Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Dad and the game warden

Sometime during World War II, Ora Statler came to Gooding to visit Dad. Bert Miller, Dad and Ora agreed to meet each other one morning for a little fishing trip on the Malad River, just below where it crosses the highway from Bliss to Gooding. Since Ora was going to go back to Salmon that afternoon, Dad and Bert were in Dad’s car and Ora was in his.

They’d fished for a short while and were down river a couple of hundred yards from the cars when a Fish and Game pickup truck pulled up next to the cars. The game warden got out and started walking down the trail toward them.

He got about 50 yards from them when Dad threw his fishing pole into the sagebrush and started running down river as hard as he could.

The game warden took off after Dad and had chased him a couple of hundred yards down the river when Dad suddenly sat down on a rock and proceeded to light a cigarette. The game warden was an older fellow and he was huffing and puffing when he got to where Dad had stopped. When he caught his breath, he asked Dad for his license. Dad pulled out his wallet and calmly handed it to him.

The game warden knew Dad and was more that just a little perturbed. He sternly asked Dad why he had run since he had a license.

Dad hesitated for a little while, pointed back up toward the road and said, “Well, you see that guy getting into his car? He doesn’t have a license.”

Ora made it to Salmon just fine.

The game warden tried for years after that to stick Dad with a ticket of any kind. To my knowledge, he never got the job done.

Re: My Dad and the game warden

HaHa, good story Warren, thanks for the laugh! Smart man, your Dad.

Re: My Dad and the game warden

Yeah, my Dad was a character .. the incident took place on the Malad River between Bliss and Gooding just after WWII

I figured it was time to lighten up the website

Susan - I've got some corrections to make to the info, will try to send tomorrow