Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Picture

Kathy, you are fun, next time you come this way I will come see Ya.

TJ

Joe,
It occurred to me just a few minutes ago, an irony about that picture. The irony was there, all this time, peeking at me, bothering me, but I could not crack the secret. Despite the appearance of the picture, none of you ever said more than a very few words to me the whole time I knew you. I don’t think Ron, Jerry, or Terry ever talked to me. I believe you may have. It’s no big deal, and I understand. I was two years behind you guys! Rick and I had conversations on occasions, but again, they were limited. Please, don’t misunderstand. I didn’t talk to those two years behind me either! It's a crowd thing. It’s just that the picture conveys a perception that’s inaccurate. Of course, there may be circumstances surrounding its taking that I have forgotten.
I am so saddened to hear about Jerry. Looking back now, he did seem to have an easy side to him; gentle is a good word. Ron used to ride my bus.
You are not far off. I teach writing, but at a public college. Not married. Divorced twice. Married Marion Hill. It was a very short marriage, less than a few weeks and divorce less than a year after. Married to a pilot for 13 years and divorced since 1982. I have three children, two in Boise, one who works for the railroad, one who works for NIFCE, and one who lives in Spokane, a street musician who’s still trying to find his niche. All of them neo-hippies. Don’t know WHERE they get it! I have appreciated yours and Terry’s comments! And, I have noticed that you write really well! I read some of your earlier posts and noticed that, and you have confirmed it again!
I also remember pegged jeans and shirt-tail hanging out. Appropriately cool! “Tuck that shirt-tail in, Fortner!” Hope you all stay in touch.

Hi Marion, When I have questions that vex me, I often go to the back door of the Golden Crown, into the kitchen, and visit Mr Lau. He always makes time for me. He will get us a couple of those small cups of Chinese green tea, then motion for me to proceed. As I talk, he often looks distracted, but from the piercing questions he asks, I know he is focused totally. Mr Lau will hold a concept up to the light and turn it and study it. His truth is always so simple that it is elegant. I always, always, always, come away wondering why I could not have seen what seems so obvious upon reflection. If you want, maybe we could spend time looking for some answers. I have a Japanese University student coming, this Thursday, to stay with me for about three weeks. I met his family when I was last in Japan. Taro wants to study our culture and language. I have been casting about for what to do with him. Would you be open to us driving over to where you teach and sitting in on a couple of your classes? I would buy lunch. How many hours drive are you from Mountain Home? Please give me your thoughts.

Generally, most Japanese students have studied English, and being in a classroom is probably not what he has in mind for his US visit! I suspect that you have probably found some pretty interesting activities already.
---M