Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Picture

Hi, Joe
I just knew you as Paul until Terry set me straight, as you probably read. About the picture. I had forgotten about it and never had a copy, of course. But Susan sent me a copy in 2005 and asked if that was me. With all those cute guys from the other class. No, she didn't ask me that, but you were all very cute! In any case, it was the Sugar Shack, spontaneous, but I don't remember who took it. Can you provide more details? And, what are you and Terry doing these days? I live in Idaho Falls, teaching at a college here. Miss the other side of the state very much, but nothing I can do about it for now.
---M

Picture

Hi Marion, I have had that picture since it was taken. I don't remember who took it or how I got it. I have the picture on my desk. It reminds me of a more innocent age. Fish lives up the road from me. We work together sometimes. We are still neighbors and friends. Rick lives in California. He has a young son that he is very proud of named Tim. Jerry passed away some years ago. He was always gentle spirited. TJ spent his life as an Army gunship pilot. He served in every war since Vietnam. He married Jonnie Tichendorf's little sister, Susie. Susie has her Mother's sweetness and her Father's mischief in her eyes. I am a builder here in Mountain Home. I married a red headed demon woman that stalks me and haunts my dreams. About my only hobby is that sometimes I get drunk and give myself haircuts. I imagine you work at a private college and teach literature. So, tell me a little about yourself.

Re: Picture

And every once in awhile he peeps out of the basement!

Kathy, you are fun, next time you come this way I will come see Ya.

TJ

Joe,
It occurred to me just a few minutes ago, an irony about that picture. The irony was there, all this time, peeking at me, bothering me, but I could not crack the secret. Despite the appearance of the picture, none of you ever said more than a very few words to me the whole time I knew you. I don’t think Ron, Jerry, or Terry ever talked to me. I believe you may have. It’s no big deal, and I understand. I was two years behind you guys! Rick and I had conversations on occasions, but again, they were limited. Please, don’t misunderstand. I didn’t talk to those two years behind me either! It's a crowd thing. It’s just that the picture conveys a perception that’s inaccurate. Of course, there may be circumstances surrounding its taking that I have forgotten.
I am so saddened to hear about Jerry. Looking back now, he did seem to have an easy side to him; gentle is a good word. Ron used to ride my bus.
You are not far off. I teach writing, but at a public college. Not married. Divorced twice. Married Marion Hill. It was a very short marriage, less than a few weeks and divorce less than a year after. Married to a pilot for 13 years and divorced since 1982. I have three children, two in Boise, one who works for the railroad, one who works for NIFCE, and one who lives in Spokane, a street musician who’s still trying to find his niche. All of them neo-hippies. Don’t know WHERE they get it! I have appreciated yours and Terry’s comments! And, I have noticed that you write really well! I read some of your earlier posts and noticed that, and you have confirmed it again!
I also remember pegged jeans and shirt-tail hanging out. Appropriately cool! “Tuck that shirt-tail in, Fortner!” Hope you all stay in touch.

Hi Marion, When I have questions that vex me, I often go to the back door of the Golden Crown, into the kitchen, and visit Mr Lau. He always makes time for me. He will get us a couple of those small cups of Chinese green tea, then motion for me to proceed. As I talk, he often looks distracted, but from the piercing questions he asks, I know he is focused totally. Mr Lau will hold a concept up to the light and turn it and study it. His truth is always so simple that it is elegant. I always, always, always, come away wondering why I could not have seen what seems so obvious upon reflection. If you want, maybe we could spend time looking for some answers. I have a Japanese University student coming, this Thursday, to stay with me for about three weeks. I met his family when I was last in Japan. Taro wants to study our culture and language. I have been casting about for what to do with him. Would you be open to us driving over to where you teach and sitting in on a couple of your classes? I would buy lunch. How many hours drive are you from Mountain Home? Please give me your thoughts.

Generally, most Japanese students have studied English, and being in a classroom is probably not what he has in mind for his US visit! I suspect that you have probably found some pretty interesting activities already.
---M