Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 2nd Street

I have 4 postcards of Mtn. Home. Two are of Main St. and are almost identical except there are more people in one of the postcards, it is obviously from before they changed Main St into one way. Then there are the two of 2nd street from each end that were taken later because it shows it to be one way. I wonder how many other postcards are out there, that are from the late 50s or 60s.

Re: Re: Re: 2nd Street

What street was Quisenberry's on? Wasn't that the busiest street in town in terms of businesses?

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd Street

Quisenberry's was on 2nd street. And yes I quess it was the busiest street with businesses on both sides of the street. I remember helping with inventory there a couple of years when I was in high school.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd Street

Okay, then what street was The Merc and Harris Dept Store on? And was it the same street that ran alongside the park or junior high?

Also, was the Mtn Home Herald newspaper building on 2nd Street, too?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd Street

The Merc and the Harris Dept Store were on Jackson, it ran East and West, 2nd street ran North and South,
The Mountain Home News was (is) on 3rd St behind the Merc. I have been looking for a picture of Jackson St. during the 60s but so far have not found one. Next time I go to Mtn. Home I will go to the Mtn. Home News and see if I can find some pictures.
Richard has changed his home page but I will post the other 2nd street pic and it shows part of Jackson St.

2nd Street Pixs

The picture looking north shows a stop sign that intersection is 2nd and Jackson. Wasn't there a barbershop in the same building as the Harris Dept store? I think that there were beauty shops on Main and 2nd and maybe a barbershop on 2nd? not sure.

Re: 2nd Street

For awhile, the Spudnut (donuts) was one of the first shops on 2nd Street, north of Jackson, on the right (east). They made donuts with potatoes as one of the main ingredients, and those tasy treats were outstanding! In any of the booths we had fun turning the "pages" of songs titles inside the glass boxes mounted on the wall, and for a dinme (three for a quarter) the selections played on the jukebox . . . .
Hey - anyone remember the favorite songs from back then? I almost always punched in "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - still love that song.
Also, what store or busines replaced the Spudnut?

The Spudnut Shop

I remember when the Spudnut Shop opened. My dad took my brothers and me over there the back way from Harris Dept Store for a donut. We were there almost before they opened. It sure was good. Do I remember there was an ice cream shop that took its place, or is that some made up memory.

Re: The Spudnut Shop

I ALSO REMEMBER GOING TO THE SPUDNUT SHOP. IT BRINGS FOND MEMORIES BACK. THEY MOVED OVER A COUPLE OF BLOCKS WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL.(I THINK) JILL, BONNIE AND I WOULD GO THERE SPLIT .25 FRENCH FRIES WITH LOTS OF KATSUP ON THEM AND .10 COKES.
KATHI

Re: Re: The Spudnut Shop

I think that barber shop was Swede Swensen's, the one Richard and I talk about in the "Almost cut my hair" thread. It was on 2nd.

I think I'm remembering the streets better now. Wish I remembered the Spudnut shop, but I don't. :-( I live near a Krispy Kreme now. Hah.