Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lauri Uriona

Gig and I attended the funeral of Lauri (Larry) Uriona yesterday in Mtn. Home. Gloria has been traveling from Walla Walla to Mtn. Home several times this year to care for him. There were tons of people there...so many from the Basque community. Saw Jerry & Gary Bermensolon, Mark Hopkins, Diana Aguirre, and of course Gloria's cousins Rita, Julie, & JoAnn Duncan. Carolyn, if you're reading this, I got to visit with your sister Chris & her husband, and I met your younger brother. Was quite a turn-out of long-time residents. We've had quite a winter with Gig's parents this year...in & out of Mtn. Home and Boise hospitals. Glad summer is finally here!!!

Re: Lauri Uriona

Ooops....typo on the Bermensolo name!

Lauri Uriona

I just got back from Arizona when I heard that Larry had passed away. I've known Larry for as long as I can remember. I missed his funeral and I missed seeing all the fine people he was close to. A few years ago I worked on a construction crew right across the street from Larry's home. He would come over and visit sometimes. He always wore a red Christabol Construction cap and he always had a big smile. Larry worked construction, in his youth, and he was a fine equipment operator, according to old Jess. These two sturdy old Basque, Larry and old Jess, were good friends and their boys, Jessy and Philip were best friends. Three of that four are gone now. Only Gloria's little brother Philip is still with us. Larry always wore that red cap at a rakish angle, he always had a spring in his step, a smile and a wave for everyone he met. I can almost hear the laughter and good times as old Jess shows Larry around, in heaven right now. I hope those boys don't get to having such a good time that they forget who we are when we get there. Life is good.

Re: Lauri Uriona

Thanks, Betty, Lauri will be missed, for sure. He would have gotten such a kick out of being the reason for so many folks getting together! Wish we could have attended Lauri's farewell on Friday. He was a warm, happy Mtn. Home personality. Ironically, Kris, John and I had planned to visit him this week. We will be in Mtn. Home beginning the 20th for a "Mellen" family reunion at the Hampton Inn. Hope Gig's parents are doing better and that you'll have a restful summer with no scary anniversary trips to Europe!
Carolyn

Re: Re: Lauri Uriona

Carolyn, Wish we could see you while you're here, especially since you couldn't make the reunion. We'll be out of town this week-end, but you're probably going to be too busy anyway with the reunion. Was your mom a "Mellen"? We weren't sure of the connection. Next time you visit this area, give us a call...we don't go places often but we've missed both of Susan's visits...poor timing. No scary trips abroad this year or probably ever...sticking with the good ol' Northwest! Susan, congrats on your son's graduation...he's a nice lookin' guy.

Re: Re: Re: Lauri Uriona

Hi Betty, My grandmother on my father's side was a Mellen (Lottie Mellen Rowett.) She and my grandfather owned and operated the Mellen hotel until his death. My father operated Rowett Jewelry in the Mellen hotel also. You're right, it was a busy reunion, packed full. It would have been such a treat to see you, for sure! The underpass was new to us, and the road change in front of the Mellen hotel was interesting. We looked for the Hungry Onion, but it was only a shell. I was surprised that the Legion Hall still needs a good air conditioner--maybe by the next reunion!? Our Jr. High is now named Hacker(sp?) Middle School. The current owner of the house on 4th street where I lived from birth-nine invited us in to see it! It had been well maintained and had changed very little. Loved & enjoyed being in Mtn. Home. There's no place like home. Amazing how just the smell of the sagebrush took me back. Sigh. Bruce says "hi" to Gig! (Me, too!) Carolyn