Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H

Hello Every one I'm new to your forum ! iv just brought myself another Wd motorcycle ! this time a Norton 16H, can any one tell me What the modern
Equivalent of the norton kluge spark plug is Please ?
Im having a bit of trouble with over heating ! I'm going to retime it .nothing seems out of the ordinary at this stage .
I fully retard it with chock full on at the Initial Start up then full advance it no probs their, but after about 10 to 15 miles out mainly after negotiating a steep hill in top she pulls up the hill into at about 35 -40 mph . on reaching the summit i get a heat seizure i dip the clutch pull over after about one minuet she will start again just to make sure its nothing major then stop the engine give it about 10 mins and off i go at about 30 so as to nurse the bike home ! the adjust the tappets as their is enough room to swing a cat through

Any ideas ....... Ted

Re: Norton 16H

Ted
Hello Every one I'm new to your forum ! iv just brought myself another Wd motorcycle ! this time a Norton 16H, can any one tell me What the modern
Equivalent of the norton kluge spark plug is Please ?
Im having a bit of trouble with over heating ! I'm going to retime it .nothing seems out of the ordinary at this stage .
I fully retard it with chock full on at the Initial Start up then full advance it no probs their, but after about 10 to 15 miles out mainly after negotiating a steep hill in top she pulls up the hill into at about 35 -40 mph . on reaching the summit i get a heat seizure i dip the clutch pull over after about one minuet she will start again just to make sure its nothing major then stop the engine give it about 10 mins and off i go at about 30 so as to nurse the bike home ! the adjust the tappets as their is enough room to swing a cat through

Any ideas ....... Ted
oops sorry that KLG spark plug

The tappet gap should be 4 inlet 6 exhaust. Check the timing which is 7/16ths BTDC, but I'm running mine more advanced than this without any problems with modern fuel. Have you recently rebuilt the engine? Does it need running it?

hello and thank you for your reply , I have set the tappets to your spesification
which is also in a little black hand book that i have found in the tool box lid !
it does start easy hot or cold and pull very well ! i have had a look at the bore it looks like it was not used for a long time as at the bottom of its stroke its pitted i a number of places nothing to worry about as it does not affect the rings ! the rest of it looks fine no scores or marking to the piston . but i think it will check the ring gaps . i will look at the TDC you never know it may be out a little , I have not touched the engine nor the chap i got it off has rebuilt it
mind you the chap i got it off had only covered about 1500 miles

Hello Ted,

as a very good replacement spark plug I found the Champion D9 which is still in production, so no need for a NOS plug. I actually also tested the KLG WM80 ( waterproof designed M80 ) which failed - maybe due to age but I also had the impression that it got too hot.

...Yes, the engine can get very hot.

Check the basic setup: I found that when the ignition timing is set correctly at around 11mm before TD, your carburettor has new needle and jet setup correctly and your valve clearance is noticeable there is in normal use no need to move the ignition handle at all - even not for starting.
A major step ahead was the rebuilt of the carburettor with new parts and the correct setup with a pilot jet set rather lean than too rich.

If a proper setup does not help think about your oil circuit in your engine starting with the check of your oil supply of your pump. Fortunately you can get pump again new. 

Good luck !

Heiko

Hello Heiko . Thank you for your information ! and yes i have tried all that you have mentioned > I also have a champion D9 but i must confess the gap was at about 21thou but is now at 15thou and it seems much better as i have been out on a 20 mile run today . I have ordered a new and correct carburettor of martin Bratbury which comes with the flame trap trumpet with gorse £205
the oil circulating very well iv looked in the oil tank and it is returning to the tank the oil telltale is in its upper most position and i have cleaned out the oil way in the top of the crank cases and bottom of the barrel, i have also given the petrol tank and taps a jolly good clean
Heres hoping its sorted

Maybe run the bike slowly for a few hundred miles and don't strain the engine until it's run in.