Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MHAFB History Book

There is evidently a new book out documenting the history of MHAFB. Wonder which of us or our parents might be mentioned there?

Re: MHAFB History Book

Does the author live in Mtn Home? I read quickly over the story..GREAT!
Sure would be fantastic for him to be at the 9th Bomb Wing reunion the end of this month in Boise!

Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

I definitely want a copy. Can someone pick one up and I'll send you a check asap?

Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

Tom -

You can order it on-line from the following web site:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/index.html

or you can click on the dot near MH on the map on this page:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCHM&Store_Code=arcadia

Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

Thanks Warren!! I just ordered it for my Dad's 87th birthday. He will be thrilled since we spent most of our time at MH. Hopefully I can pry it out of Dad's hands so I can read it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

Thanks Warren!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

I ordered one today too. I was a town kid, but my Dad and a lot of the folks we knew worked on base.

I'm just glad I noticed the article in the paper.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

Just received the MHAFB book. It looks interesting. I did find somethings missing - like PHA housing. Does anyone remember - it was before Kpart. We lived on the base from 1953- 1955 in those awful houses. They looked like railroad cars and just about as big. When we came back from Japan in 1957 there was the new housing. What an improvement. I know people thought they were terrible, but they were a major improvement over the old housing. I still remember sitting with my brother Russ on the steps and a scorpion was sneaking past him, when Mom stepped on it.
The desert was so close back then.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

When we first moved to Mtn Home (the base) we lived in what they called "Brick". They were fourplexes combined to make duplexes. The Swords lived next door. Dennis & David Sword and their family.
So..the livingroom upstairs became the "den" and the kitchen upstairs was the "laundry room"
I remember going into the mountains at Christmas and cutting down a tree. When we would get it home, it was ALWAYS to tall. Karlan and I tried to talk my parents into cutting it in half..putting the bottom in the livingroom and the top upstairs (like it had grown through the floor) Never happened! =
My Dad was an Explorer Scout leader. The scouts picked up my Dad's tiny car and sat in on the front porch of the house. When Dad got ready to go to work he could not understand why the door would not open!'
Later we moved to Kpart (across from the fire dept.)
There was a sidewalk that cut through to the next street, right to the "Teentown"

I remember all the rabbits running around the housing areas at night.
Wow, flash backs!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

Good old PHA housing, we lived there about the same time. The side walks were asphalt and real hot. Stickers (Bullheads or Puncture weeds) attacked you feet and bike tires. Little box type houses with no lawns. Also lived on Palm street in the housing area by the fire Dept. Same street as the Langes and Farners. Kathi, my dad metioned yours all the time and think they went hunting alot and worked together.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MHAFB History Book

I sent Susan a pic of the house we lived in in Kpart across the street from the Officers' Club and fire dept. Also of the Brick housing from this weekend.
What rank was your Dad? Mom remembers a Willis that hunted with Dad. He went hunting with Jack Hoye and took one of our horses. They were having trouble getting the deer packed on the horse without the antlers poking the horse. They said they were going to have to cut its head off and our horse went crazy and threw his head up and knocked one of the guys out cold! They laughed about it and said they should have been more specific as to which animals head was going to get cut off!
Dad went hunting every year. I am really surprised he did not retire in Idaho. But my Grandparents lived in Texas and were getting up in years at that time.