Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Big Elk

Okay, let me try to start my story again.
Loree was kind enough to loan me several pictures and I am finally getting around to posting some of them. When we were looking through her pictures I saw this one and really liked it. My dad shot an elk in 54; the antlers still hang in the Elk’s Club in Mtn. Home. And my sons both hunt for elk. My youngest was the first to get an elk. Unfortunately, he shot a bull when he had a cow license. He and his dad were out early, and in the first light there was a herd of elk. My husband had the binoculars and picked out an elk for my son to shoot. They both agreed it was a cow, my son shot and the herd scattered. They tracked the elk for most of the day. At about 1 they headed back for lunch and then started again to look for the elk. This time they went the other way and there was the elk, fallen just a little ways from where they shot it but in the opposite direction the rest of the herd went, then they saw those **** little spikes. They cleaned the animal all the while talking about the right thing to do. When they were finished they took off to the ranger station and turned themselves in. My husband got 5 points on his license and a $100 fine; my son got nothing, as he was a minor. The ranger found someone with a bull license to come and tag the animal and take it, and then the ranger said, “Okay, now you can go back and look for a cow.” By this time it was about 5:00 and they were too tired to hunt anymore. Alex has never gotten another elk. My oldest son Nick has gotten two elk, one a cow and then a big bull with 6 points. I will post a picture of that. We have it mounted in our living room.

Re: Re: Re: Big Elk

That's your Dad's elk mounted at the Elk's lodge? Now that's a big one. I've attended many a function (including reunions) at the Elk's and always notice that mounting.
I am impressed how your husband is passing on good hunting ethics to the kids.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Elk

Hey Susan, just got here to check out the picture. Always loved hunting with my dad. Thanks for putting the picture up.