Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do you remember???

Seems like now a days people get their noses in a bunch if Christmas is mentioned before Thanksgiving..

Well, I remember when I was young that the local news paper would start a count down at "100 SHOPPING DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS".I think they should go back to that.

Just think, now a days, everyone is trying to hurry and get all their shopping done in one or one and a half months..That is pretty hard on the old pocket book!

If you had 100 days, I think there would be less stress because the money wouldn't have to all come from the same pay period. It doesn't mean that you need to decorate any earlier, just a nice way to remind you that you don't need to wait to shop until after Thanksgiving.

What do you think out there??

Re: Do you remember???

When my three kids were little, I would save money, but wait until Christmas Eve to buy presents. If I started buying early, they would change their minds 10 times before "Santa" came!!

There were several years when they were little (and I was a single Mom) that I delivered newspapers. I would drive across Austin on Christmas eve to stay at my parents house. It was so hectic! I would put the kids to bed and my Dad would go with me to deliver papers and rush back to the house to beat the kids before they woke up! I would be a zombie all Christmas Day due to lack of sleep!

The most memorable Christmas was '65. Lyndell Jenkins parents had been transferred and she was going to college in Washington State. She came to spend Christmas with our family. At 3 am Christmas morning, my Dad woke us up to say Mom was in labor and they were going to the hospital to have "the baby". Needless to say, we went ahead and opened our presents while Mom and Dad were at the hospital (couple months early) Karlan and I made Christmas dinner. The only thing I had to do was cook the turkey....Well a few days later when we were getting down to the last of the turkey..there was something inside???? I did not know you are supposed to take out a little paper bag with "stuff" in it!!! My entire family has never let me live that one down!

Six weeks later we moved to Burns Flat, Oklahoma. That is completely another story!

Oh yea, "the baby" is now nearly 42 years old and a great brother!

I LOVE THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS!!

Re: Re: Do you remember???

Any chance you know where Lyndell is now? She was a close friend of mine at WSU, but I totally lost touch with her.

Re: Do you remember???

I think the most memorable Christmas I had was when my daughters were 16 and 14..They were looking forward to the holidays and I was looking for a coat to keep me warm..
A friend was closing out their business and had some coats that they were selling really reasonable, so I was going to go take a look..
Shel and Les wanted to come with me, and of course I said that was fine but not to expect any new coats since they both had leather and several different ones, and I only had a wind breaker! They agreed.

Well, of course they started "oooing" and "awwwwing" and I reminded them of their promise before we left. Bad became worse until the two of them ended up pushing me too far..I asked, I told, and then it all came down to "stop being so selfish or I am going to cancel Christmas". It was already said, and they just laughed, never dreaming that I would go through with it. They were wrong!!!
I had put a telephone on layaway for Les and a class ring on layaway for Shel, and it was only early October. I went the next day and got the gifts and gave it to them..Told them the only reason they got those was because I had already put them on layaway, but not to expect anything on Christmas. They figured I would give in since it was almost two months away. When Thanksgiving came and went and I wasn't decorating and then Christmas came and we didn't even have a special dinner,they realized that Mom was not kidding around. It was just terrible on everyone, but I think the saddest was when the girls got a piece of shrub, put it in a 16oz Pepsi bottle and made paper ornaments to hang on it. They always remember the Christmas that got cancelled because they were so selvish!! lol

Re: Re: Do you remember???

Rosanna,
As my children grew up, the middle one, a daughter gave me all kinds of trouble (in her teens). She now has 3 children, married a guy with 3 children and they have one together (TOTAL of 7!!) A few years back she gave me a poem "Mean Mother" I will find it and send to you. Sounds like you taught your two daughters a very good lesson that they will carry with them the rest of their lives! GOOD FOR YOU!

One question...Did Santa Claus every forgive you for not leaving cookies and milk that Christmas?

Re: Re: Re: Do you remember???

Oh, believe me,,,,,,Santa got his deserts that night..tee hee

Hey, when Christmas has been cancelled, you have to have some fun. lol

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Rosanna,
As my children grew up, the middle one, a daughter gave me all kinds of trouble (in her teens). She now has 3 children, married a guy with 3 children and they have one together (TOTAL of 7!!) A few years back she gave me a poem "Mean Mother" I will find it and send to you. Sounds like you taught your two daughters a very good lesson that they will carry with them the rest of their lives! GOOD FOR YOU!

One question...Did Santa Claus every forgive you for not leaving cookies and milk that Christmas?