Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton B4 jack

Can someone tell me what is the correct jack that is supplied with the outfits. I believe it is a Shelley Jack. Is it a 7 inch? and were they the only ones supplied with the outfit. Can we have a photo of one and also the proper handle for the jack. My understanding it is the same jack as was supplied to the Austin 7 sedan. Can someone help me out here please.George.

Re: Norton B4 jack

George, it is indeed the Shelley 7DL with the L shaped top. Here is my 1938 jack. I'll photograph my handle later. Ron

photo Big4026_zps7eeab976.jpg

Here is the handle that I acquired separately from my jack, so I don't know if it's a Shelly item. Also I had to shorten it to fit the rear locker. But it works ok. Ron

photo Big4272_zps47aa3bd6.jpg

Thanks Ron,
From the model number you gave I found heaps of images for the jack and handles of the 7 DL jack on Google Images and then Google search found the "The British car jack and the Steveig MGB" site that has the best collections of british car jacks including Shelley. Numerous model of Jacks are shown and description and suited to what motor vehicles, but they appear to have no knowledge of the Norton SWD B4. You may have found the site before but if you haven't you may want to give the site author an undate with your knowledge. The Shelly 7DL model name was changed in early 50's to become known as the the LJ21. It was great of Shelley to cast the year of manufacture on their jacks and you happened to have to suit your B4 for the period. Your handle is a different shape to the parts list handle but the same as the Shelley's one on the above mentioned site. So now I know what to look for, I'll start looking. Thanks George. Aussie B4

George, R.T. Shelley were the parent company of Norton Motors at the time so it's most unlikely that they'd have used anyone elses.

Ron's handle looks just the same as the handle that came with the Shelley jack that came with my ex-MOD Series Land Rover. No reason to suppose that the design changed that often though...

Hi all,

The 7DL is indeed the right jack, they come up on ebay often, but be carefull not to pay too much! strangely the postwar ones are going much higher as they were used on the Austin Healeys etc. 1937/8/9 seems to be the common dates, have not seen any 1940's dated ones.

I powdercoated mine;

The handle is a special affair, will eventually scale up the picture in the parts list, and have some made (Ron?)

It's very advisable to have one with you, I had a puncture once on Guernsey, and the jack came in very handy!!

Cheers,

Lex

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Shelley-7DL-7-DL-jack-Morris-8-Norton-Big-4-combination-/291164308721?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item43cabec4f1

Clive, that one has the wrong top, so not Big 4.

As Ron stated, has to have a cast "L" shaped top bit.

Cheers,

Lex