Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: modify Spendor S3/5 add damping

I read the review in Stereophile…it looks like the largest resonance is on the rear panel. Instead of destroying the nice exterior of the speaker try just addressing that panel. You could use the blue-tak between the speaker and the stands. Then cover the rear panel with damping material. There are several varieties of constrained layer damping material out there that are primarily intended for use inside the speaker to damp rear wave reflections. I think they would work just as well on the exterior of the cabinet. Try covering the rear panel with some blackhole 5 or whispermat and see if you can detect the difference. It would be a easy way to see if you are hearing that resonance.

The constrained layer damping works best between two layers of stiff material. The constrained layer absorbs the energy as it tries to pass between the two stiff surfaces. The stuff like BH5 and Wispermat do this by sandwiching a layer of foam like material between the wall of the speaker and the outer layer of vinyl like material. The energy has to pass through the foam and resonate the vinyl.

You should really try and determine if you are hearing the panel resonance or just some artifact of you room acoustics or an inherent property of the drivers. If it has something to do with the room placement or a breakup mode in the driver…a completely inert cabinet will not help.

For some really interesting reading on cabinet design try this article: http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/904rockport/

mike

Re: Re: modify Spendor S3/5 add damping

Thanks for the info. The reason I think it is a cabinet vibration is that I put my ear against the speaker and I could hear two pitches clearly where the cabinet rings like a bell (some chamber music for solo strings demonstrates the exact pitches quite nicely). Then in normal listening I can hear the same pitches ringing.. it is those pitches that bother me. Does that sound like a cabinet vibrational resonance? Or could it be the standing waves in the cabinet? I think the frequencies are about 125 and 500 Hz. The former could not be a standing wave as it corresponds to a wavelength of 8 feet. The latter might be the top-to-bottom mode of the cabinet (cabinet is about 12 inches high so wavelength would be 2 feet), although I hear a clear ringing (a sense of a note being held about a second after it ends because it is still ringing) that does not sound like a standing wave to me.

You have some good ideas. Thanks, Mike

Re: modify Spendor S3/5 add damping

I think you are correct…that sounds like a panel resonance. Even if it’s a standing wave at 500hz you would primarily hear it out the port or the driver opening. Ditto if it was a driver resonance.

You could rebuild the enclosure with the same wall thickness and just add a several internal braces to stiffen the walls. You just make it a tad deeper to offset for the volume of the new braces.

BTW there are a lot of great TM DIY designs out there from this website as well as HT Guide forum. Not to knock your speaker, but you can get a lot higher quality driver and crossover components for your money if you are willing to build the cabinets.

Have fun.

Mike