Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who is she?

Carolyn,
All I have is a first name Cheryl. Anyone remember her last name?

Re: Re: Who is she?

Thank you, Susan! I remember her, but couldn't think of her name. There was a "rival" Brownie troop, too! Betty Black, Majorie Hammer, Margaret Kniefel, Sue Covey, Helen Beasley, Brenda Kessel, me and probably others. Not sure if Kathy Burtner was a Brownie, but know that she was in our Girl Scout troop later on. Mrs. Kniefel was our leader and I think Mrs. Covey & my mom helped, too. Bet our troop sold more cookies than your troop :) ! (Did Brownies sell cookies?!)

Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

Yes, I was in Brownies. I can't remember if I was in Brownies in town, but I know I was when we lived on the base. I remember selling cookies door to door.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

Remember camp? I vaguely do...our "tent" had a wooden floor and wood walls about 3 foot high then the rest was like a tent...at the lake. Don't even remember what lake it was!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

It was Camp Pittenger at Payette Lake in McCall. I never went to that one. I always went to Camp Wilson up at Pine. Do they still do Camp Wilson? It was sure a lot of fun.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

I remember when we became girl scouts didn't the two groups merge? Because I remember being in Girl Scouts with Margaret.
I don't remember selling cookies, maybe that is why your group beat us. LOL
I remember selling subscriptions to the Mtn. Home News. I wanted to win, but I just don't think I had the salesman's touch, everywhere I went someone had been there before me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

I think the two groups merged, but can't remember many details. The original cookies were plain, vanilla-like and had the Girl Scout emblem on them. There was one choice, and I think they were 50 cents a box! We camped at Wilson and swam at Paradise Plunge --a natural hot springs facility across the road from the camp. In 2005 my family revisited Camp Wilson. It looked so different. The big cabin where the ladies fixed us hot chocolate in the chilly mornings and where they cooked our meals was gone. (We had it rough!) Many happy memories of night campfires, singing and sa'mores! Not so pleasant-- the outhouses!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

Yes, I remember one camping trip to Camp Wilson, we were camped by the creek, lots of mint growing around and I had one of the trusty Girl Scout mess kits. We gathered water from the creek and boiled it, (did they really allow each tent to have a fire?, I remember it that way) then added the mint to it and drank many a cup of mint tea, on the 3 or 4th day we took a hike up stream, only to find a dead sheep in the creek. YUK. I didn't get sick so we must have boiled the bacteria out.
The camp fires were great.
I'm singing right now-
This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.

Oh you can't get to heaven, on roller skates, on roller skates, you'll roll right by, you'll roll right by those pearly gates. I ain't gonna grieve My Lord no more.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is she?

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
That's my name too.
Whenever I go out, the people always shout
There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt da da da da da da da!
(repeat forever, softer)

Never could figure out why the Scoutmasters taught us such a nonsensical song.

99 bottles of beer on the wall...

Maybe they understood our maturity level.

Re: 99 bottles of beer on the wall...

Apropos of Wino's astute observation, I still like to sing "John Jacob Jingleheimer Smit." da, da, da, da, da, da...

Re: Re: 99 bottles of beer on the wall...

You left off a " da ".

Re: Re: Re: 99 bottles of beer on the wall...

Also, you didn't spell his last name the same way as you did the first time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 bottles of beer on the wall...

That warn't me, although I can see why some might think it was, da, da, da, da, da, da...that's how I sing it.

I see Butch Cassidy went to that big Hole in the Wall today. Too bad. He was an interesting dude who gave a lot back.

I met him for about a nano-second in 1958 when my troop directed traffic at a charity bazaar at the Bel Aire Country Club in LA. Joanne Woodward was with him. He drove into the place in a neat two-seater sports car of some kind.

I'll bet the kids at his Hole in the Wall camp sing John Jacob Jingleheimer Smit too. Fun song.