Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DIY Speaker NOOB needs advice...be gentle

OK, lets get this out of r=the way first....I'm a complete N00B. I've been listening to Jazz, freakfolk etc on good to great (Grado/Alessandro) headphones for a while and I realized that the old Bose bookshelf speakers (clean the coffee of your keyboard) weren't cutting it....at all.
I want to build a set of speakers because...I spent all my dosh on my headphones. I was thinking about the Lyra...Suggestions?
Specifics: The room is about 15 X 23, I like detail a LOT and the speakers need to have a fairly small footprint and basically be pieces of furniature.
Can I: Build them out of solid lumber rather than fiberboard (spit and sawdust)? I make furniature as a hobby and MDF, etc is for shop jigs, not furniture.
What crossover can I buy rather than build. I am not that great at following electronics schematics.Otherwise I am VERY handy (Change my own timing belt, build Greene Bros. furniture handy)

Please be gentle.

Re: DIY Speaker NOOB needs advice...be gentle

Holy crap...this is the first board that actually displayed my e-mail without asking me first. Does anyone know how to edit that out? You can delete the whole thing if needed.
Just what I need....a billion bots scooping up my e-mail. Nigerian scams here I come.....