
6 “Your right hand, O Lord, has become glorious in power;
Your right hand, O Lord, has dashed the enemy in pieces.
7 And in the greatness of Your excellence
You have overthrown those who rose against You;
You sent forth Your wrath;
It consumed them like stubble.
8 And with the blast of Your nostrils
The waters were gathered together;
The floods stood upright like a heap;
The depths congealed in the heart of the sea.
9 The enemy said, ‘I will pursue,
I will overtake,
I will divide the spoil;
My desire shall be satisfied on them.
I will draw my sword,
My hand shall destroy them.’
10 You blew with Your wind,
The sea covered them;
They sank like lead in the mighty waters.
11 “Who is like You, O Lord, among the gods?
Who is like You, glorious in holiness,
Fearful in praises, doing wonders?
12 You stretched out Your right hand;
The earth swallowed them.
13 You in Your mercy have led forth
The people whom You have redeemed;
You have guided them in Your strength
To Your holy habitation.
14 “The people will hear and be afraid;
Sorrow will take hold of the inhabitants of Philistia.
15 Then the chiefs of Edom will be dismayed;
The mighty men of Moab,
Trembling will take hold of them;
All the inhabitants of Canaan will melt away.
16 Fear and dread will fall on them;
By the greatness of Your arm
They will be as still as a stone,
Till Your people pass over, O Lord,
Till the people pass over
Whom You have purchased.
17 You will bring them in and plant them
In the mountain of Your inheritance,
In the place, O Lord, which You have made
For Your own dwelling,
The sanctuary, O Lord, which Your hands have established.
18 “The Lord shall reign forever and ever.”
19 For the horses of Pharaoh went with his chariots and his horsemen into the sea, and the Lord brought back the waters of the sea upon them. But the children of Israel went on dry land in the midst of the sea.
The Song of Miriam
20 Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took the timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances. 21 And Miriam answered them:
“Sing to the Lord,
For He has triumphed gloriously!
The horse and its rider
He has thrown into the sea!”
Bitter Waters Made Sweet
22 So Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea; then they went out into the Wilderness of Shur. And they went three days in the wilderness and found no water. 23 Now when they came to Marah, they could not drink the waters of Marah, for they were bitter. Therefore the name of it was called Marah. 24 And the people complained against Moses, saying, “What shall we drink?” 25 So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet.
There He made a statute and an ordinance for them, and there He tested them, 26 and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.”
27 Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve wells of water and seventy palm trees; so they camped there by the waters.
Bread from Heaven
16 And they journeyed from Elim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came to the Wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they departed from the land of Egypt. 2 Then the whole congregation of the children of Israel complained against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness. 3 And the children of Israel said to them, “Oh, that we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat and when we ate bread to the full! For you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger.”
4 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you. And the people shall go out and gather a certain quota every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in My law or not. 5 And it shall be on the sixth day that they shall prepare what they bring in, and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily.”
6 Then Moses and Aaron said to all the children of Israel, “At evening you shall know that the Lord has brought you out of the land of Egypt. 7 And in the morning you shall see the glory of the Lord; for He hears your complaints against the Lord. But what are we, that you complain against us?” 8 Also Moses said, “This shall be seen when the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening, and in the morning bread to the full; for the Lord hears your complaints which you make against Him. And what are we? Your complaints are not against us but against the Lord.”
9 Then Moses spoke to Aaron, “Say to all the congregation of the children of Israel, ‘Come near before the Lord, for He has heard your complaints.’ ” 10 Now it came to pass, as Aaron spoke to the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they looked toward the wilderness, and behold, the glory of the Lord appeared in the cloud.
11 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 12 “I have heard the complaints of the children of Israel. Speak to them, saying, ‘At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. And you shall know that I am the Lord your God.’ ”
13 So it was that quail came up at evening and covered the camp, and in the morning the dew lay all around the camp. 14 And when the layer of dew lifted, there, on the surface of the wilderness, was a small round substance, as fine as frost on the ground. 15 So when the children of Israel saw it, they said to one another, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was.
And Moses said to them, “This is the bread which the Lord has given you to eat. 16 This is the thing which the Lord has commanded: ‘Let every man gather it according to each one’s need, one omer for each person, according to the number of persons; let every man take for those who are in his tent.’ ”
17 Then the children of Israel did so and gathered, some more, some less. 18 So when they measured it by omers, he who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack. Every man had gathered according to each one’s need. 19 And Moses said, “Let no one leave any of it till morning.” 20 Notwithstanding they did not heed Moses. But some of them left part of it until morning, and it bred worms and stank. And Moses was angry with them. 21 So they gathered it every morning, every man according to his need. And when the sun became hot, it melted.
22 And so it was, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. 23 Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” 24 So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. 25 Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the Lord; today you will not find it in the field. 26 Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
27 Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. 28 And the Lord said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? 29 See! For the Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.
31 And the house of Israel called its name Manna. And it was like white coriander seed, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.
32 Then Moses said, “This is the thing which the Lord has commanded: ‘Fill an omer with it, to be kept for your generations, that they may see the bread with which I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you out of the land of Egypt.’ ” 33 And Moses said to Aaron, “Take a pot and put an omer of manna in it, and lay it up before the Lord, to be kept for your generations.” 34 As the Lord commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept. 35 And the children of Israel ate manna forty years, until they came to an inhabited land; they ate manna until they came to the border of the land of Canaan. 36 Now an omer is one-tenth of an ephah.
Footnotes
Exodus 15:8 became firm
Exodus 15:11 mighty ones
Exodus 15:14 Anguish
Exodus 15:23 Lit. Bitter
Exodus 15:25 regulation
Exodus 16:4 Lit. the portion of a day in its day
Exodus 16:20 listen to
Exodus 16:31 Lit. What? Ex. 16:15
Éxodo 15-16
Reina Valera Actualizada
Cántico al SEÑOR por la liberación
15 Entonces Moisés y los hijos de Israel cantaron este cántico al SEÑOR, diciendo:
“¡Cantaré al SEÑOR,
pues se ha enaltecido grandemente!
¡Arrojó al mar al caballo y su jinete!
2 El SEÑOR es mi fortaleza y mi canción; él ha sido mi salvación.
¡Este es mi Dios! Yo lo alabaré. ¡El Dios de mi padre! A él ensalzaré.
3 “El SEÑOR es un guerrero.
¡El SEÑOR es su nombre!
4 Ha echado al mar los carros
y al ejército del faraón.
Fueron hundidos en el mar Rojo sus mejores oficiales.
5 Las aguas profundas los cubrieron; descendieron como piedra
a las profundidades.
6 “Tu diestra, oh SEÑOR,
ha sido majestuosa en poder;
tu diestra, oh SEÑOR,
ha quebrantado al enemigo.
7 Con la grandeza de tu poder has destruido a los que se opusieron a ti; desataste tu furor,
y los consumió como a hojarasca.
8 Por el soplo de tu aliento
se amontonaron las aguas;
las olas se acumularon como un dique;
las aguas profundas se congelaron
en medio del mar.
9 Dijo el enemigo: ‘Perseguiré,
tomaré prisioneros y repartiré el botín;
mi alma se saciará de ellos;
desenvainaré mi espada,
y mi mano los desalojará’.
10 Pero tú soplaste con tu aliento,
y el mar los cubrió.
Se hundieron como plomo
en las impetuosas aguas.
11 “¿Quién como tú, oh SEÑOR, entre los dioses?
¿Quién como tú,
majestuoso en santidad,
temible en hazañas dignas de alabanza, hacedor de maravillas?
12 Extendiste tu diestra,
y la tierra los tragó.
13 En tu misericordia guías a este pueblo que has redimido,
y lo llevas con tu poder
a tu santa morada.
14 “Los pueblos lo oyen y tiemblan;
la angustia se apodera de los filisteos.
15 Entonces los jefes de Edom se aterran; los poderosos de Moab son
presas del pánico;
se abaten todos los habitantes
de Canaán.
16 Sobre ellos caen terror y espanto;
ante la grandeza de tu brazo
enmudecen como la piedra, hasta que haya pasado tu pueblo,
oh SEÑOR;
hasta que haya pasado este pueblo que tú has adquirido.
17 Tú los introducirás y los plantarás
en el monte de tu heredad,
en el lugar que has preparado como tu habitación, oh SEÑOR,
en el santuario que establecieron tus manos, oh SEÑOR.
18 El SEÑOR reinará por siempre jamás”.
19 Cuando la caballería del faraón entró en el mar con sus carros y jinetes, el SEÑOR hizo volver las aguas del mar sobre ellos, mientras que los hijos de Israel caminaron en seco en medio del mar. 20 Entonces María la profetisa, hermana de Aarón, tomó un pandero en su mano, y todas las mujeres salieron en pos de ella con panderos y danzas. 21 Y María las dirigía diciendo:
“¡Canten al SEÑOR,
pues se ha enaltecido grandemente! ¡Ha arrojado al mar caballos y jinetes!”.
Las aguas de Mara son hechas dulces
22 Moisés hizo que Israel partiera del mar Rojo, y ellos se dirigieron al desierto de Shur. Caminaron tres días por el desierto, sin hallar agua, 23 y llegaron a Mara. Pero no pudieron beber las aguas de Mara, porque eran amargas. Por eso pusieron al lugar el nombre de Mara . 24 Entonces el pueblo murmuró contra Moisés diciendo:
—¿Qué hemos de beber?
25 Moisés clamó al SEÑOR, y el SEÑOR le mostró un árbol. Cuando él arrojó el árbol dentro de las aguas, las aguas se volvieron dulces. Allí dio al pueblo leyes y decretos. Allí lo probó 26 diciéndole:
—Si escuchas atentamente la voz del SEÑOR tu Dios y haces lo recto ante sus ojos; si prestas atención a sus mandamientos y guardas todas sus leyes, ninguna enfermedad de las que envié a Egipto te enviaré a ti, porque yo soy el SEÑOR tu sanador.
El SEÑOR envía codornices y maná
27 Llegaron a Elim, donde había doce manantiales de agua y setenta palmeras, y acamparon allí junto a las aguas.
16 Toda la congregación de los hijos de Israel partió de Elim y llegó al desierto de Sin, que está entre Elim y Sinaí, el día quince del mes segundo después de salir de la tierra de Egipto. 2 Entonces toda la congregación de los hijos de Israel murmuró contra Moisés y Aarón en el desierto. 3 Los hijos de Israel les decían:
—¡Ojalá el SEÑOR nos hubiera hecho morir en la tierra de Egipto, cuando nos sentábamos junto a las ollas de carne, cuando comíamos pan hasta saciarnos! Nos han sacado a este desierto para matar de hambre a toda esta multitud.
4 Entonces el SEÑOR dijo a Moisés:
—He aquí, yo haré llover para ustedes pan del cielo. El pueblo saldrá y recogerá diariamente la porción de cada día; así lo pondré a prueba, si anda en mi ley o no. 5 Pero en el sexto día prepararán lo que han de llevar, que será el doble de lo que recogen cada día.
6 Moisés y Aarón dijeron a todos los hijos de Israel:
—Al atardecer sabrán que el SEÑOR los ha sacado de la tierra de Egipto. 7 Y al amanecer verán la gloria del SEÑOR, porque él ha oído sus murmuraciones contra el SEÑOR. Pues, ¿qué somos nosotros para que murmuren contra nosotros? 8 —Agregó Moisés—: El SEÑOR les dará al atardecer carne para comer y al amanecer pan hasta saciarse, porque el SEÑOR ha oído las murmuraciones de ustedes contra él. Pues, ¿qué somos nosotros? Sus murmuraciones no son contra nosotros, sino contra el SEÑOR.
9 Moisés dijo a Aarón:
—Di a toda la congregación de los hijos de Israel: “Acérquense a la presencia del SEÑOR, pues él ha oído sus murmuraciones”.
10 Y sucedió que mientras Aarón hablaba a toda la congregación de Israel, miraron hacia el desierto; y he aquí, la gloria del SEÑOR se apareció en la nube. 11 Y el SEÑOR habló a Moisés diciendo:
12 —Yo he oído las murmuraciones de los hijos de Israel. Háblales diciendo: “Al atardecer comerán carne, y al amanecer se saciarán de pan, y sabrán que yo soy el SEÑOR su Dios”.
13 Al atardecer vinieron las codornices y cubrieron el campamento. Y al amanecer había una capa de rocío alrededor del campamento. 14 Cuando se evaporó la capa de rocío, he aquí que sobre la superficie del desierto había una sustancia menuda, escamosa y fina como la escarcha sobre la tierra. 15 Al verla, los hijos de Israel se preguntaron unos a otros:
—¿Qué es esto? .
Pues no sabían lo que era. Entonces Moisés les dijo:
—Es el pan que el SEÑOR les da para comer. 16 Esto es lo que el SEÑOR ha mandado: “Recojan de ello cada uno según lo que necesite para comer: como dos kilos por persona. Cada uno recogerá según el número de las personas que están en su tienda”.
17 Así lo hicieron los hijos de Israel. Unos recogieron más, y otros menos. 18 Midieron como dos kilos, y al que recogió mucho no le sobró, y al que recogió poco no le faltó. Cada uno recogió según lo que necesitaba para comer. 19 Y Moisés les dijo:
—Ninguno guarde nada de ello hasta el día siguiente.
20 Pero no obedecieron a Moisés, sino que algunos guardaron algo para el día siguiente; pero crió gusanos y hedió. Y Moisés se enojó contra ellos. 21 Lo recogían cada mañana, cada uno según lo que necesitaba para comer; y cuando el sol calentaba, se derretía. 22 En el sexto día recogieron doble porción de comida: como cuatro kilos para cada uno. Todos los principales de la congregación fueron a Moisés y se lo hicieron saber. 23 Y él les dijo:
—Esto es lo que ha dicho el SEÑOR: “Mañana es sábado de reposo, el sábado consagrado al SEÑOR. Lo que tengan que cocer al horno, cuézanlo hoy; y lo que tengan que cocinar, cocínenlo. Y todo lo que sobre, déjenlo a un lado y guárdenlo para la mañana”.
24 Ellos lo guardaron para la mañana, según lo había mandado Moisés, y no hedió ni crió gusanos. 25 Y dijo Moisés:
—Cómanlo hoy, porque es el sábado del SEÑOR. Hoy no lo hallarán en el campo. 26 Seis días lo recogerán; pero el séptimo día es sábado, en el cual no será hallado.
27 Aconteció que algunos del pueblo salieron para recoger en el séptimo día, y no hallaron nada. 28 Y el SEÑOR dijo a Moisés:
—¿Hasta cuándo rehusarán guardar mis mandamientos y mis instrucciones? 29 Miren que el SEÑOR les ha dado el sábado, y por eso en el sexto día les da pan para dos días. Permanezca cada uno en su lugar; nadie salga de allí en el séptimo día.
30 Así reposó el pueblo el séptimo día.
El maná conservado como señal
31 La casa de Israel lo llamó “maná” . Era como semilla de cilantro, blanco; y su sabor era como de galletas con miel. 32 Moisés dijo:
—Esto es lo que el SEÑOR ha mandado: “Llenen como dos kilos de maná para que sea conservado para sus generaciones, a fin de que ellas vean el pan que les di a comer en el desierto, cuando los saqué de la tierra de Egipto”.
33 Moisés también dijo a Aarón:
—Toma una vasija y pon en ella como dos kilos de maná; colócala delante del SEÑOR, para que sea conservado para las generaciones de ustedes.
34 Y Aarón lo puso delante del Testimonio, para que fuera conservado, como el SEÑOR había mandado a Moisés.
35 Los hijos de Israel comieron el maná durante cuarenta años, hasta que llegaron a tierra habitada. Comieron maná hasta que llegaron a la frontera de la tierra de Canaán. 36 (La medida llamada “gomer” era como dos kilos, a su vez era la décima parte de la medida que llamaban “efa” .
Footnotes
Éxodo 15:2 Lit., Yah, forma abreviada del nombre de Dios YHWH, que en esta versión traducimos como “SEÑOR”.
Éxodo 15:23 Significa amarga.
Éxodo 16:1 Aprox. abr.-may.
Éxodo 16:15 Heb., man, de donde viene el vocablo maná; cf. Éxo. 16:31.
Éxodo 16:31 Cf. Éxo. 16:15.