Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Train Depot/ Noon siren

Hmm, that one I do not recall. Was it the siren on the other side of town, perhaps? (I think it was placed on top of the water tower.) Maybe someone in MH can ask Philly?

Re: Train Depot/ Noon siren/saw mill whistle

Richard....The old Sawtooth saw mill had a whistle that went off at quitting time probably at 5:00pm. There really were lots of unique sounds to remind everyone the time of day!

Re: Re: Train Depot/ Noon siren/saw mill whistle

Yes, you're sure right, Jim. We lived close to Gridley's market so the noon siren was loud. But the 5:00 whistle came from the other side of town and was sometimes hard to hear if the wind was blowing (which was WAY too often in windy Mtn. Home). I do remember now it was the steady blast of a whistle, rather than the wail of a siren.

Re: Re: Re: Train Depot/ Noon siren/saw mill whistle

Do you remember the cuban crisis when JFK was president? Our whistle was 2 long 1 short, for practice drill, and 1 long 2 short ment the missles were coming, we were supposed to get out of town.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Train Depot/ Noon siren/saw mill whistle

I remember the noon whistle, but I remember it going forever the day President Kennedy was shot. After they announced his assasination at the Jr. High as I scurried home I remember the whistle going forever and thinking that the missles were on their way. I remember it being so scary.