Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Almost cut my hair..."

I remember the barber shop on the main downtown street and how it reminded me so much of Mayberry's barber shop with Floyd the barber. Anyone know the owners and history of it? Is it still there?

Remember the short crew cuts we guys would get, and the smell of "butch", that gel stuff that made your hair stand up?

I'll never forget walking along the sidewalk and ducking into the barber shop, complete with barber pole outside. There were always guys in there reading the paper or just shooting the breeze. A pretty big mirror, if I recall, too.

Re: "Almost cut my hair..."

I don't remember a Floyd, but I sure do remember Swede, Swede the barber. Actually Swede Swensen, he cut my hair for years. I remember going in with a dollar bill and all the kids always got 10 cents change, enough to go buy a candy bar afterward. He had an airplane and was also a flight instructor.

Re: Re: "Almost cut my hair..."

I always liked the aroma in that barber shop, be it Butch or whatever. It was a really nice shop. Sadly, I think I very rarely got my hair cut there. My mom had the pleasure of scalping me as a kid.

Thanks for the info, RB. There sure were colorful characters in town.

Flattops

I learned the hard way to keep my head straight while those fellas buzzed away aligning my flattop. I went about three weeks with one off-kilter after slouching and leaning my head to one side. Naturally, "good friends" noticed it right away and made that short time in my pre-adolescence traumatic. I do recall Charley Sprittles coming in once for his semi-annual haircut. I had never seen him before and his appearance and strange accent were fascinating. Never saw so much hair on a man until the Beatles came along.

Re: Woops!

I was reminded again about my bad memory. My barber's name wasn't Swensen, but Sorenson.