Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hail storm damage picture on the main page

I'm reliably told that if your car has dents from a hail storm, you can get some of the dents out by parking it in the direct sun on a real hot day and when the metal is as hot as it gets, put a chunk of dry ice on each dent and they will pop back out.

Let me know if it works. Maybe Moose or others with more experience fixing cars can comment on this technique.

Re: Hail storm damage picture on the main page

Turns out I will be working at Classic Auto Body in Mountain Home, possibly this week. Trouble and I were down in St George a couple of weeks ago and she got into a circular intersection, like the kind they have in Europe. Being from Idaho, she got confused and stopped. We were fine until she started to back up. She caved in the back of her car on this big truck behind her. I installed some windows in a rental for the owner of Classic Auto Body on Monday, as payment, and he is supposed to help me bang out the dent and paint it. I'll ask about he dry ice.

Re: Re: Hail storm damage picture on the main page

Nick would be really happy if it works. Does it have to be dry heat? I just traveled across country with him (over 80 not 70, he won't go back to Kansas)LOL. He is now installed in an apartment and started work on Monday. I just arrived back in Aurora today. He is now living in Allentown, PA and working for Air Products. So whatever heat he has will be really humid. I hate humidity. I'm glad to be back in the dry heat of CO.
Moose, let me know if you think it would work.

Hail storm damage picture on the main page

Sorry, Susan. I wasn't even finished asking the question about the hail damage when Bruce said, "It won't work." I made noises that sounded like, "But, but, but..." So, do we write this up as a urban legend or a rural legend? Well, we knocked the dents out of that ruthless woman's car and she is back on the road.

Re: Hail storm damage picture on the main page

What did he say about using a blowtorch and a cryo-freezer? Think that will work?

Re: Re: Hail storm damage picture on the main page

Darn,
We had breakfast one morning in a diner that overlooked his car and the roof is so dented, as is the hood. Too bad, other than the hail damage, it runs like a champ.