Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Testament Bible Reading 09-18-2023

New Testament Bible Reading 09-18-2023
John 20-21
New King James Version
The Empty Tomb
20 Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.”
3 Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb. 4 So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first. 5 And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. 9 For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. 10 Then the disciples went away again to their own homes.
Mary Magdalene Sees the Risen Lord
11 But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 Then they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?”
She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.”
14 Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”
She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.”
16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!”
She turned and said to Him, “Rabboni!” (which is to say, Teacher).
17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ”
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her.
The Apostles Commissioned
19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
Seeing and Believing
24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
That You May Believe
30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
Breakfast by the Sea
21 After these things Jesus showed Himself again to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias, and in this way He showed Himself: 2 Simon Peter, Thomas called the Twin, Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two others of His disciples were together. 3 Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.”
They said to him, “We are going with you also.” They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing. 4 But when the morning had now come, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. 5 Then Jesus said to them, “Children, have you any food?”
They answered Him, “No.”
6 And He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.
7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment (for he had removed it), and plunged into the sea. 8 But the other disciples came in the little boat (for they were not far from land, but about two hundred cubits), dragging the net with fish. 9 Then, as soon as they had come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid on it, and bread. 10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish which you have just caught.”
11 Simon Peter went up and dragged the net to land, full of large fish, one hundred and fifty-three; and although there were so many, the net was not broken. 12 Jesus said to them, “Come and eat breakfast.” Yet none of the disciples dared ask Him, “Who are You?”—knowing that it was the Lord. 13 Jesus then came and took the bread and gave it to them, and likewise the fish.
14 This is now the third time Jesus showed Himself to His disciples after He was raised from the dead.
Jesus Restores Peter
15 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”
16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Tend My sheep.”
17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”
And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep. 18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” 19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”
The Beloved Disciple and His Book
20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”
22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”
24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.
25 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.
Footnotes
John 20:7 face cloth
John 20:9 understand
John 20:16 NU adds in Hebrew
John 20:18 NU disciples, “I have seen the Lord,”
John 20:19 NU omits assembled
John 20:29 NU, M omit Thomas
John 21:3 NU omits immediately
John 21:15 NU John
John 21:15 have affection for
John 21:16 NU John
John 21:16 have affection for
John 21:17 NU John
John 21:17 have affection for
John 21:22 desire
Juan 20-21
Reina Valera Actualizada
La resurrección de Jesús
20 El primer día de la semana, muy de madrugada, siendo aún oscuro, María Magdalena fue al sepulcro y vio que la piedra había sido quitada del sepulcro. 2 Entonces corrió y fue a Simón Pedro y al otro discípulo a quien amaba Jesús, y les dijo:
—Han sacado al Señor del sepulcro y no sabemos dónde lo han puesto.
3 Salieron, pues, Pedro y el otro discípulo e iban al sepulcro. 4 Y los dos corrían juntos, pero el otro discípulo corrió más rápidamente que Pedro y llegó primero al sepulcro. 5 Y cuando se inclinó, vio que los lienzos habían quedado allí; sin embargo, no entró.
6 Entonces llegó Simón Pedro siguiéndolo y entró en el sepulcro. Y vio los lienzos que habían quedado, 7 y el sudario que había estado sobre su cabeza no puesto con los lienzos sino doblado en un lugar aparte. 8 Entonces entró también el otro discípulo que había llegado primero al sepulcro, y vio y creyó. 9 Pues aún no entendían la Escritura, que le era necesario resucitar de entre los muertos. 10 Entonces los discípulos volvieron a los suyos.
Jesús aparece a María Magdalena
11 Pero María Magdalena estaba llorando fuera del sepulcro. Mientras lloraba, se inclinó hacia dentro del sepulcro 12 y vio a dos ángeles con vestiduras blancas que estaban sentados, el uno a la cabecera y el otro a los pies donde había sido puesto el cuerpo de Jesús. 13 Y ellos le dijeron:
—Mujer, ¿por qué lloras?
Les dijo:
—Porque se han llevado a mi Señor y no sé dónde lo han puesto.
14 Habiendo dicho esto, se volvió hacia atrás y vio a Jesús de pie; pero no se daba cuenta de que era Jesús.
15 Jesús le dijo:
—Mujer, ¿por qué lloras? ¿A quién buscas?
Ella, pensando que él era el jardinero, le dijo:
—Señor, si tú lo has llevado, dime dónde lo has puesto y yo lo llevaré.
16 Jesús le dijo:
—María…
Volviéndose ella, le dijo en hebreo:
—¡Raboni! (que quiere decir Maestro).
17 Jesús le dijo:
—Suéltame porque aún no he subido al Padre. Pero ve a mis hermanos y diles: “Yo subo a mi Padre y Padre de ustedes, a mi Dios y Dios de ustedes”.
18 María Magdalena fue a dar las noticias a los discípulos:
—¡He visto al Señor!
También les contó que él le había dicho estas cosas.
Jesús aparece a sus discípulos
19 Al anochecer de aquel día, el primero de la semana, y estando las puertas cerradas en el lugar donde los discípulos se reunían por miedo a los judíos, Jesús entró, se puso en medio de ellos y les dijo: “¡Paz a ustedes!”. 20 Habiendo dicho esto, les mostró las manos y el costado. Los discípulos se regocijaron cuando vieron al Señor. 21 Entonces Jesús les dijo otra vez: “¡Paz a ustedes! Como me ha enviado el Padre, así también yo los envío a ustedes”.
22 Habiendo dicho esto, sopló y les dijo: “Reciban el Espíritu Santo. 23 A los que remitan los pecados, les han sido remitidos; y a quienes se los retengan, les han sido retenidos”.
Jesús convence a Tomás
24 Pero Tomás, llamado Dídimo, uno de los doce, no estaba con ellos cuando vino Jesús. 25 Entonces los otros discípulos le decían:
—¡Hemos visto al Señor!
Pero él les dijo:
—Si yo no veo en sus manos la marca de los clavos, y si no meto mi dedo en la marca de los clavos y si no meto mi mano en su costado, no creeré jamás.
26 Ocho días después, sus discípulos estaban adentro otra vez y Tomás estaba con ellos. Y aunque las puertas estaban cerradas, Jesús entró, se puso en medio y dijo:
—¡Paz a ustedes!
27 Luego dijo a Tomás:
—Pon tu dedo aquí y mira mis manos, pon acá tu mano y métela en mi costado, y no seas incrédulo sino creyente.
28 Entonces Tomás respondió y le dijo:
—¡Señor mío y Dios mío!
29 Jesús le dijo:
—¿Porque me has visto, has creído? . ¡Bienaventurados los que no ven y creen!
El propósito de este libro
30 Por cierto, Jesús hizo muchas otras señales en presencia de sus discípulos las cuales no están escritas en este libro. 31 Pero estas cosas han sido escritas para que ustedes crean que Jesús es el Cristo, el Hijo de Dios, y para que creyendo tengan vida en su nombre.
Jesús aparece a los suyos en Galilea
21 Después de esto, Jesús se manifestó otra vez a sus discípulos en el mar de Tiberias. Se manifestó de esta manera: 2 Estaban juntos Simón Pedro, Tomás llamado Dídimo, Natanael que era de Caná de Galilea, los hijos de Zebedeo y otros dos de sus discípulos. 3 Simón Pedro les dijo:
—Voy a pescar.
Le dijeron:
—Vamos nosotros también contigo.
Salieron y entraron en la barca, pero aquella noche no consiguieron nada. 4 Al amanecer, Jesús se presentó en la playa, aunque los discípulos no se daban cuenta de que era Jesús. 5 Entonces Jesús les dijo:
—Hijitos, ¿no tienen nada de comer?
Le contestaron:
—No.
6 Él les dijo:
—Echen la red al lado derecho de la barca, y hallarán.
La echaron, pues, y ya no podían sacarla por la gran cantidad de peces. 7 Entonces aquel discípulo a quien Jesús amaba dijo a Pedro:
—¡Es el Señor!
Cuando Simón Pedro oyó que era el Señor, se ciñó el manto, pues se lo había quitado, y se tiró al mar. 8 Los otros discípulos llegaron con la barca, arrastrando la red con los peces porque no estaban lejos de tierra sino como a cien metros. 9 Cuando bajaron a tierra, vieron brasas puestas con pescado encima, y pan.
10 Jesús les dijo:
—Traigan de los pescados que ahora han pescado.
11 Entonces Simón Pedro subió y sacó a tierra la red llena de grandes pescados, ciento cincuenta y tres de ellos y, aunque eran tantos, la red no se rompió. 12 Jesús les dijo:
—Vengan, coman.
Ninguno de los discípulos osaba preguntarle: “Tú, ¿quién eres?”, pues sabían que era el Señor. 13 Vino, entonces, Jesús y tomó el pan y les dio; y también hizo lo mismo con el pescado. 14 Esta era ya la tercera vez que Jesús se manifestaba a sus discípulos después de haber resucitado de entre los muertos.
Jesús y Pedro
15 Cuando hubieron comido, Jesús dijo a Simón Pedro:
—Simón hijo de Jonás, ¿me amas tú más que estos?
Le dijo:
—Sí, Señor; tú sabes que te amo .
Jesús le dijo:
—Apacienta mis corderos.
16 Le volvió a decir por segunda vez:
—Simón hijo de Jonás, ¿me amas?
Le contestó:
—Sí, Señor; tú sabes que te amo .
Jesús le dijo:
—Pastorea mis ovejas.
17 Le dijo por tercera vez:
—Simón hijo de Jonás, ¿me amas ?
Pedro se entristeció de que le dijera por tercera vez: “¿Me amas ?”. Y le dijo:
—Señor, tú conoces todas las cosas. Tú sabes que te amo .
Jesús le dijo:
—Apacienta mis ovejas. 18 De cierto, de cierto te digo que cuando eras más joven, tú te ceñías e ibas a donde querías; pero cuando seas viejo extenderás las manos y te ceñirá otro y te llevará a donde no quieras.
19 Esto dijo señalando con qué muerte Pedro había de glorificar a Dios. Después de haber dicho esto le dijo:
—Sígueme.
Jesús y el discípulo amado
20 Pedro se dio vuelta y vio que les seguía el discípulo a quien Jesús amaba. Fue el mismo que se recostó sobre su pecho en la cena y le dijo: “Señor, ¿quién es el que te ha de entregar?” . 21 Así que, al verlo, Pedro le dijo a Jesús:
—Señor, ¿y qué de este?
22 Jesús le dijo:
—Si yo quiero que él quede hasta que yo venga, ¿qué tiene esto que ver contigo? Tú, sígueme.
23 Así que se difundió este dicho entre los hermanos de que aquel discípulo no habría de morir. Pero Jesús no le dijo que no moriría, sino: “Si yo quiero que él quede hasta que yo venga, ¿qué tiene que ver eso contigo?”.
24 Este es el discípulo que da testimonio de estas cosas y las escribió. Y sabemos que su testimonio es verdadero.
25 Hay también muchas otras cosas que hizo Jesús que, si se escribieran una por una, pienso que no cabrían ni aun en el mundo los libros que se habrían de escribir .
Footnotes
Juan 20:29 Otra trad., quieres.
Juan 21:15 Juan 13:25.
Juan 21:16 Algunos mss. incluyen Amén.
Juan 21:17 Cf. Luc. 1:1-4.
Juan 21:17 Cf. Luc. 3:16.
Juan 21:17 O sea, lo permitido para caminar en sábado.
Juan 21:20 Cf. Sal. 41:9.
Juan 21:25 Cf. Mat. 27:3-10.
John 20-21
Evangelical Heritage Version
The Resurrection
20 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb. She saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 So she left and ran to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved. “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb,” she told them, “and we don’t know where they put him!”
3 So Peter and the other disciple went out, heading for the tomb. 4 The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and got to the tomb first. 5 Bending over, he saw the linen cloths lying there, yet he did not go in.
6 Then Simon Peter, who was following him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there. 7 The cloth that had been on Jesus’ head was not lying with the linen cloths, but was folded up in a separate place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who arrived at the tomb first, also entered. He saw and believed. 9 (They still did not yet understand the Scripture that he must rise from the dead.)
10 Then the disciples went back to their homes.
Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene
11 But Mary stood outside facing the tomb, weeping. As she wept, she bent over, looking into the tomb. 12 She saw two angels in white clothes sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and one at the feet. 13 They asked her, “Woman, why are you weeping?”
She told them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I don’t know where they have laid him.”
14 After she said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, though she did not know it was Jesus.
15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Who are you looking for?”
Supposing he was the gardener, she replied, “Sir, if you carried him off, tell me where you laid him, and I will get him.”
16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”
She turned and replied in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means, “Teacher” .
17 Jesus told her, “Do not continue to cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father—to my God and your God.’”
18 Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord!” She also told them the things he said to her.
Behind Locked Doors
19 On the evening of that first day of the week, the disciples were together behind locked doors because of their fear of the Jews. Jesus came, stood among them, and said to them, “Peace be with you!” 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. So the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you! Just as the Father has sent me, I am also sending you.” 22 After saying this, he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 Whenever you forgive people’s sins, they are forgiven. Whenever you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”
Thomas Finally Believes
24 But Thomas, one of the Twelve, the one called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples kept telling him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands, and put my finger into the mark of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will never believe.”
26 After eight days, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at my hands. Take your hand and put it into my side. Do not continue to doubt, but believe.”
28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
The Purpose of John’s Gospel Account
30 Jesus, in the presence of his disciples, did many other miraculous signs that are not written in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Breakfast With the Lord Jesus
21 After this, Jesus showed himself again to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. This is how he showed himself: 2 Simon Peter, Thomas (called the Twin), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together. 3 Simon Peter said to them, “I’m going fishing.”
They replied, “We’ll go with you.”
They went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. 4 Early in the morning, Jesus was standing on the shore, but the disciples did not know it was Jesus.
5 Jesus called to them, “Boys, don’t you have any fish?”
“No!” they answered.
6 He told them, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” So they cast the net out. Then they were not able to haul it in because of the large number of fish.
7 The disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard, “It is the Lord!” he tied his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the sea. 8 But the other disciples came in the little boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about one hundred yards. 9 When they stepped out on land, they saw some bread and a charcoal fire with fish on it. 10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you just caught.”
11 So Simon Peter climbed aboard and hauled the net to land, full of large fish, 153 of them. Yet even with so many, the net was not torn.
12 Jesus said to them, “Come, eat breakfast.”
None of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?” because they knew it was the Lord.
13 Jesus came, took the bread, and gave it to them, and also the fish. 14 This was now the third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from the dead.
“Do You Love Me?”
15 When they had eaten breakfast, Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I care about you.”
Jesus told him, “Feed my lambs.”
16 A second time Jesus asked him, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
He said, “Yes, Lord, you know that I care about you.”
Jesus told him, “Be a shepherd for my sheep.”
17 He asked him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you care about me?”
Peter was grieved because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you care about me?” He answered, “Lord, you know all things. You know that I care about you.”
“Feed my sheep,” Jesus said. 18 “Amen, Amen, I tell you: When you were young, you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will tie you and carry you where you do not want to go.”
19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. After saying this, he told him, “Follow me.”
20 Peter turned and saw the disciple Jesus loved following them. This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and asked, “Lord, who is going to betray you?” 21 When Peter saw him, he asked Jesus, “Lord, what about him?”
22 “If I want him to remain until I come,” Jesus answered, “what is that to you? You follow me.” 23 And so it was said among the brothers that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say that he would not die, but, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?”
24 This is the disciple who is testifying about these things and who wrote these things. We know that his testimony is true.
Much More
25 Jesus also did many other things. If every one of them were written down, I suppose the world itself would not have room for the books that would be written.
Footnotes
John 20:24 Greek Didymus is the equivalent of Thomas in Hebrew/Aramaic, both meaning Twin.
John 21:15 Greek agapao
John 21:15 In verses 15-17, the uses of the Greek phileo are translated care about to distinguish from the uses of the Greek agapao,

Diana Brevan