Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mr. Rumpf

Now Susan there has to be a mistake, I'm sure WE are not old enought for him to have a 50 year anniversary lol

Re: Re: Mr. Rumpf

I laughed out loud when I read your post Loree, So I guess that means they were married in either late 2005 or early 2006 making us 7 or 8 when they got married?

Mr. Rumpf

Bruce Rumpf, ex-Marine drill sergeant, was one of my favorite teachers (tech drawing and mechanical drawing) and of course, he was our coach for the Rifle Corps drill team. His work ethic and calm demeanor inspired me. I loved visiting with Eileen Vogel at the reunion and afterward at her lovely home in Oregon. Eileen and Linda Bottenfield were my personal choices for co-captains once I left - both accomplished, beautiful, intelligent friends! Looking back through my '66 yearbook, I realize that every member of the Rifle Corps - and in fact the Dance drill team, too - were exceptional young women.
Truly, they blessed my high school years.

Re: Mr. Rumpf

Bruce and Shirley Rumpf were my next door negihbors for many years. On my first day at MHHS, I ran into Bruce and a couple of other teachers walking in the hall between classes. Purely out of habit, I said "Hi, Bruce."

Mr. Rumpf grabbed me by the arm and took me into the closest classroom, where he calmly informed me that when we were at school, it was MR. RUMPF, not Bruce.

I had his drawing class next period and from that moment on, it was Mr. Rumpf, all the way.

Funny thing about that drawing class. I took it because I needed a technical elective and I think I figured knowing Bruce, I could get by pretty easy.

When the first report cards came out, I had an "F" in his class. Since we were still neighbors, the folks didn't have to wait for a parent-teacher conference. Bruce told the folks that I wasn't working up to my capability and when I started doing the work, the grade might come up.

After Christmas, the family took a week vacation. I had to stay home and do tons of drawings for extra credit. Bruce and Shirley watched me while the folks were gone.

I managed to get the "F" up to a "D" for the semester. The first and only "failing" grade I ever had. I worked my tail feathers off the second semester to get a "B" and ended despite the year with a "C".

Years later, I saw Bruce and Shirley, and couldn't wait to tell him that despite the rugged start, I had made a living as a structural draftsman/designer and was now managing the computer drafting system for the Idaho Highway Department. He looked me square in the eye and said "I knew it was just a matter of applying yourself."

As for his calm demeanor, I imagine that those students who experienced Bruce"s Board of Education might describe it a little differently, but that's another story.

Glad to see that our teachers, as well as most of us, survived those days and are doing well.