Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The Merry Milkman

I do remember the Merry Milkman. I also remember him coming to the Canyon Theater to a Saturday matinee and giving away things. I think you got a ticket when you went in and he did a little show and then pulled tickets for some prizes. I have a picture of him and Sancho and Pancho I will post in a few days.

The Harlem Globe Trotters

Anyone remember the Harlem Globe Trotters coming to Mtn. Home? I can't remember who they played, was it the coaches or some of the town fathers? Who ever it was they got beat, I remember and it was so much fun to watch all the tricks that the Globe Trotters did. It was in the High School Gym I remember that.

Re: The Harlem Globe Trotters

The Globe Trotters did put on a show at the High School Gym back when we were kids. Seems like it was in 1963 or 64. I think their bus broke down on the way from Salt Lake to Portland or Seattle and they were "stranded" in Mtn. Home for a couple of days waiting for the parts. I remember the bus sitting at Edgar's Garage out past the Hungry Onion. And I think one of their regular "opponents" was there as well. At any rate, since they were stuck, somebody in town got the idea to put the game together and we got a real treat.

The team included the great Meadow Lark Lemon, Curly Neal and Geese Ausbe. What those guys did with a basketball was amazing ... half court shots, three quarter court shots, behind the back passes, the bucket of "water". At any rate, it was all pretty impressive to me.

As for the Merry Milk Man, I remember he had a contest for collecting caps off of milk bottles ... since milk came in glass bottles with cardboard and tin foil caps way back then and a lot of people had it deliver right to their doorstep. Any way, Merlin and Lois Cox collected the most and won a neat little fiberglass milk truck with a real gas engine. It would do about 15 miles an hour and Merlin and I spent a lot of time terrorizing the roads on our side of town. Merlin's Dad was an engineer on the train that went to the Air Base and we would ride out to where the tracks crossed the road by the municipal airport with him, then jump off and walk back to town collecting bottles (mostly beer bottles ... wonder why ???) It was straight to the Model Market to turn them in for more money for gas for the truck.

Life was a lot simpler back then.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Look, up in the sky

I can't say that I remember that Milkman, but do any of you remember the man that used to deliver our milk to the schools???

Mr. Marks.

I remember because he is the one that I ran into the audience and sat on his lap and kissed his bald head.
That was the post-hypnotic suggestion that was given me when the Hypnotist visited our school. REMEMBER??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Look, up in the sky

Warren,
I thought the whole idea of the Harlam Globe Trotters was they came in and humilated the home town team? Are you sure it wasn't a team from Mtn. Home? Or maybe Boise?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Look, up in the sky

When they first started, the Globetrotters would take on anybody, local high school teams, college teams, what ever.

By the mid 1950's, they had formed a sort of farm club system where they had 5 or 6 regular teams they played against, which kept the final scores a little closer.

I think they will still play it either way but play against the farm clubs most of the time.

I don't temember whether it was one of their other regular opponents, or local players that we got to see. All I do know is that it was one heck of a show for our little town!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Look, up in the sky

It sure was, I laughed so hard at Meadow Lark Lemmon. He was amazing to watch and so much fun.