Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Which way are we looking?

Okay, Susan, thanks, I got it figured out now, even though it was a little like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First" routine. :)

Sure was a lot of switching around. I wonder why they used East, West, Central, North, etc., instead of names of presidents, governors, explorers, etc?, not that it makes any difference.

Re: Re: Re: Which way are we looking?

So Warren,
Does that mean you were in Mr. Stevens class at West for 6th grade? Do you have that class photo?
I just don't remember going to the Jr. High for lunch from Central. I wonder if that means I went home? I know I went home for lunch from East because my house was across the street and three houses down. But you are right the food was good. Thanks to all those great Moms who were the cooks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which way are we looking?

The new North Elementary had real good cooks, too. But I probably would've eaten anything at that age and thought it was good.

Mr. Stevens? Husband to Lorraine Stevens who worked at the high school? Our families knew each other well, were good friends. The only time I ever would see West Elementary was when we'd visit the Stevens. They lived near it.

I believe one of the Stevens daughters passed away at a young age from leukemia. Good girl. She was roughly my age.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which way are we looking?

I think Sue Covey said in her story that her mom worked in the kitchen at North, probably the time you were there.

more lunchroom trivia

My mom was school secretary at [the original] North Elentary for years. By the time the lunchroom changed from the metal sectioned tray to the newer, heavier plastic type of trays, we were in high school. At that time, Mom brought several of the trays home.

As it turned out, my boyfriend lived alone when we were seniors (his parents transferred before our senior year), and my mom would fill the trays with meatloaf, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, apple crisp - the whole meal - then cover with aluminum foil. My boyfriend would then pop the tray into his oven and voila! perhaps the first "TV dinners" were invented then.

When Berta and I roomed together later at BSU, Mom continued the tradition, this time freezing the trays. We'd bring back several meals at a time, as many as our fridge-freezer would hold. No microwaves back then, but the oven served us well. She also taught us to reduce, re-use, recycle - a value I still hold today.

Way to go, Mom!

Re: more lunchroom trivia

Funny how I probably talked to Mrs. Covey every school day and never knew her name.

Iny, I do remember the Hunger Hut having a microwave, the first I had ever seen, and that was 1967 or 1966. But I imagine they were quite pricey, not perfected and still concerns about funny radiation emanating into the food they cooked.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which way are we looking?

I was also one of the kids who lived on the wrong side of the tracks. First in a small house behind the Mobil gas station, which my Grandfather owned. Had to get to school by walking under the underpass. Usually took extra time since there might be some new graffiti to check out! My dad put up a tetherball set for us and I have great memories of playing lots of tetherball with my good friend David McConkie! My cousin Diana Aguirre lived next door at that time. Once when we were in 4th or 5th grade, we were at her house alone and decided to surprise her mom with some delicious homemade bread. Not having a clue how to make it, we dialed up the operator on the phone and asked for instructions. Oddly enough, she gave us a recipe, which we thought we had followed very closely. Only one problem... we had forgotten to put in the yeast, so we just sprinkled it on top of the loaf! Great doorstop! Later in 6th grade I attended the brand-new West Elementary, where I enjoyed Wayne Stevens for a teacher. He was the first male teacher, and of course I had a huge crush on him....he was very handsome!