Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Movies

What was the theater on the same street in Boise that Boise High School was on? If it wasn't the same street, it was no farther than a block diference. I saw "Thunderball" there with the wrestling team. I still enjoy watching old Bond flicks with Sean Connery, especially "Thunderball" since it has other fond memories tied to it.

I was in the Canyon many times and I didn't even notice a balcony! Hah. Or I've just forgotten. My buddies and I would race down to the front row, right corner. We'd toss gum and popcorn at the screen during the movies. Jeez, we were idiots.

I recall seeing "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken," "The Girl in the Invisible Bikini" and many other Disney or Disney-type movies at the Canyon.

I remember seeing "Night of the Grizzly" starring Clint Walker and Martha Hyer, at the Mtn. Home Theater.

I saw "Blue Hawaii" at a drive-in but can't recall if it was the Mtn. Home drive-in or a Boise drive-in. I just remember lots of blue waves and Elvis singing all the time. Hah.

I saw a couple really good movies in Boise. "Cat Ballou" (Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin, Hickman [Dobie Gillis guy]...) is still one of my favorite comedy-westerns. And I remember seeing "The Professionals" in a Boise Theater, starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Jack Palance, Claudia Cardinale (ooh, she was voluptuous!). Great movie, to this day. The Ada Theater could've been one of them, I just don't remember those details.

Saturday nights were movie nights for me and my friends. Once, I had a hip injury (hip-pointer) and it hurt so bad that I had to crawl out of the car, keeping my leg and hip straight. It was cold and rainy. People must've thought I was nuts.

Spokane had the Fox Theater, State Theater, Post Theater, Dishman Theater and Garland Theater, all of which were beautiful inside, like the Ada. But now the Fox and Post are gone, the State has changed to a small stage theatre, the Dishman is converted to a strip club and the Garlands shows old movies for a dollar.

Susan, I think the price for a movie at the Canyon skyrocketed to a quarter by 1965-66-67. Outrageous! :)

Re: Re: Movies

Bobby your mention of the always voluptious Claudia Cardinale reminded me of one of my top 5 all-time favorite movies, "Once Upon a Time In The West" staring Claudia, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Charles Bronson. I think it came out in about 1970, the only movie that I know of where Henry Fonda played the bad guy. It was made by Sergio Leone, known for his "speghitti westerns" (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, etc. where Clint Eastwood got his start). I still pull out my old video tape of the movie and watch it occasionally.

Re: Re: Re: Movies

You mention movies and I remember the drive-in at Mtn. Home...Graduation night...1965...(I was only a soph, but my guy was a Sr.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies

Weren't Drive-Inns the best? I never snuck into the drive-in but rememeber lots of stories about putting people into the trunk, hiding them on the floor, sneaking through the fence.

I remenber going on dates there and my father calling it the passion pit. He wasn't happy when I had a date there. Ahh, but those steamy windows were a dead give away.
And how many of those speakers did they have to fix each week? Leaving and forgetting to put the speaker back on it's stand.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies

Hahah, Kathy you are baaad.

Speaking of old movies we remember, just this week Don Knots, Darren McGavin and Dennis Weaver passed away. Sheesh. That's Barney Fife, Kolchak the Night Stalker and Chester - All gone!

Richard, I think Claudia was enough to make Moose pass out if he ever tried his Basque women kissing stunt on her. For my money, Claudia was every bit what Racquel Welch was.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies

But, Bobby, did you see Raquel at the Olympics? She doesn't age! Wish I had her money and could keep the youth!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies

Missed Ms. Welch at the Olympics. Agree that she is like fine wine in the aging process. I'll never forget "1,000,000 Years B.C."

Are the Canyon and Mtn. Home theaters still going, or is there a multi-plex now?

Theaters

Not sure about the Canyon, but I think it is gone. The Mountain Home Theater closed and was then rented by Mark Lane (Rush to Judgement and lawyer for Jim Jones)in about 1971 to use as an anti-war GI coffee house. I'll never forget hearing the news. The mother of a friend told me about it and told me that "A dark day had come to Mtn. Home". I could just see there being a black cloud over the town. Anyway, I digress, it got burned down by somebody. The town people say it was those darn hippies and their drugs and candles, the anti-war people say it was the town people because they hated the coffee house. My brother says it was the town people and he knows exactly who it was. Anyway it isn't there anymore either.
Those of you who live in Mtn. Home or close, didn't they tear it down at the same time as the El Rancho? I can't remember seeing it there the last time I was in Mtn. Home.
Yes, interestingly enough the multi-plex is on the property where the anti-war coffee house moved to after the fire.

Bobby , the Boise movie theater was named The Pinney . Located by capital and the top part of building decoration is still located by the now parking lot . sorta reminds me of a tombstone..Also I use to go the Canyon Theater for Sunday mattinees .

What memories those old places bring back...El Rancho, Canyon Theater, the "Passion Pit".

I haven't been back to Mountain Home since our 10th class reunion, so I am really enjoying all the pictures and news...thank you

What about the Sand Dunes and the old Donut tree??? I remember riding my bicycle to the Spudnut and getting maple bars, then riding to the Donut tree and eating them. I think that was a trip that Eddy, Paul Engle and I made more than once...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dunes

Ahhh, yes, the Bruneau Sand Dunes. Two steps up, one step back. By the time you climbed them you were exhausted. The legs were gone. When at the top of a dune you could watch the wind/breeze blowing the sand off the crest. In time, of course, the dunes would shift and change shape. I remember the Snake River nearby. You could easily see lizard tracks in the sand, and I chased after more than a few, usually either catching a horney toad or backing away from a cornered, hissing lizard. It was much more fun chasing than catching.

My dad taught Geology (Earth Sciences) at MHHS so we always got a lesson on all the rocks and dunes, etc. Igneous, sedimentary.......

I know it isn't the sand dunes but I also remember Bruneau Canyon and traipsing around it. I remember thinking, "How could that little creek way down there ever make a canyon like this?!" Later I learned the local folks would hold rattlesnake roundups there, and folks would cook/eat the things. Umm, no thanks. I was lucky enough to have never gotten tangled with a rattler. After we moved to Spokane, Evel Kneivel tried jumping that canyon but never made it, due to a parachute malfuntion. I always wondered if his famous jump was near where I explored there.

Judy, was the Pinney Theater near Boise High School, a couple blocks? I'm certain the big wrestling tourney was at the home of the Braves, a rather old building even back then. I can't recall going to Capital except for one football game in which we got crushed. Capital was brand new then, circa 1966.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dunes

Yes the Pinney was a few blocks from Boise High .
The school ia a block from my work and still a pretty building..
Lunch is alot different than when we were kids in Mtn. Home .
We had the Hunger Hut across from school Boise High has a sidewalk hotdog stand and pizza trucks parked near by from different pizza places also school had grill set up outside for hamburgers ..Had to get in the market !

I haven't been over there lately to see if the food vendors were still there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dunes

Thanks, Judy. What year (graduated) are you? Yes, you are sure right about lunches nowadays. At Lewis and Clark High School here in Spokane, students flock to McDonald's, Arby's, Wendy's, etc. And the selection in school is incredible. But, you know, going back for 7th's at North Elementary for pizza was good enough for me. The Hunger Hut, if I recall, didn't serve very good food. I would've remembered if they did!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dunes

Class of 64

Hunger Hut

Oh my, but the Hut DID serve the biggest, bestest, greasiest, saltiest basket of French fries - smothered in ketchup upon request - in the universe! One order of fries and a large cherry Coke would keep two people going through all their afternoon classes . . . or for the rest of the ball game on Friday nights.

Re: Movies

Did anyone see Old Yeller and Bambi at the Mtn. Home movie. If you did let me ask this. Did they bring a tear to your eye.

Oh,my gosh, it was at the Mtn. Home Theater I saw Old Yeller, for years when ever it comes up I could only remember seeing it on video with my kids. But you reminded me that was where I saw it. Thanks Gary and yes I think I was still bawling when I left the theater.

We have wild "domestic" (ferrel)hogs here that are really causing problems! My daughter had to rush one of her dogs to the vet when ripped open by one, I thought of "Ole Yeller" and the wild hogs that chased them! I still cry when I see that movie!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies

Saw Old Yeller but can't remember exactly where. Yes, definitely teared up. Odd, but I have never seen Bambi, to this day. Can I substitute The Yearling for Bambi?