Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Eros MKii finished

Congratulations! They look great. If you have read any of the posts from me about my issues with the bass response that should give you some clues. The shape of the room and the position of the speakers in it will dominate the bass response. I would not suggest stuffing anything in the speakers until you try a few things:

1. Pull the speakers out from the wall and see if the response smoothes out.

2. If you can, measure the in-room bass response using test tones and a cheap SPL meter (Radio Shack). There is a spread sheet that has a graph and the correction values at this site http://www.snapbug.ws/subtestmodel.xls . You will see if there are any huge peaks that are causing it to sound boomy. Then you can move the speakers around to find a spot that has the best response.

If you must have the speakers located where they are….you might want to re-locate the ports to the front of the enclosure. Having the port fire into the room instead of into the wall should smooth the response.

BTW what length did you cut your ports too? Did you measure the impedance to find the ultimate port length? Just wondering. I don’t think that the minor difference in tuning is going to account for the “boomy” response.

Hope that helps!

mike

Ramon:

Mike's suggestions are great. And congrats on the Eros'. I would add:

Try getting 'em up off your wood floor. Spikes would work great but as a test try a couple pieces of scrap wood under the front and rear to see if there's any difference. Spikes made huge difference in cleaning up the bass on mine.

Jeff

Re: Re: Eros MKii finished

Hi Jeff,

Thanks. The flooring is laminate. With concrete beneath. I will try to lift them with spikes.
Keep you posted.

Your port may be too short. Try to lengthen them little by little (1/4 in. at a time).