Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Testament Bible Reading 08-28-2023

Old Testament Bible Reading 08-28-2023
Esther 5-6
New King James Version
Esther’s Banquet
5 Now it happened on the third day that Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the king’s palace, across from the king’s house, while the king sat on his royal throne in the royal house, facing the entrance of the house. 2 So it was, when the king saw Queen Esther standing in the court, that she found favor in his sight, and the king held out to Esther the golden scepter that was in his hand. Then Esther went near and touched the top of the scepter.
3 And the king said to her, “What do you wish, Queen Esther? What is your request? It shall be given to you—up to half the kingdom!”
4 So Esther answered, “If it pleases the king, let the king and Haman come today to the banquet that I have prepared for him.”
5 Then the king said, “Bring Haman quickly, that he may do as Esther has said.” So the king and Haman went to the banquet that Esther had prepared.
6 At the banquet of wine the king said to Esther, “What is your petition? It shall be granted you. What is your request, up to half the kingdom? It shall be done!”
7 Then Esther answered and said, “My petition and request is this: 8 If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it pleases the king to grant my petition and fulfill my request, then let the king and Haman come to the banquet which I will prepare for them, and tomorrow I will do as the king has said.”
Haman’s Plot Against Mordecai
9 So Haman went out that day joyful and with a glad heart; but when Haman saw Mordecai in the king’s gate, and that he did not stand or tremble before him, he was filled with indignation against Mordecai. 10 Nevertheless Haman restrained himself and went home, and he sent and called for his friends and his wife Zeresh. 11 Then Haman told them of his great riches, the multitude of his children, everything in which the king had promoted him, and how he had advanced him above the officials and servants of the king.
12 Moreover Haman said, “Besides, Queen Esther invited no one but me to come in with the king to the banquet that she prepared; and tomorrow I am again invited by her, along with the king. 13 Yet all this avails me nothing, so long as I see Mordecai the Jew sitting at the king’s gate.”
14 Then his wife Zeresh and all his friends said to him, “Let a gallows be made, fifty cubits high, and in the morning suggest to the king that Mordecai be hanged on it; then go merrily with the king to the banquet.”
And the thing pleased Haman; so he had the gallows made.
The King Honors Mordecai
6 That night the king could not sleep. So one was commanded to bring the book of the records of the chronicles; and they were read before the king. 2 And it was found written that Mordecai had told of Bigthana and Teresh, two of the king’s eunuchs, the doorkeepers who had sought to lay hands on King Ahasuerus. 3 Then the king said, “What honor or dignity has been bestowed on Mordecai for this?”
And the king’s servants who attended him said, “Nothing has been done for him.”
4 So the king said, “Who is in the court?” Now Haman had just entered the outer court of the king’s palace to suggest that the king hang Mordecai on the gallows that he had prepared for him.
5 The king’s servants said to him, “Haman is there, standing in the court.”
And the king said, “Let him come in.”
6 So Haman came in, and the king asked him, “What shall be done for the man whom the king delights to honor?”
Now Haman thought in his heart, “Whom would the king delight to honor more than me?” 7 And Haman answered the king, “For the man whom the king delights to honor, 8 let a royal robe be brought which the king has worn, and a horse on which the king has ridden, which has a royal crest placed on its head. 9 Then let this robe and horse be delivered to the hand of one of the king’s most noble princes, that he may array the man whom the king delights to honor. Then parade him on horseback through the city square, and proclaim before him: ‘Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor!’ ”
10 Then the king said to Haman, “Hurry, take the robe and the horse, as you have suggested, and do so for Mordecai the Jew who sits within the king’s gate! Leave nothing undone of all that you have spoken.”
11 So Haman took the robe and the horse, arrayed Mordecai and led him on horseback through the city square, and proclaimed before him, “Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor!”
12 Afterward Mordecai went back to the king’s gate. But Haman hurried to his house, mourning and with his head covered. 13 When Haman told his wife Zeresh and all his friends everything that had happened to him, his wise men and his wife Zeresh said to him, “If Mordecai, before whom you have begun to fall, is of Jewish descent, you will not prevail against him but will surely fall before him.”
14 While they were still talking with him, the king’s eunuchs came, and hastened to bring Haman to the banquet which Esther had prepared.
Footnotes
Esther 5:1 LXX adds many extra details in vv. 1, 2
Esther 5:8 Lit. to do
Esther 5:14 Lit. tree or wood
Esther 5:14 About 75 feet
Esther 6:1 Lit. the king’s sleep fled away
Esther 6:2 Bigthan, Esth. 2:21
Esther 6:8 crown
Esther 6:9 Lit. cause him to ride
Ester 5-6
Reina Valera Actualizada
Ester acude al rey
5 Aconteció al tercer día que Ester se vistió con su vestido real y se puso de pie en el patio interior de la casa del rey, frente a la sala real. El rey estaba sentado en su trono real en la sala real, ante la puerta de la sala. 2 Y sucedió que cuando el rey vio a la reina Ester de pie en el patio, ella obtuvo gracia ante sus ojos. El rey extendió hacia Ester el cetro de oro que tenía en su mano, y Ester se acercó y tocó la punta del cetro. 3 Entonces el rey le preguntó:
—¿Qué tienes, reina Ester? ¿Cuál es tu petición? ¡Hasta la mitad del reino te será dada!
4 Ester respondió:
—Si a su majestad le parece bien, venga hoy el rey con Amán al banquete que le he preparado.
5 Y el rey dijo:
—¡Dense prisa y llamen a Amán para hacer lo que ha dicho Ester!
Fueron, pues, el rey y Amán al banquete que Ester había preparado. 6 Y mientras bebían el vino, el rey preguntó a Ester:
—¿Cuál es tu petición? Te será dada. ¿Qué es lo que solicitas? ¡Hasta la mitad del reino te será concedida!
7 Entonces Ester respondió y dijo:
—Mi petición y solicitud es esta: 8 Si he hallado gracia ante los ojos del rey, y si al rey le parece bien conceder mi petición y hacer lo que solicito, que venga el rey con Amán al banquete que les he de hacer; y mañana haré conforme a la palabra del rey.
Amán planea asesinar a Mardoqueo
9 Aquel día Amán salió alegre y contento de corazón. Pero cuando Amán vio a Mardoqueo en la puerta real y que no se levantaba ni temblaba delante de él, se llenó de ira contra Mardoqueo. 10 Sin embargo, Amán se contuvo y se fue a su casa. Entonces envió llamar a sus amigos y a Zeres, su mujer. 11 Y Amán empezó a referirles la gloria de sus riquezas, la multitud de sus hijos, todo con que lo había engrandecido el rey, y cómo lo había enaltecido sobre los magistrados y los servidores del rey. 12 Y Amán añadió:
—También la reina Ester a ninguno hizo que viniera con el rey al banquete que dio, sino solo a mí. Además, para mañana yo seré su invitado junto con el rey. 13 Pero todo esto de nada me sirve cada vez que veo al judío Mardoqueo sentado junto a la puerta real.
14 Entonces Zeres, su mujer, y todos sus amigos le dijeron:
—Que se haga una horca de veinticinco metros de alto, y por la mañana dile al rey que cuelguen en ella a Mardoqueo. Y entra alegre con el rey al banquete.
La idea agradó a Amán e hizo preparar la horca.
Amán es humillado ante Mardoqueo
6 Aquella noche se le fue el sueño al rey, y pidió que le trajeran el libro de las memorias o crónicas; y fueron leídas delante del rey. 2 Y se halló escrito en él que Mardoqueo había declarado contra Bigtán y Teres, dos eunucos del rey, guardias de la puerta, que habían conspirado para quitar la vida al rey Asuero. 3 Luego el rey preguntó:
—¿Qué honra o qué distinción se le hizo a Mardoqueo por esto?
Y los servidores que servían al rey le respondieron:
—Nada se ha hecho por él.
4 Entonces preguntó el rey:
—¿Quién está en el patio?
Amán había entrado al patio exterior del palacio real para pedir al rey que hiciera colgar a Mardoqueo en la horca que tenía preparada para él. 5 Y los servidores del rey le respondieron:
—He aquí, Amán está en el patio.
Y el rey dijo:
—Que entre.
6 Amán entró, y el rey le preguntó:
—¿Qué se hará al hombre a quien el rey desea honrar?
Amán pensó en su corazón: “¿A quién más deseará honrar el rey sino a mí?”. 7 Entonces Amán respondió al rey:
—Para el hombre a quien el rey desea honrar, 8 que traigan la vestidura real con que se haya vestido el rey, y el caballo en que haya cabalgado el rey y pónganle una corona real sobre su cabeza. 9 Que entreguen la vestidura y el caballo por medio de alguno de los oficiales más nobles del rey, y que vistan a aquel hombre a quien el rey desea honrar. Haz que lo paseen a caballo por la plaza de la ciudad y proclamen delante de él: “¡Así se hace con el hombre a quien el rey desea honrar!”.
10 Entonces el rey dijo a Amán:
—¡Date prisa, toma la vestidura y el caballo, como has dicho, y haz eso con el judío Mardoqueo que se sienta junto a la puerta real. No omitas nada de todo lo que has dicho.
11 Entonces Amán tomó la vestidura y el caballo, vistió a Mardoqueo y lo paseó a caballo por la plaza de la ciudad, proclamando delante de él:
—¡Así se hace con el hombre a quien el rey desea honrar!
12 Luego Mardoqueo volvió a la puerta real, y Amán regresó de prisa a su casa apesadumbrado y con la cabeza cubierta. 13 Amán contó a Zeres, su mujer, y a todos sus amigos todo lo que le había acontecido. Entonces, sus sabios y su mujer le dijeron:
—Si Mardoqueo, delante de quien has comenzado a caer, es de la descendencia de los judíos, no lo vencerás. ¡De hecho caerás delante de él!
14 Aún estaban ellos hablando con él cuando llegaron los eunucos del rey, y se apresuraron a llevar a Amán al banquete que Ester había preparado.