Class of 1967 Message Center

Class of 1967 Message Center
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fathers' Day

In the rush to get to Austin yesterday to visit my Dad, I forgot to wish all the Fathers here a "Happy Fathers' Day!"
In this day of time, it is so important to the children to have the support and love of their Fathers.
My children were unfortunate not to have their Father as they grew up and I had to step into the roll. I remember taking my son and his friend (both 3 years old) fishing at the lake in my grandfather's small boat. I felt it was my obligation to do "boy" stuff for my son. They were so proud of catching tiny little perch, it made the trip well worth the bother to see their eyes light up when they pulled those little fish into the boat!
Later in his life, (around the age of 12) I took my son out to some land a friend owned with his gun, to go dove hunting. Not a single dove was seen, but he did get some "target" practice!
Another "substitute" Dad time was when my oldest daughter married. I asked her if she would like her Grandfather to walk her down the aisle of this very formal wedding. She informed me she was insulted by that question and that I had been her "mom" and "dad" almost all her life and she wanted me to walk her down the aisle, after all I was the only one that had the ability to "give her away". So.. I did.
Now that all my children are grown, I have a loving husband who supports them and loves them. He does help with the Grandchildren.
Dads are so very important and THANK YOU to all of the Dads that have given the support and love to their children!!

Re: Fathers' Day

Kathy,
Well said. Fathers are so important to children. It sounds like your children were very lucky to have a mom who understood that and filled in.
I too filled in for my husband in the things he couldn't. He took them fishing and hunting but I filled in on the Boy Scouts, camping and taking them to the creek to hunt for crawdads.
Thanks Kathy for remembering Father's Day. I also am thankful for all the fathers out there.