Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Stereo

My grandmother had one of those old radios, I'm not sure who ended up with it. She listened to until she died in 1998. They sure are cool. My grandmother also had one of the old tredle sewing machines, that many of the grandaughters wanted,my grandmother taught all of us to sew on it. One of my aunts got that. My brother and his wife have an extensive collection of tredle machines and they get invited to museums to display them and put on a demonstration. One of my cousin's husband bought her a tredle machine for her birthday a few years ago. One exactly like my grandmother's.
I was trying to remember what they called those old TVs and stereos put into pieces of furniture. Didn't they call them console TVs and that is probably what they called the stereos also.

Re: Re: Re: Stereo

I have my grandparents old radio. It doesn't work anymore. Dad gave it to them during WWII. The first record player we had was a hi-fi. I remember listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford sing religous songs and my first album with the Beach Boys. We finally got a stereo and it was in a console. We had it until I was out of college. Hadn't thought about that in years.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stereo

In that color photo on the front page of Mike and I you'll see a speaker on the wall. It was part of this big homemade stereo system that Dad made, a pretty big piece of mahogany furniture. I'll never forget some of the LP albums my parents had -- Chubby Checkers (the Twist), Ray Charles, Brook Benton (The Boweavel song), and I had a Beach Boys live in concert album along with The Monkees very first album. :-) That old stereo lasted well into the 1990's before giving up the ghost.